Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    We'll see how they pan out, really. Ninja was the same way with tons of them, but by late Syrcus Tower I was seeing less. By World of Darkness and Heavensward, it was typical for me to be the one ninja of all 24 people in the raid pretty often.

Samurai could go either way, I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    I imagine most Samurai will be like the Dark Knight of Heavensward. Zones full of them when fate grinding was a thing. Now it will just be a giant blob of Samurai outside of Quarrymill. And just like the vast majority of those Dark Knights, scores of them will have little to no concept of how their job is supposed to be played. At least this time around, they are only DPS and not people wishing their class was one.
    This probably, RDM will be popular with the FFXI players and SAM will be weeblord par excellence tier for the first month till people hear bard is easier or something as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    This probably, RDM will be popular with the FFXI players and SAM will be weeblord par excellence tier for the first month till people hear bard is easier or something as usual.
    From all the infos available, SAM will do highest DPS but it's the job with the highest skill ceiling. (While RDM seems to be the easiest job of all)

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    I know, it was a sarcastic response to his response of my response to his post.
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, haha my mistake for not picking up on that one!

- - - Updated - - -

I imagine most Samurai will be like the Dark Knight of Heavensward. Zones full of them when fate grinding was a thing. Now it will just be a giant blob of Samurai outside of Quarrymill. And just like the vast majority of those Dark Knights, scores of them will have little to no concept of how their job is supposed to be played. At least this time around, they are only DPS and not people wishing their class was one.
    I wonder if they'll pull a Blizzard and make past content irrelevant when it comes to XP gains. Have they said if POTD will still be viable for xp? I haven't ran much of it but I'd like to once I come back

Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    From all the infos available, SAM will do highest DPS but it's the job with the highest skill ceiling. (While RDM seems to be the easiest job of all)
    Which is exactly why i expect a steep drop off while RDM starts low but remains static. Mostly i expect BLM mains to just go Red.

Quote Originally Posted by Extremeties View Post
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, haha my mistake for not picking up on that one!

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if they'll pull a Blizzard and make past content irrelevant when it comes to XP gains. Have they said if POTD will still be viable for xp? I haven't ran much of it but I'd like to once I come back
    As far as I understand, it yields no experience after 60, so it will be valuable for levelling your RDM/SAM TO 60, but then you will have to do quests/dungeons etc...for the last 10 levels. At least for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Do we know of a red mage rotation flow chart yet? From the way people are talking it seems like we do some how.
    You can practice here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Which is exactly why i expect a steep drop off while RDM starts low but remains static. Mostly i expect BLM mains to just go Red.
    I wonder why though? After looking at the skill lists, the potency on the RDM abilities are definitely lower than the BLM. I mean people play a BLM to blow shit up. Red Mage seems more like a Hybrid, unless I am reading their abilities incorrectly. They have melee, ranged, heal, rez... that's a nice repertoire

- - - Updated - - -

As far as I understand, it yields no experience after 60, so it will be valuable for levelling your RDM/SAM TO 60, but then you will have to do quests/dungeons etc...for the last 10 levels. At least for now.
    That's good. At least make the new content more relevant. Granted, how people chose to lvl their characters is on them whether it be dungeons, questing, etc, etc.

I'm a construction worker

I wish I could find the math that was crunched that suggested that the potency values are misleading due to resource cost preventing it from getting out of control. I imagine that they may be a few points ahead of others, but if it's any more than that, expect nerfs.

Look at the parity right now - if you look at A10S (a fight without a ton of add involvement, mechanics like Time Gate where you typically send specific people into and tanks their personal numbers, or unreasonably short duration to inflate numbers), parses even into the 95th and above percentiles are within ~6% from the lowest performing job to the highest.

I wish I could find the math that was crunched that suggested that the potency values are misleading due to resource cost preventing it from getting out of control. I imagine that they may be a few points ahead of others, but if it's any more than that, expect nerfs.

Look at the parity right now - if you look at A10S (a fight without a ton of add involvement, mechanics like Time Gate where you typically send specific people into and tanks their personal numbers, or unreasonably short duration to inflate numbers), parses even into the 95th and above percentiles are within ~6% from the lowest performing job to the highest.
    That's one of the big complements I have to give Square Enix, is their ability to balance the classes. If you look at WoW and Blizzard INABILITY to balance classes, it's quite surprising seeing as how they have over 500 people working on WoW itself.

Deleted
    That's one of the big complements I have to give Square Enix, is their ability to balance the classes. If you look at WoW and Blizzard INABILITY to balance classes, it's quite surprising seeing as how they have over 500 people working on WoW itself.

