• Guilty. Show some lenience in sentencing

23 20.91%
  • Innocent. She did nothing wrong

20 18.18%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnrage View Post
    Here comes Nixx with his Holier than thou attitude. "None of you are worth having a conversation with! ...except here I am having that conversation anyway."

Yeah normal sane people encourage others to suicide all the time but it's ok if it's not malicious though. Maybe she really thought death was a great thing for him since he would finally be at peace huh? Good thing she was appointed Grim Reaper to make sure she can see who deserves to live and die, while she herself is living still.

The guy is at fault for his death, not her; however, she's very damn well guilty as well. You don't convince someone with mental issues to do things like that, they are easily impressionable - especially if it's coming from someone who he cares about a lot most likely.
    Ive actually had conversations with my parents over suicide if they ever get Alzheimers. At that point you understand, because the alternative is terminal suffering, but from my own experience and other "survivors", you / your family generally dont encourage it because it is such a serious, sad thing. To actively encourage such a thing, especially when the teenager is otherwise healthy and thus doesnt face terminal suffering, is just vile and speaks to ill intent.

Certainly, at mo point in my conversations, or dealing with a terminal grandpa, was I like "yeah grandpa, you should go kill kill yourself. Do it! You'll be happier that way!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    If you say so.

Malice is a question of intent, not action.
    So she told him to kill himself but didn't mean for him to get hurt?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    *remembers his stomach pumped from the bottle of hydrocodine he took in high school.

I understand the mental state of a suicidal person all to well, my friend. I know the smallest thing can make you do it, or not do it. And that wasn't my only self destructive thing. I still to this day cut myself. I stuck an inch long hobby knife into my stomach up to the hilt the other day, just to see if I could do it all the way in. I'm well aware how fucked up a mental state someone can be in. But, I'm coherent enough to realize I AM THE ONE DOING IT. No one else is holding a knife to my skin and pulling it across. It's me. My decision to ultimately do it. Yes, this girl was in the wrong BIG TIME for what she did, but he's the one who ultimately ended his life.
    That's pretty fucked up. I'm sorry for my assumptions.
    Yes of course, the actions are yours. But in this case, the boys actions were aggrevated by someone else. She did not kill him, but she may well have pushed him over the edge to where he took his life. BUt that's for the court to decide.

Who's to say that what you've done to yourself isn't the result of outside influences upon your own mental state? If someone makes me cry it's their fault I'm crying, even though I -could- NOT cry. Know what I mean?

Here comes Nixx with his Holier Than Thou attitude. "None of you are worth having a conversation with! ...except here I am having that conversation anyway."

Yeah normal sane people encourage others to suicide all the time but it's ok if it's not malicious though (sarcasm by the way, since I feel on these forums things like that don't get through easily when it's obvious). Maybe she really thought death was a great thing for him since he would finally be at peace huh? Good thing she was appointed Grim Reaper to make sure she can see who deserves to live and die, while she herself is living still.

The guy is at fault for his death, not her; however, she's very damn well guilty for playing a part in it. You don't convince someone with mental issues to do things like that, they are easily impressionable - especially if it's coming from someone who he cares about a lot most likely.
    I feel like that is the argument that will be used in court and I think it would have had some possible merit (considering the source is a teenage girl with emotional problems) if it was not for the fact that she was overtly pressuring him into suicide "I thought you were going to do it today, are you chickening out?" "this is a good time to do it" "are you going to do it?" etc. To me, that is indicative of malice or self-serving behavior (using his death to draw pity/attention to herself).

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I feel like that is the argument that will be used in court and I think it would have had some possible merit (considering the source is a teenage girl with emotional problems) if it was not for the fact that she was overtly pressuring him into suicide "I thought you were going to do it today, are you chickening out?" "this is a good time to do it" "are you going to do it?" etc. To me, that is indicative of malice or self-serving behavior (using his death to draw pity/attention to herself).
    Honestly, considering the things she said. I wouldn't even be surprised if she egged him on just because she was through with him and wanted an easy way out that would be stress-free for her (in her sick mind). I would love to chalk this up to her being...a teenage girl (whatever that even means) but I have seen younger kids with more regards for life so I don't buy that at all.

