Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New computer! What you guys think?

Hello everyone!

My 7th year old computer is nearing its end.. RIP!

I'm gonna build it myself of course and here is what I've found so far:

UPDATE ON BUILD:

CPU 2.600,-
    Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Processor
    Socket-LGA1151, Quad Core, 4.2GHz, 8MB cache, 91W, 14nm, HD630, uden køler
    https://www.komplett.dk/product/9046...ake-processor#

GFX
    1080 Ti

Motherboard 2.000,-
    MSI Z270 Gaming M7, Socket-1151
    Bundkort, ATX, Z270, DDR4, 3xPCIe-x16, SLI/CFX, 3xM.2, U.2, Mystic Light RGB
    https://www.komplett.dk/product/9097...7-socket-1151#

SSD- System 240gb 1.050,-
    Samsung 960 EVO SSD M.2 2280 - 250GB
    SSD (Solid state drive), 250 GB, intern, Datahastighed: 3200 MBps (læs) / 1500 MBps (skriv), 512 MB LPDDR3 cache, IOPS: 330000 (læs) / 300000 (skriv), M.2 2280 (80mm)
    NVMe 1.2 (Non-Volatile Memory Express), 256-bit AES kryptering, TCG Opal Encryption - Samsung Polaris Controller
    https://www.proshop.dk/SSD/Samsung-9...-250GB/2569672

SSD- Games 512gb 2.600,-
    Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD
    M.2 2280, PCIe, NVMe, up to 3500/2100MB/s read/write, 5 year warranty,cloning-SW
    https://www.komplett.dk/product/9031...b-m2-pcie-ssd#

HDD - Storage
    current 4TB HDD

RAM: 2.900-
    G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3200 C14 DC - 32GB
    Hukommelse (RAM), 32 GB: 2 x 16 GB (Dual Channel), DIMM 288-pin, DDR4, 3200 MHz / PC4-25600, CL14-14-14-34, 1.35 V, ikke bufferet, Ikke-paritet - G.Skill TridentZ series
    https://www.proshop.dk/RAM/GSkill-Tr...C-32GB/2531833

PSU: 1.400,-
    https://www.proshop.dk/Stroemforsyni...tified/2568089

Tower: 1600,-
    Corsair Graphite 780T - white
    https://www.proshop.dk/Kabinet/Corsa...r-Hvid/2452488

I know many of the parts are expensive, but im that type of guy who don't buy new part every year of so. My old computer lasted for 5 years and my goal is for this one to do the very same.

I will be playing in 1440p with everything on max.

I am having my doubt on the motherboard,however, I want one from MSI! So.. what do you guys think?

And i'm a intel fanboy so no amd :P

Thanks!
    Last edited by Xofa; 2017-06-06 at 06:37 PM.

I'm planning to build new pc as well. My current is 7 years old too. I was going for same as your specs buy my friends told me to wait for the x299 motherboard. What do you think? Is it worth it? Even though it will be expensive

A few suggestions.

1)Your second M2 has no reason to exist, i am pretty sure if i search enough i will find out than those m2 slots share bandwidth or share bandwidth with the SATA ports so when you put more they slow down, but i cant be bothered, they used to do that, maybe they fixed it but thats not the problem.

Its better to go for a SSD Samsung Pro for the 10 year warranty instead since you are gonna throw the money at a 512GB one, simply for the warranty.

Plus you wont understand a difference either way

2)Your motherboard cant support those RAM, change them to 3200 or even higher to 3600, the money saved from the M2 to SSD can do that.

32GB is a waste of money, 8GB is still more than enough apart from crap bugged console ports that cant understand the RAM exists and require extra virtual memory, therefor 16GB is more than enough for anything.

3)PSU is a massive overkill, 550W is more than enough, put 600-650w if you arent sure, but 1000?

Waste of money, even if you are gonna SLI, something along 850W would be more than enough.

Prefer a different brand for lower PSU's, EVGA/Superflower/Seasonic/XFX/Be Quiet.

