Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Surprised it took so long for u to claim your bullshit opinion in.

- - - Updated - - -

And I said YOU you know as in YOU don't have a right to tell others how to spend SNAP or any other government assisted income.

That is also a key part your ignoring.

And a key part of your ignoring is thinking it can be spend anything they want .. SNAP deff can not.

- - - Updated - - -

Its there own money when its in there hand. You have no control over it and never will.

- - - Updated - - -

They are just allowing u to use EBT to buy food from them and making the membership cost cheaper.
    Which is fine .. If you read not once did I say poor people DON'T deserve entertainment or a cheaper sub .. just using a EBT card to purchase it is wrong and illegal. NOT once did I argue they didn't deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Annamarine View Post
    Which is fine .. If you read not once did I say poor people DON'T deserve entertainment or a cheaper sub .. just using a EBT card to purchase it is wrong and illegal. NOT once did I argue they didn't deserve it.
    I don't disagree, I think we both just missed a couple posts of each others.

As long as EBT allows it then whatever. I was originally talking about entertainment to another poster and that clearly means I wasn't talking about EBT.

Some posts in this thread if they had it there way you could only get beans and rice or no EBT at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Why are you so against free speech?
    Not against free speech, I just wish schools would teach people like you what it means.

Also I would love to see u try to tell someone what they can and can't do. Also the EBT cards can have more then just EBT/SNAP on them.

This thread bores me now have fun.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Also you betcha its my business if I see SNAP being illegally used, ether by someone trading SNAP for cash (which is fraud) or a store doing a similar thing where they will ring up a product as food for something else like cigarettes. Both happen and both are fraud and if I see it you betcha I would speak up and then report it to the fraud department.

- - - Updated - - -

If you didnt include SNAP in your comment I wouldn't have disagreed ... a lot of government assistance is usable how ever but SNAP isn't. I lived in a neighbor hood where I saw a TON of fraud on snap ... under reporting income (earned cash) trading for cash (Ill buy you groceries if you give me 80% as cash) or even small stores that rang up Bananas and gave cigs ... I dislike people who go out and commit fraud on a program clearly intended to put good in people mouths.

I don't disagree, I think we both just missed a couple posts of each others.

As long as EBT allows it then whatever. I was originally talking about entertainment to another poster and that clearly means I wasn't talking about EBT.

Some posts in this thread if they had it there way you could only get beans and rice or no EBT at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Not against free speech, I just wish schools would teach people like you what it means.

Also I would love to see u try to tell someone what they can and can't do. Also the EBT cards can have more then just EBT/SNAP on them.

This thread bores me now have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Amazon is trying to compete with Walmart. Walmart has a site http://walmart.com if you want to see what Walmart has to offer.

While it's nice Amazon has cut their membership fee from $10 to $5 for welfare people, Walmart's fee is $0. And to get free 2 shipping from Walmart all you have to do is buy $35 of stuff or more.

Competition is great.
    Well, that's great. Just because you work at Walmart doesn't mean you have to shop at Walmart. Amazon just gave Walmart employees an alternative.

Also you betcha its my business if I see SNAP being illegally used, ether by someone trading SNAP for cash (which is fraud) or a store doing a similar thing where they will ring up a product as food for something else like cigarettes. Both happen and both are fraud and if I see it you betcha I would speak up and then report it to the fraud department.
    SNAP fraud is majorly overblown by conservatives, "fake news" if you will. 1-3% of SNAP recipients use their benefits fraudulently, which is about the rate for any type of fraud anywhere (for any benefit or organization, public or private).

10+ Year Old Account
    People seem to be getting their panties in a wad over nothing. You can't buy Prime with SNAP...please learn to read. Like someone has also said.....SNAP isn't the only thing on an EBT card...there are cash benefits if you are eligible, but again no where does it say you can purchase prime with your EBT card.

I'm not saying use SNAP to get prime (but u can use it to buy food from them in selected places).

Also once that SNAP or any other government funds is in there hands, Its there's and u have ZERO right to tell them how to spend it.

I'm on disability, You have ZERO right to tell me how to spend it.
    I have the right to take exception with how the government allows it's benefits to be used. Depending on the benefit, so if you are on workmans comp and you but a motorcycle, I'm going to want the purchase scrutinized. Now that was a bit of an outlandish example but it helps make my point.

If a person is on assistance with no other form of income, than Assistance shouldn't be used for iPhone and the such.

That being said Amazon offering a discounted rate on prime, which if they do use to purchase food through helps them save money, I'm all for it. And they get the added benefit of Amazon prime vod, which would allow them to drop other entertainment services they may have.

Amazon, through simply giving them a discount, has also offered them multiple other ways to save money, which is good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehshocka View Post
    I have issues with Amazon blatantly admitting that just because I make more money I should pay more for the same service.
    You also have the right to not do business with Amazon just like I chose. Enough people stop using amazon and they will either change or raise prices

- - - Updated - - -

Right, and when the cashier says, "That'll be $100," it shames the person who doesn't have the money and thought their EBT card would get them what they wanted.
    Good!. The shame and stigma of using food stamps needs to return to how it was in the 80s and 90s. It was a great motivator for people to work or change their spending habits so they wouldnt need to get handouts

- - - Updated - - -

Except in Arizona at least this would not be an allowed purchase .. it has serious restrictions on what you can actually spend money on. A Prime membership is not one of them... if Amazon actually allowed this purchase from a EBT card they would be in violation of the program. I am making the assumption Amazon isnt actually taking a payment for a Prime account from a EBT card.
    EBT cards carry both SNAP (food money), and cash assistance which can be used for anything. All Amazon requires to get the discount is that you have some type of ghetto/trailer park credit card (EBT). You can use the cash assistance to pay for your subscription

- - - Updated - - -

Its there own money when its in there hand. You have no control over it and never will.

