Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    Can tell you did not watch the movie, because your opinion doesn't really feel like an opinion but more a collection of whining about things that make 0 sense.
    Have to agree.
    Gadot's performance was pretty good when we see her lose her innocence about war. She looked appropriately horrified and dismayed when she realizes her beliefs doesn't quite match up with the brutal reality. And that crisis of faith she had, turned around when she realized (to her sorrow) that she could put her belief in humanity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sooooooo goooooood

The movie was pretty good. It dragged on a bit at the beginning but was over all enjoyable. The first action scenes against the Germans were amazing.

But Comic Book movies are continuing the trend of kind of lame main villains. Ares is basically Satan, whispering in peoples ears and saying "I only told them what to do, I didn't make them do it" thing. I preferred Ares as the god who's sole existence was to make war, and without war he wouldn't exist.

Just came back from it.

Well, I was proven wrong. I thought this would be another overly edgy and drab Snyder piece, but it's actually a pretty enjoyable movie. I have nitpicks in regards to the plot and premise, and saw the plot twists happen a mile away, but this is definitely DC's best movie in recent years, saying that as someone who only kinda enjoyed Man of Steel and didn't like BvS. The lead actors do a very fine job, the writing switches from funny to more dramatic with minimal effort, the pacing is just right, and the action scenes are pretty well done. A bit too much slo-mo, but that is in every way preferable to overly edited shaky cam nonsense.

I also liked that that movie used its WW1 setting fairly well without dragging the hero into the mud with it. It added a dark bend to Wonder Woman's adventures and a lesson on war's reality, but they didn't darken her character too much in the process. She goes from naive young girl to a more mature yet still optimistic hero, without falling into the trap of becoming a brooding waste of space. The scene where she storms the trench and has the soldiers follow her, that's the sort of inspiring stuff you need to have in a movie starring larger-than-life superheroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennard View Post
    I lol'ed. Thank you.

Yea, I agree she is VERY attractive.
    Imagine if life really was fair, and all the bad things that happen to you happen because you deserved them.

*Looks at thread title*

*Wiggles eyebrows*

Just got back from the movie.. loved it. best DC Film to date.. I hope Justice League is as good. my expectations have been raised a bit now they have shown they can pull off a good DC Movie.
    Imagine if life really was fair, and all the bad things that happen to you happen because you deserved them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Just came back from it.

Well, I was proven wrong. I thought this would be another overly edgy and drab Snyder piece, but it's actually a pretty enjoyable movie. I have nitpicks in regards to the plot and premise, and saw the plot twists happen a mile away, but this is definitely DC's best movie in recent years, saying that as someone who only kinda enjoyed Man of Steel and didn't like BvS. The lead actors do a very fine job, the writing switches from funny to more dramatic with minimal effort, the pacing is just right, and the action scenes are pretty well done. A bit too much slo-mo, but that is in every way preferable to overly edited shaky cam nonsense.

I also liked that that movie used its WW1 setting fairly well without dragging the hero into the mud with it. It added a dark bend to Wonder Woman's adventures and a lesson on war's reality, but they didn't darken her character too much in the process. She goes from naive young girl to a more mature yet still optimistic hero, without falling into the trap of becoming a brooding waste of space. The scene where she storms the trench and has the soldiers follow her, that's the sort of inspiring stuff you need to have in a movie starring larger-than-life superheroes.
    Every moment in the film where a stupid writer /director would have her fucking brood, she comes up on top instead. Was refreshing as fuck. even when the plane explodes, she reacts like i wanted her to, put on her rage face and fucking kill everybody lol. Like i keep saying, Gadot has one good point as an actress, she has a very expressive face thats hard to look away from and easy to decipher.

This movie could have been shit so easily too. Like during the trench scene. When they started talking about no mens land, i was like oh come on. Are they really gona go there, you started so well movie. I was so ready for a version of:BUT IM A WOMEN. The movie just fucking knew man and im 100% certain some joker had it in the script and somebody down the line, read it and said woah not that shit again. Please can wonder women make sense. Ok what could she say that doesent sound like a fucking joke. And that scene was saved. After that scene, i felt like ok movie, i like you a lot.

Im gona head canon that Patty Jenkins changed the line. She is the one that had them add Trevor back into the story as far as i remember reading. Patty is my wonder women now.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2017-06-04 at 05:14 AM.

I saw it on Friday, it wasn't amazing and certainly had its flaws but it was pretty solid, unlike its predecessors. It wasn't a big pile of Snyderesque crap that was edited by a chimp on adderall and the script was thrown into a blender, so that's an improvement. And the protagonist was actually likeable and engaging, heaven fucking forfend.

Overall had a pretty good time. Actually the worst part of it was the framing device where basically the whole movie is Wonder Woman looking at a photo in a museum. And reminding us that it's going to have to fold back into the shitheap that is the DCEU.