4)Motherboard is perfectly fine, but if you wanna spend money and goof around with RGB, check ASUS motherboards with G-Skill RAM and their whole AURA program stuff.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-06-05 at 09:20 AM.

potis: My second SSD?

Samsung 960 PRO - it has up to 3500/2100MB read/write? I was told by a friend that I should definitely go for M2 SSDs, which is why I found those, however, always nice with a second opinion! The SSD Samsung Pro is no M2 as far as I can tell hmm?

What about this motherboard instead?
    https://www.komplett.dk/product/9097...tanium-s-1151#

I would like 32GB since I'm doing a lot of autocad/photoshop and video editing. Currently im at 16GB which is already to low for me.

The PSU I have now is my old one, which i'm gonna reuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Xofa View Post

Samsung 960 PRO - it has up to 3500/2100MB read/write? I was told by a friend that I should definitely go for M2 SSDs, which is why I found those, however, always nice with a second opinion! The SSD Samsung Pro is no M2 as far as I can tell hmm?

I would like 32GB since I'm doing a lot of autocad/photoshop and video editing. Currently im at 16GB which is already to low for me.

Should mention those stuff before hand.

No i meant M2 speeds despite sounding all awesome are not very much different in real life daily usage and it would be a better idea to go for 10 years warranty over 5 years warranty for the "but the M2 speed!" which is not there either way.

You will not see any difference between the M2 and the SSD in games that warranties not going for the 5 extra years of Warranty from picking the Samsung Pro

Secondly, the motherboards are all the same after a price range, whichever you use you cant go wrong, choose the one you think would look better in your PC while having your needs for ports, thats it.

I just suggested looking at ASUS cause you can combo with G-Skill RAM and an ASUS 1080 Ti, along with their Aura program and goof around with RGB if you show wish.

You dont -have- to change anything, just look into what you wanna play around with, its your PC, motherboard choice wise, anything above 150$ value is pretty much the same in 99% of cases, just overpriced shit.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-06-05 at 09:32 AM.

The thing with the 2nd m.2 is that you wont really see any benefit of using it over an SSD in the first place. Sure M.2 is incredible to have your OS on, but anything outside that has no real benefit.

It is fine that you reuse the PSU, however it is still way above. Higher number does not mean anything better, infact shooting above by alot is actually worse, since you are most likely outside its performance efficiency, which means you burn more electricity due to the PSU doing a more inefficient power transformation.
    Last edited by Alextros; 2017-06-05 at 09:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The PSU is massively overkill, there's no reason to get 1000W unless you're gonna do extreme overclocking or triple crossfire or something like that.
    Even if you wanna do SLI graphics cards at some point a 750W is more than enough.

The Fractal Design R5 is a really quite dated case these days imo. What are your requirements? Miditower, fulltower? There are several cases in those categories that I'd choose over the R5, as well as some interesting new ones shown on Computex right now.

Hmm the Asus Aura I have nothing to benefit from since I couldn't care less about LED lightning :P My computer is on the floor, all covered in a black case! 1 time a year I clean it for dust and that's it basically

extros: So it would be "stupid" to take an M2 for games? A regular SSD would do basically the same? Like 1:1 you say?

Regarding my PSU: Since I got my 1000w, and I know its way overkill, would it be more beneficial for me to get a lower like 600w? Remember I'm getting a 1080 ti.

Shakadam: My requirements are quite simple actually.. a fulltower with awesome air flow and zero noise!

I know i won't be having zero noise while going for air flow, but as low as possible while having a good temperature is what i'm going for!
    Feel free to hit me up with a new tower + other parts you would think would be perfect for me.

I really appreciate all the feedback! Thanks again

Little off topic, would you guys advice to wait for x299 motherboards ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sowyer View Post
    Little off topic, would you guys advice to wait for x299 motherboards ?
    Waste of money for gaming.

All 7740k will have is overly expensive motherboards and quad ddr4 support.

Maybe less heating issues but for a gaming PC no reason to wait imo.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Waste of money for gaming.

All 7740k will have is overly expensive motherboards and quad ddr4 support.