Either that or she herself has some issues to work with. Anyway, like I said, she can't be faulted with the death in my opinion, but she definitely played a role, however minor or major you consider it to be, in his death.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    So when does personal responsibility enter into this thread? People on these forums argue night and day about people taking responsibility for their own actions, yet you're crucifying this girl for suggesting it. He ultimately is the one who went through with the act. She didn't kill him. He killed himself.
    Sure, but he was mentally unstable and she was aware of this. Judging by the text messages she also convinced him to go through with it when he wanted to back out. She essentially tied the rope for him and helped him up onto the chair before bullying him into jumping off.

Honestly, considering the things she said. I wouldn't even be surprised if she egged him on just because she was through with him and wanted an easy way out that would be stress-free for her (in her sick mind). I would love to chalk this up to her being...a teenage girl (whatever that even means) but I have seen kids with more regards for life so I don't buy that at all.

Either that or she herself has some issues to work with. Anyway, like I said, she can't be faulted with the death in my opinion, but she definitely played a role, however minor or major you consider it to be, in his death.
    Yeah I suspect she has a history of conduct problems/antisocial behavior. Three percent of the population falls into this category.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    you dont encourage people to comit suicide unless you're being malicious. Rational, empathetic people dont do that.

In other news articles ive read, she apparantly wanted the attention of being a grieving girlfriend so...bleh
    She, too, was struggling with mental health issues and was taking medication at the time. Obviously it wasn't working well, but there is an argument to be made they those medications and the mental health itself could have affected her decision making.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Here's some photos of her social media for those who want to defend this individual

Pretty stark contrast to the tone of her messages to him. End suicide by getting all mentally ill people to off themselves maybe?

“I helped ease him into it and told him it was okay . . . I could’ve easily stopped him or called the police but I didn’t,” she texted her friend.
    She sounds edgy as fuck

Ooooh I remember I took this ethics class in college that talked about this case.

It was a random elective I took so I could have remembered incorrectly. But I remember learning that suicide is a superseding cause as the person committing suicide is intentionally doing it knowing what will happen. In the eyes of the law, since he took his own life, it absolves the girl of any sort of liability.

However, this is a manslaughter case so there's more at play. I would think they would have to prove malicious intent. The only thing I know about law is stuff I picked up from Law & Order, so pretty much nothing. Either way I would say the girl needs professional help as she definitely has issues.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    I read your post.... then read your sig.... then facepalmed
    Okay. Thanks. Did you just go, "Oh there's a different topic talking about suicide in the signature" and then this topic is also about suicide and pretend they are the same?

That's a bold strategy cotton.

10+ Year Old Account
    Based on state law it seems unlikely she is charged, but it is still good to go through everything because there are and will be similar cases in other states with different laws and the conclusions reached here might affect them.

Burn, witch, burn. She looks like The Leader.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you say so.

Malice is a question of intent, not action.

"Egging people continuously to commit suicide isn't malicious at alll"

So edgey. What the fuck is wrong with you?

Girl is a complete scumbag. She more than deserves whatever she's charged with.

Such questions are critical in a state such as Massachusetts, where assisting someone to commit suicide is not considered a crime.
    So if she assisted a suicide it would not be a crime, but giving... emotional support to a suicide... would be considered manslaughter?

Seems nonsensical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I'd be more inclined to care if there was anything to suggest that she had acted maliciously. She'll probably get crucified though because people fucking hate suicide.
    She told him "just do it" over 30 times. Sounds pretty malicious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    "Egging people continuously to commit suicide isn't malicious at alll"

So edgey. What the fuck is wrong with you?
    “You’re finally going to be happy in heaven. No more pain,” she told him in one message. “It’s okay to be scared and it’s normal. I mean, you’re about to die.”
    So if you believe her then she was acting out of compassion. I'd say intent is a question there. If I were to accept that this should be illegal at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    She told him "just do it" over 30 times. Sounds pretty malicious to me.
    Why did she want him to do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I'm pretty sure I've read this same thread a couple years ago. Unless I'm experiencing some sort of deja vu.