Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    An oppressed people reclaiming a slur is different from the oppressor using it.
    That's true, there are things I would accept another Greek calling me that would earn a German or anyone else a (probably) violent response if they said it. That's true for most any ethnicity, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    How is this thread any better? It is in and of itself a call to the denizens of MMO-C to grab their pitchforks and bitch about how offended they are by opinions.
    I think, it's just an attempt for our resident conservatives to try and salvage the Kathy Griffin thing. Can't have the world thinking they're the perpetually offended ones when there are libruls out there writing in obscure blogs about how offended they are.

No it's not. Either it's okay or it isn't. Blacks aren't slaves now and none of them know any slaves. Stop bringing that shit up. All races have been slaves throughout history, including whites. Nobody except SJW's believe any race deserves privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    its been a long time since they were oppressed, if we want to talk about history how about the oppression and slavery in the roman empire?
    1. Oppression of African Americans continues to this day.
    2. Slavery itself wasn't ended that long ago. There are young people whose great grandparents were slaves. How long do you think it will take your lineage to pull themselves out of the legacy of your ignorance? I'm guessing more than a couple generations.

Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    1. Oppression of African Americans continues to this day.
    If you're not american then it's fine to use the word? Since we didn't oppress african americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Context is everything:
    [video=youtube;prqM4Q9zQFE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prqM4Q9zQFE[video]
    so, is this senator he's speaking to a racist or something? i don't understand why he'd use it sarcastically like that.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's a weird way to spell "circle jerk."
    Everybody is welcome to post. Not everything you think is absolute.

Although this might get locked now that people are talking about race.

I don't care...

People have done ALOT worse...

This is child's play....

Deleted
    I think it's way past time for people who aren't in certain groups to stop being offended for those groups, and to stop fighting those groups' battles unsolicited. Especially when most of those people are typically privileged caucasian heterosexual men, who have zero problems of any kind, and thus way too much time to spend on other people's problems.

Absolutely fucking disgusting. Time to mobilize the basement dwellers and start #FireMaher. I am so sick of this garbage being thrown around because if they're liberals it's fine to use any racial slur because they wear the cloak of tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    so, is this senator he's speaking to a racist or something? i don't understand why he'd use it sarcastically like that.
    It's a term that dates back to slavery. There were slaves that worked in the fields and a supposedly higher class of slave that worked in the houses.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

When I was a kid I had a group of black friends (i'm white). They used the word here and there. I said it one time in the same manner they used the word.

They didn't panic. They didn't lose their shit. They just said it wasn't cool since I was white. I said okay and that was the end of it. No one hated anyone else. We just went on with our lives.

But yeah, context matters. If I had used the word against them in anger the outcome probably would have been different.

Deleted
    The author of the tweeted article is black, so...
    OK. And everyone else who claims to be "disgusted" and "offended" by this is as well?

And?

No, really. And?

oh nooooo context is given... and its not as bad as people on twitter are making it out to be!? imagine that!!

Did he say it to a black person? No.
    Did he say it to disparage the black race? No.
    Did he say it in anger to describe a black person? No
    Did he say it to insult himself? Why yes

Really I think VERY few people are ACTUALLY upset over this and are just seeking attention. They wanna go

OOH OOOH LOOK AT ME! MY TWEETS HAVE CAUSED A CELEBRITY TO LOSE HIS JOB! IM WINNING! IM WINNING IM WINNING! NOW I MUST CONTINUE MY ACTIVISM!!! *browses tumblr*

7+ Year Old Account
    Cultural appropriation of the term "house nigger" is the issue NOT that he used the word "nigger".

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    good to know i can use it freely.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    And?

No, really. And?
    Hey if bill nye can get his own thread so can bill maher

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Cultural appropriation of the term "house nigger" is the issue NOT that he used the word "nigger".
    People who are not black being "offended" and "disgusted" by this is the real cultural appropriation here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    OK. And everyone else who claims to be "disgusted" and "offended" by this is as well?
    You can be displeased with something even if it's not targeted towards you. I'm not sure how that's a foreign concept for you.
    Beta Club Brosquad