- - - Updated - - -

They are just allowing u to use EBT to buy food from them and making the membership cost cheaper.
    Maybe if you would study hard, learn some skills, and get your GED you might be able to start using their, there, theyre right and get a job and get off the welfare,

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    SNAP fraud is majorly overblown by conservatives, "fake news" if you will. 1-3% of SNAP recipients use their benefits fraudulently, which is about the rate for any type of fraud anywhere (for any benefit or organization, public or private).
    1-3% are CAUGHT committing fraud. There is a lot more than that. People selling food stamps for 50% cash happens all the time, and there really isnt a way to catch people doing it. Someone gives a SNAP holder 100 dollars and they buy that person 200 dollars worth of food. Also a percentage of recipients much larger than 3% fraudulently collect benefits because the benefits you receive are calculated on household income, not individual income, and a lot of guys move in with their girlfriends, who never report the boyfriends income because it would reduce the benefits. Both are very hard to detect unless people rat them out

People with cellphone plans fully subsidize people with free phones. All you have to do is sign a form and you get free minutes and a phone.

Here's the thing. Amazon prime can be used to get many necessary items. Things like food, toiletries, school supplies, and other items. Often their prices are about the best you can find. Yes, they're also going to benefit and get to have some entertainment(if they have a way to stream it). How is that a problem?
    It is like asking what is wrong with a person making twenty thousand dollars a year getting his food from a food bank. It is abusing given as a charity to them.

The middle ground here could be to restrict their account to food and other necessities but tax payer money should not go towards their entertainment.

You can't use EBT money to make purchases. Just to get the discount.

Some of the hate here reminds me of elitist raiders ranting that casuals get access to good gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Oh noes, poor people are getting something nice, quickly let's all complain about how they are lazy and don't deserve anything!
    Hey I'm all for it when its a private business.

Amazon could give it to them for free for all I care.

Is the EBT being used to pay for prime, or just food bought via prime? I dont care that amazon sells to them (or others cheaper) long as the EBT isn't used to buy the service that is not something i can support. I do support Amazon making prime cheaper for low incomes to help them get items like food / necessities delivered cheaply though.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/natio...426737541.html

I know how some of you just love EBT but this makes sense to me. Amazon sells groceries and is in competition with a lot of grocery stores, namely Walmart. Only Prime uses heavily use Amazon for groceries. Amazon can expand its market share (and omg help poor people!) by honoring food stamps. And when those people no longer need food stamps, who are they going to remember, Amazon.

And its not like Amazon doesn't already offer ways to get a discounted Amazon Prime sub, they even let you openly share it. Might as well let poor people in too.
    I'm a little late to the party, but I always fail to see when people say Amazon/Pantry has great prices. Outside of electronics, and other items that are just frankly easier for me to sit at home and buy (luggage items, hangers for suits, things like that) Amazon's prices are nowhere near the same prices as WalMart.

I bought a few items from Pantry before, ONCE, it's just easier (and cheaper) to goto WalMart twice a month and grab it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    They deserve it when they earn their own money
    You mean like all those people who are on SNAP but work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

The discount promotes more people going onto EBT.

Not a fan of this at all.

It also gives the idea to young men and women that working is pointless.

More incentives need to be given to the working class people (which includes the poor by the way). Most EBT recipients do not fall into the working poor category as they are unemployed/retired.
    Last edited by Mafic; 2017-06-08 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    People with cellphone plans fully subsidize people with free phones. All you have to do is sign a form and you get free minutes and a phone.
    While i don't really like the idea of subsidized phones, at least there's an arguement to be made there. Those on government aid still need a way for others to contact them (for work or emergencies).

What those on government aid don't need is 50% off Amazon Prime Video

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post

Not a fan of this at all.

It also gives the idea to young men and women that working is pointless.

More incentives need to be given to the working class people (which includes the poor by the way). Most EBT recipients do not fall into the working poor category as they are unemployed/retired.
    Exactly. Why bother busting your ass to make something of yourself just to have your taxes go towards those who don't do shit but live almost just as good a life as you?

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    There is a problem with monolithic monopolies we can agree on that but no the problem lies with the poor. You must learn skills to better yourself. Should you be lacking society should not tolerate you becoming a parasite for life.
    The far bigger issue is that society tolerates corporations and rich people to become parasites and dodge their fair share of taxes and environmental responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    The middle ground here could be to restrict their account to food and other necessities but tax payer money should not go towards their entertainment.
    It doesn't. Having the card makes them eligible for the discount. They can not use the card to purchase the service.

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr
    I dont care that amazon sells to them (or others cheaper) long as the EBT isn't used to buy the service that is not something i can support.
    It stated this very clearly in the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic
    Saving $50 a year on an online ordering service is the tipping point to people going on to a government assistance program?