There are 3 times as many "classes" in WoW. Each spec is basically a FF14 job. And there is quite literally not a single useless spec in WoW either.

https://twitter.com/ItsDervy

This is one of FF14 best theorycrafter. Read tweets between now and June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    There are 3 times as many "classes" in WoW. Each spec is basically a FF14 job. And there is quite literally not a single useless spec in WoW either.
    Oh I completely understand that but with as many people working on the game as they have, you think they could have some resemblance of balance but that's not the case in the slightest. Such huge disparities in the classes and where they perform on the charts.

Not even going to venture into the rabbit hole that is WoW class balance...

Given all the information we have at this point, I'll be sticking to my original plan: BLM to 70 first, then gatherers/crafters, followed by a tank job...likelyhood it will be DRK, because 2 of my FC folks main WAR, while another's second class of choice (behind DRG) is PLD. With Darkside no longer draining MP, I think DRK will play in a much smoother manner now that we have an exact intake of MP along with knowing how much we're expending.

Oh I completely understand that but with as many people working on the game as they have, you think they could have some resemblance of balance but that's not the case in the slightest. Such huge disparities in the classes and where they perform on the charts.
    FF14 currently has roughly 264 in house employees on the development team as of 3.56. They have over 600 people credited with working on FF14.

WoW currently has roughly 235 in house developers. I am not aware of the total # of people credit with working on WoW.

Also please note that while FF14 has 15 classes, WoW has over double that. WoW also has significantly more knobs and systems that make your character a bit more interesting that how much determination/crit can you stack.

Please refrain from letting your bias drive your posts. Try to focus on objective discussion and analysis.

per Yoshi:
    RPG Site: About how large now is the team working on FF14 and how has it - if at all - affected Square Enix development internally? Actually, I’m really interested in the way the team works so perhaps if you could describe a bit about day to day workings and various staff roles? Going back to the idea of 2.0 having an ‘epic Final Fantasy-style’ story, I’m really interested in who will be handling the scenario and dialogue writing—things like that.

Yoshida: Currently, the in-house team consists of almost 300 members. We also have outsourced a fair amount of work to third-party companies, so all-in-all, the team is fairly large.

Some of the core members include:

Naoki Yoshida – producer/director – (Dragon Quest series)
    Yoshihisa Hashimoto – technical director – (CTO, Luminous engine)
    Hiroshi Takai – assistant director – (Last Remnant, FFV, Romancing Saga series)
    Akihiko Matsui – battle director – (Final Fantasy Series, FFXI)
    Hiroshi Minagawa – UI director – (FFXII, Tactics Ogre)
    Takeo Suzuki – art director – (FFXII)
    Akihiko Yoshida – lead artist (FFXII, Tactics Ogre)

And many, many more Square Enix veterans

Haha, "balanced". That's a good one.

https://twitter.com/ItsDervy

This is one of FF14 best theorycrafter. Read tweets between now and June 3rd.
    I hadn't seen Dervy's number crunching yet, but I am very inclined to believe him, especially considering all his previous work. It's interesting how far apart the classes are suggested to be at SB launch. Well incoming fixes I guess.

I hadn't seen Dervy's number crunching yet, but I am very inclined to believe him, especially considering all his previous work. It's interesting how far apart the classes are suggested to be at SB launch. Well incoming fixes I guess.
    But like he's saying, TrickAttack will make NIN as valuable as SAM and BattleLitany(+piercing based on comp) will make DRG as valuable as SAM.
    It also means that SAM will be effective to carry bads (if you know how to play it ofc).

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    FF14 currently has roughly 264 in house employees on the development team as of 3.56. They have over 600 people credited with working on FF14.

WoW currently has roughly 235 in house developers. I am not aware of the total # of people credit with working on WoW.

Also please note that while FF14 has 15 classes, WoW has over double that. WoW also has significantly more knobs and systems that make your character a bit more interesting that how much determination/crit can you stack.

Please refrain from letting your bias drive your posts. Try to focus on objective discussion and analysis.

per Yoshi:
    WoW has over 500 active people working on the project, not 235. But, I don't want to get into an argument over that. This has nothing to do with being bias, not sure what made you even say that... I am a fan of both games. So, in other words, Blizzards a victim of their own creation. What I don't understand is why do they feel the need to completely revamp classes which seems almost every other patch. Almost as if they're clueless with the direction on some classes. On top of that, the under represented classes, such as the Monk still have not had their light of day when it comes to being a top tier dps class. They've been good but anytime they start climbing, the Monk gets nerfed almost as if they never want the class to be a top contender. And this is coming from an avid Monk class player who's invested hundreds and hundreds of hours into the class.

You're right when you say WoW has more bells and whistles contributing to classes numbers. Class balance has been an ongoing issue with Blizzard since Vanilla, and I think more so when they started going the route of catering to a broader audience. Back in the earlier versions of WoW, classes had defining abilities, roles, etc, now EVERYONE can do EVERYTHING. So, I personally think they did it to them self.