Maybe less heating issues but for a gaming PC no reason to wait imo.
    Kaby Lake-X doesnt support quad channel memory.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

OT: Motherboard is obviously overkill, you can save a lot here. Why focus on MSI? Look at something like ASUS Strix Z270H. Next, why are you getting a worse SSD for system than for games? It should be vice versa. 32GB RAM is overkill. R5 is a pretty dated case now, there are a lot of better options. 1000W PSU is major overkill, 650W is maximum you're going to need (SLI shouldnt even be considered imo). What about a CPU cooler?
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    OT: Motherboard is obviously overkill, you can save a lot here. Why focus on MSI? Look at something like ASUS Strix Z270H. Next, why are you getting a worse SSD for system than for games? It should be vice versa. 32GB RAM is overkill. R5 is a pretty dated case now, there are a lot of better options. 1000W PSU is major overkill, 650W is maximum you're going to need (SLI shouldnt even be considered imo). What about a CPU cooler?
    Reason for MSI is simple.. I have had good experiences with them and .. don't crucify me now! I'm not a OC guy.. I killer 1 CPU and 1 God alfeady! So I simply love the fact I can press a button to do the OC for me. My 2500k has been running since it came out being oc'ed to 4,2GHz. And I know I know it's not any good way to OC but it gets the job done for me.

Thunderball:worse ssd for my system? I don't follow .. care to throw in some suggestions to what I should get instead hmm?

CPU cooler I got a noctura one + for the tower

Reason for MSI is simple.. I have had good experiences with them and .. don't crucify me now! I'm not a OC guy.. I killer 1 CPU and 1 God alfeady! So I simply love the fact I can press a button to do the OC for me. My 2500k has been running since it came out being oc'ed to 4,2GHz. And I know I know it's not any good way to OC but it gets the job done for me.

Thunderball:worse ssd for my system? I don't follow .. care to throw in some suggestions to what I should get instead hmm?

CPU cooler I got a noctura one + for the tower
    4.2 GHz is not considered a meaningful OC for a 2500K. Those chips took 4.6-4.8 GHz quite easily. Auto-OC is no good way to OC and there is no reason to settle for it.

SSD: MP500 is inferior to 960 PRO. You should have a better SSD for your system, it's fine to have a SATA SSD for games, you wont notice any difference. So my suggestion would be 500 gig 960 PRO for OS+your primary games and a SATA SSD (not necessarily SATA formfactor, but interface) for everything else to save money. If you need to store content obviously get a HDD, SSD is pointless for that.

Noctura one?

4.2 GHz is not considered a meaningful OC for a 2500K. Those chips took 4.6-4.8 GHz quite easily. Auto-OC is no good way to OC and there is no reason to settle for it.

SSD: MP500 is inferior to 960 PRO. You should have a better SSD for your system, it's fine to have a SATA SSD for games, you wont notice any difference. So my suggestion would be 500 gig 960 PRO for OS+your primary games and a SATA SSD (not necessarily SATA formfactor, but interface) for everything else to save money. If you need to store content obviously get a HDD, SSD is pointless for that.

Noctura one?
    No, but it's A LOT better than the standard 2.8GHz or was it more? hehe! A very nice trade off for a guy who "don't" OC.

I must say I don't understand what you mean by saying I should get a better SSD for my system? M2- Corsair Force M2 3000/2400MB/s read/write ?? It's a whole new area this for me and from what I could understand the M2 was the new thing when it comes to SSDs.

Some Noctua that will fit my CPU.

Kaby Lake-X doesnt support quad channel memory.
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...cessors,2.html

Not my fault when they fuck up like this. scroll at the 7740 and you will see.

No, but it's A LOT better than the standard 2.8GHz or was it more? hehe! A very nice trade off for a guy who "don't" OC.
    3.7 is stock boost for a 2500K.

I must say I don't understand what you mean by saying I should get a better SSD for my system? M2- Corsair Force M2 3000/2400MB/s read/write ?? It's a whole new area this for me and from what I could understand the M2 was the new thing when it comes to SSDs.
    Dont look at those numbers in the specification, they have nothing to do with reality. Read reviews. 960 PRO is a faster and more reliable SSD and you're putting your system on a Force MP500. M.2 is just a form factor (when SSD looks like a RAM module), interface still can be SATA or NVMe (both of those drives are M.2 btw).