Lesser flaws: the villains, particularly Ludendorff (he's a bait and switch villain but even so). I actually liked Doctor Poison, the actress was great, she just wasn't given enough time to fully develop. The action scenes get unpleasantly Snydery, particularly with the really obnoxious overuse of slow-mo. This isn't 2005 for fuck's sake. Also the third act has a pretty typical ending, shot at night with drab colours and CGI... but nowhere near as bad as the other DC films in that regard and at least you actually care about what happens in it because the characters are properly motivated and you give a shit about what's going on.

Also thought it had a great supporting cast, everyone was good but Robin Wright was a real standout.

Basically, I think DC just caught up to roughly Marvel Phase One. Kind of like Captain America 1 + Thor 1, or a bit better, but not quite up to the level of Iron Man 1.

Quote Originally Posted by pvrwizard View Post
    Just got back from the movie.. loved it. best DC Film to date.
    Not a high bar to beat kek.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Saw it today, easily the best of the DC movies (not counting the Dark Knight trilogy).

I liked Gal Gadot a lot. Chris Pine did good. it was about a female protagonist without being preachy or manbashing.

I'd definitely put it up with Thor or Captain America, probably even the first Iron Man. An overall great origin story movie.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I also liked that that movie used its WW1 setting fairly well without dragging the hero into the mud with it.
    Have she a reson to join the war on the Entente powers (Allies) side? That is more then Germans are bad who need a explanation to beat them up?

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Have she a reson to join the war on the Entente powers (Allies) side? That is more then Germans are bad who need a explanation to beat them up?
    Shes not there to join anyone, shes there to end the war.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just saw it yesterday. Really don't understand why some people are applauding it so hard. It's probably the best of the Snyderverse DC films, but that's not a high bar. I'd still rank it below most of the Marvel Cinematic Universe suite of films.

Things I liked:
    - Gadot pulled the character of Diana off fairly well. No complaints about her acting.
    - WWI setting is underused and a great pick.
    - Ares was great up until the last 2 minutes (more on that).
    - The setup all seemed fairly faithful to the comics (though I don't read DC nearly as much as Marvel).
    - They made the Lasso of Truth seem awesome.

Things I got annoyed/angry about;
    - Really wish Gadot had bulked up just a LITTLE bit for the role. She was just this side of being overly slim, to me.
    - The romance with Pine's character felt forced and pointless. And then aggressively stupid (more on that). A roll in the hay would've been fine, but Wonder Woman doesn't need a romantic interest.
    - The ending was mind-bogglingly stupid. And by that I mean literally the final minute or so with the big bad. Everything up to that was epic and fun. And then it turns into "Diana can't figure out how to beat Ares until she remembers that a man said he loves her", and she pulls a "love is my strength" bit of garbage and blasts him with a lightning bolt that somehow works because shut up. It's a simple fix, in the writing, too. Change "love" to "hope" or "to protect humanity from the likes of you", and all works and flows better. You don't need to make it about love just because she's a chick, guys.
    - The finale should have been "you can't beat the God of War at his own game, by fighting him. He will ALWAYS win. Because he's the God of that. This is why the other Gods all died when they tried that." But Diana can stop him, and you can set it up for an eternal battle between Ares and Diana, as he tries to corrupt Mankind and she stands against it. They had that RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM, and said "nah, she nukes him with a big lightning bolt." C'mon.

In all, the movie's perfectly on-point to me until the celebration in Veld. That's where it starts to fall apart, and it felt to me like some studio wonks forced rewrites in that caused it, because it would be SO easy to write them back out. It was really let down narratively, IMO, by way that finale went.
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-06-04 at 07:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tgoodchild View Post
    Maybe you mean after that point, because to me the celebration seemed vital to the story as it's Diana's first positive interaction in Man's World with something other than the military. It's an opportunity for her to see the beauty in humanity despite all the darkness, which sets up the final showdown and her reaction to Ares' prodding. She knows humanity is better than it's violence thanks to that celebration scene.
    Specifically, it's the point where she and Steve sleep together. It started a thread that didn't really have any existence prior, and which led to all my real complaints with the eventual finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    Can tell you did not watch the movie, because your opinion doesn't really feel like an opinion but more a collection of whining about things that make 0 sense.
    I can tell you didn't even read my post, because I thought the movie was fine.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    That's a peeve I have with the movie, in that WW's whole deal is to bring an end to the war, but by doing so she still effectively takes the side of the Allies and mows down dozens of faceless German troops in a way that would make Captain America proud. Granted, she doesn't use her sword too often so I assume a good number of said soldiers aren't outright killed. But the poor sap that gets jump-kicked by a super strong demi-goddess through a two-story tall window can't exactly have his health improved by the experience, can he?

It's not a big deal, mind you, and it kinda works with the heroine's naivety and inexperience of real wars. But I still had this in the back of my mind when watching it.

Deleted
    Got bored of superhero movies a few years ago... pass.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    Got bored of superhero movies a few years ago... pass.
    Thanks for your useless input
    Be feared, or be fuel

10+ Year Old Account
    The villain reminded me of his Justice League cartoon incarnation.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    The villain reminded me of his Justice League cartoon incarnation.
    At least he wasent a troll from lord of the ring with horns.