Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    That question is going to be answered differently by everyone as "fat" and "fit" are vague terms that can be defined in any which way.

If you're concerned about your overall fat/fit status, then ask your doctor. It's never as cut and dry as just altering your diet or activity levels like all of these articles will tell you. Those are good starting points, but not always the solution. Also looks only say so much. I'm a little squishy in the belly (those love handles tho) but my body fat % is 16% which is well within the healthy range. A doctor can take the measurements, crunch the numbers and accurately tell you these things, not some forum poster.

And if you're concerned about a stranger's fat/fit status, then mind your own damn business.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

When I had a doctor and mentioned BMI, he told me not to pay any attention to it. I had obviously gained weight in the years going to him, weighed 165lbs at the first, last trip I was tipping 200. He said that a lot of that weight-gain was in my shoulders and asked point blank; "BMI says you're obese, what do you think?"

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    he is not wrong about BMI being bs stat - in case of people with decent muscles mass it simply doesnt work
    What percentage of the general population do you think is obese by BMI as a measurement, but not by body fat measurement?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    When I had a doctor and mentioned BMI, he told me not to pay any attention to it. I had obviously gained weight in the years going to him, weighed 165lbs at the first, last trip I was tipping 200. He said that a lot of that weight-gain was in my shoulders and asked point blank; "BMI says you're obese, what do you think?"
    This is exactly why I don't really get the complaints about BMI though - it's a simple tool that's a good first check perspective. If at a moments glance you wind up seeing someone that's plainly fit, then obviously they're in the small bucket of people that are heavier, but muscular. This isn't mistake that any doctor is likely to make.

For the average person, they'd do better to engage in introspection than to insist up and down that BMI don't real and they're definitely not fat. Well over half of Americans are just plain fat. Telling them otherwise isn't doing them any favors.

Well...I think my doc was just encouraging that common sense could be a rule of thumb. He knew I worked out and stuff...and BMI shouldn't be any consideration for those that do work out and eat well. (Blood pressure was 116/71...almost textbook normal. He said, "Whatever you're doing, keep doing it.")

How about someone who is lets say 6 foot tall 250 lbs with a lot of it being fat but they run like 5 miles 3 times per week and have lost 50 lbs? Are thy fit because of the cardio endurance?
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    How about someone who is lets say 6 foot tall 250 lbs with a lot of it being fat but they run like 5 miles 3 times per week and have lost 50 lbs? Are thy fit because of the cardio endurance?
    It'd be a pretty low bar for "fit" if a fat guy jogging a moderate bit qualified for "fit", but I suppose this would be well above the fitness of a median American. I probably wouldn't call this person, but obviously I'd need a lot more info to really know that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    I'm willing to bet that this guy
    vincewilfork_overalls1
    <snip>
    are healthier than a large amount of posters on this forum.
    While I'm sure there are also some pretty unhealthy people on this forum, I don't really get why people keep posting Vince Wilfork as a picture of health and fitness. OK, yeah, the man is strong, but his conditioning isn't good even by the standards of other fat dudes in the NFL. He only plays about half of the Texans defensive snaps. During his prime in NE, it was still ~75%.

From a sheer health perspective, I don't get why you think he isn't pretty likely to die young.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    isn't obese a bit beyond fat?
    Obese in your head is probably like Peter Griffin levels of fat , obese in reality is maybe like 3-4 stone above a normal BMI.

But, regardless - yes, obesity and being fat hinder your bodys endurance, news at 11 and I say this as a guy with a BMI of 34.7

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It'd be a pretty low bar for "fit" if a fat guy jogging a moderate bit qualified for "fit", but I suppose this would be well above the fitness of a median American. I probably wouldn't call this person, but obviously I'd need a lot more info to really know that.

- - - Updated - - -

While I'm sure there are also some pretty unhealthy people on this forum, I don't really get why people keep posting Vince Wilfork as a picture of health and fitness. OK, yeah, the man is strong, but his conditioning isn't good even by the standards of other fat dudes in the NFL. He only plays about half of the Texans defensive snaps. During his prime in NE, it was still ~75%.