That's a very broad range. "Some" Noctua is not always enough for a 7700K.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...cessors,2.html

Not my fault when they fuck up like this. scroll at the 7740 and you will see.
    Their first table clearly stands that Kaby Lake-X only supports dual channel though.

ASUS has a built in OC tuning program. It put my 2500k to 5 GHz I think; it goes through a process adjusting things and restarting to find the max stable setting it can. I have a high end MSI board and its 'push button' OC is no where near as good or stable as the ASUS one or doing it yourself from my personal experience, but where as I had an amazing 2500k, I have a pretty poor 6700k, so some of it can come down to that as well.

You can get M.2 if you want the clean look/install, no wires. It won't perform in gaming any better than a decent 2.5" SATA offering. You DO NOT NEED a Samsung 960 ... trust me, I have an Intel 750 series PCI-E SSD. Others will tell you it matters, and they don't have something in that speed range. My PC may boot up in under 10 seconds from off, or something crazy fast like that; but my Stormblood benchmark scores show that load times are roughly the same as people with 'normal' SSDs that aren't 6 years old. Real world normal usage, you won't tell the difference between the nvme ssd and a sata one unless you are constantly transferring data between two of them or doing some read/write intensive stuff ... which gaming, browsing, and turning your system on and off is not an example of.

If you are only getting one graphics card, 400-450w would be enough, 650-750w if you are going 1080ti in sli.

A 7700k would turbo good enough for most people without an manual overclock tbh; so waiting on the next series is probably a good idea for the slight improvements intel gives each generation.

You could probably go cheaper on the RAM as well, as it has been shown the speed makes minimal difference in gaming outside an APU, and even then, there is a point of diminishing returns.

Some coolers are overrated; as I had a coolermaster hyper 212+ (a $20 air cooler) that managed to keep a 2500k at 5 GHz cool while gaming ... so, I don't buy into the hype; even though I have a dark rock pro 3 for my 6700k, I got it because the black cooler matched my build and I didn't want to go AIO and couldn't afford custom water cooling the way I'd want to do it.
    My PC Build 4790k @ 4.7 GHz @ 1.28v; 1080 @ +175 core, +500 memory

Quote Originally Posted by zeropeorth View Post
    ASUS has a built in OC tuning program. It put my 2500k to 5 GHz I think; it goes through a process adjusting things and restarting to find the max stable setting it can. I have a high end MSI board and its 'push button' OC is no where near as good or stable as the ASUS one or doing it yourself from my personal experience, but where as I had an amazing 2500k, I have a pretty poor 6700k, so some of it can come down to that as well.
    All software OC is pretty garbage when it comes to BIOS settings. There are too many variables software doesnt take into account/doesnt have access to.

You could probably go cheaper on the RAM as well, as it has been shown the speed makes minimal difference in gaming outside an APU, and even then, there is a point of diminishing returns.
    RAM is pretty expensive in general so unless it's something crazy like DDR4-3400 and up or DDR4-3000 and CL14 there is not much of difference in price either. Unless it's RGB (huh...).

Some coolers are overrated; as I had a coolermaster hyper 212+ (a $20 air cooler) that managed to keep a 2500k at 5 GHz cool while gaming ... so, I don't buy into the hype; even though I have a dark rock pro 3 for my 6700k, I got it because the black cooler matched my build and I didn't want to go AIO and couldn't afford custom water cooling the way I'd want to do it.
    Sandy Bridges have solder under the lid, which is not true for every other CPU Intel released later.

Thanks again for your help! I did a few adjustments, I will post them later on once I have a complete setup to show you!

Regarding tower case.. I would love a full tower! I've been looking at Corsair 780T Graphite Case
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIyPeXUfFKE

Seems pretty solid hmm? My only concern is.. is it "quiet" compared to my Fracture Design R5 ??