From a sheer health perspective, I don't get why you think he isn't pretty likely to die young.
    Because, outside of rich people, the health expectancy of your average person in the US is declining and they're just as likely, if not more likely, to die younger than he is.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-young/510455/

So a guy who not only had people closely monitoring his health and diet (during the season) but is rich enough to afford trainers and personal care, is probably going to outlast your average forum goer, despite his relative unhealthiness compared to the rest of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by hypermode View Post

Jesus christ do people even read the OP?

In this research the definition of obese was a BMI of over 30, which takes into account age, gender, height and weight.
    )
    Yes we do. But do read the posts? nope not likely. You mention the scientific definition of obese by BMI. Which is considered a relatively weak indicator when used on individuals. its a tool for looking at populations. I asked a very specific question, hence i also asked about classification. Never mind ignoring the rest of the post.
    And yes its still unhealthy to be too fat.(and its also unhealthy to be too thin ) Being able to swim is not hard as it is a sport which counteracts your weight.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I've never seen a fat old person.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Your signature quotes Ben Franklin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    I know this 'obese' woman who swims 2.5km every morning. Yes, you absolutely can be healthy at EVERY size. Weight is a poor indicator of someone's general well-being.
    I'd back this up as fact, I am weight ninja. I weigh 365 but look like I am only around 225. I bike to the office every day and that's 7 miles each way, most of it being up hill. Sure it's an easy ride back but thats beside the point. I've been told by people out walking etc that theres no fucking way they could bike up them and they are stick thin. Same with work. Dude told me he works in the gym for 2 hours a day but couldnt bike as far as I to without atlease stopping once and thats back to my house lol.
    Remember, A Man may break a Woman's Heart - But a Woman will destroy a Man's life. - SJK @ the #Antiwokenessworld

They all die by 36. They have the same life expectancy of a 1980s Buick.

Back from the dead~!

Of course you're here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    They all die by 36. They have the same life expectancy of a 1980s Buick.
    Lol.

Life expectancy is cut short, but not age 36 short. Boogie9288's in his 40s at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    So overweight NFL Defensive players are unfit .. Yeah Right !

They all look unfit, unhealthy and quite possibly a heart attack waiting to happen if you throw genetic predisposition into it as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    They all look unfit
    Yeah, and that's what it's all about, isn't it; how people look. Appearance is everything. Brainwashing and indoctrination, that has been going on for long enough, and people have this certain view, that they think they came up with naturally "because it's just right", how other people should look like.

Funny thing is, that view has been different throughout history, because of said brainwashing and indoctrination being different. Also, interestingly enough, you could have a person, with almost no fat on their body, skinny even, or slightly muscular with a sixpack, and yet, they might have a horribly high cholesterol. But, you know, looks are all that matters.

Then you've got people like Tennis, spreading their own gospel on these forums, who are like these biblethumping zealots, waving their bibles at people's faces, except for him, his bible is a Calvin Klein ad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Yeah, and that's what it's all about, isn't it; how people look. Appearance is everything. Brainwashing and indoctrination, that has been going on for long enough, and people have this certain view, that they think they came up with naturally "because it's just right", how other people should look like.

Funny thing is, that view has been different throughout history, because of said brainwashing and indoctrination being different. Also, interestingly enough, you could have a person, with almost no fat on their body, skinny even, or slightly muscular with a sixpack, and yet, they might have a horribly high cholesterol. But, you know, looks are all that matters.

Then you've got people like Tennis, spreading their own gospel on these forums, who are like these biblethumping zealots, waving their bibles at people's faces, except for him, his bible is a Calvin Klein ad.
    No being unfit is what matters. They are all obese and carry their weight mainly in the abdomen it's the absolute worst set up for heart disease. What terminology would you prefer? They "appear unfit" or perhaps just call a duck a duck they are all obese, unfit and unhealthy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    They "appear unfit"
    So everyone who "appears fit" is fit. OK, gotcha.

Being fat and fit is actually impossible, by definition.

One being outside of healthy BMI and one being within.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindflower View Post
    One being outside of healthy BMI and one being within.
    You need to be reminded how BMI is complete BS? BMI simply looks at your height and weight, and muscle weighs too, you know.