Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Well then, any modders that sign up for that will be shunned by the community for the rest of their lives.
    Thankfully it's already starting; the Beyond Skyrim modding team has already made it clear those who try to sell their mods won't be welcome amongst them.

I'm not surprised Bethesda went this rout again but holy fuck am I disappointed. They've become so greedy, trying to cash in any way they can even if it means damaging the modding community.
    To be honest, I expected this with their NEXT title, not Skyrim and Fallout 4 Yet again.

And in either case, unless they force Nexus to shut down (which they technically cant), there will be dedicated authors who wont sucker into this program like last time. Especially considering the enormous backlash that happened with Authenticating who actually created the content and who stole it for steam's workshop. A lot of authors also blacklisted the handful of the ones that did opt into the program and now refuse to work with them out of spite. Which, frankly, is more healthy for the modding community than allowing this system to wedge its way further into the community.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    To be honest, I expected this with their NEXT title, not Skyrim and Fallout 4 Yet again.

And in either case, unless they force Nexus to shut down (which they technically cant), there will be dedicated authors who wont sucker into this program like last time. Especially considering the enormous backlash that happened with Authenticating who actually created the content and who stole it for steam's workshop. A lot of authors also blacklisted the handful of the ones that did opt into the program and now refuse to work with them out of spite. Which, frankly, is more healthy for the modding community than allowing this system to wedge its way further into the community.
    Yeah I'm pretty confident most mod authors will reject this outright. What I'm worried about is that they'll also reject the game at the same time. Despite Bethesda's greed I do enjoy playing their games and more importantly the mods for their games. I don't want talent being divided between paid, free and people who decided to quit the community altogether.

Regardless of what happens this will once again open a gaping wound in the modding community, just like it did before.

- - - Updated - - -

I also somewhat suspect there will be a dedicated pirating service for paid mods in the near future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I'm pretty confident most mod authors will reject this outright. What I'm worried about is that they'll also reject the game at the same time. Despite Bethesda's greed I do enjoy playing their games and more importantly the mods for their games. I don't want talent being divided between paid, free and people who decided to quit the community altogether.

Regardless of what happens this will once again open a gaping wound in the modding community, just like it did before.

- - - Updated - - -

I also somewhat suspect there will be a dedicated pirating service for paid mods in the near future.
    The fact that a Pirating service would even potentially exist is proof enough how mind bogglingly ass fucking backwards this system is. If Bethesda had done a donations program where they get a minor cut of the proceeds i could see this in a better, albeit deceitful, light. But this just screams fuckery on their part as they try to become the next EA: A publishing house hated by practically everyone with common sense and integrity.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Well then, any modders that sign up for that will be shunned by the community for the rest of their lives.
    Thankfully it's already starting; the Beyond Skyrim modding team has already made it clear those who try to sell their mods won't be welcome amongst them.

I'm not surprised Bethesda went this rout again but holy fuck am I disappointed. They've become so greedy, trying to cash in any way they can even if it means damaging the modding community.
    You didn't read a single thing of what was detailed in the Creator Club FAQ and you just flew off the handle like the rest of them.

To use your example, no one except the Beyond Skyrim team themselves can put that content up if they want to sell it. This is not like the usual modding sites where there is no curation. The modders themselves have to be approved, so it's not like every Tom Dick and Harry can join with some else's mod to sell without permission.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    So people are mad that other people who spend a lot of time coding and working on mods would like to be compensated for their time? Those greedy bastards!
    Modding has never been about making money or receiving compensation. Bethesda wants to monetize something we've been doing for free for the simple joy of improving existing games for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    The return of paid in-game advantages.

Oh wait, it didn't returned, it's been there for years, and no one cares. In fact, people love buying advantages for real money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    It's horseshit is what it is. Elder Scrolls VI or Fallout 5 will launch with these paid mods and you'll have to pay 4.99 for an unofficial patch created by someone that did Bethesda's job for them.

Meanwhile right now the unofficial bug fix patches for all the Fallout and TES games are free right now on the Nexus. This will be a shitshow. When steam introduced paid mods many mods were taken off the Nexus and put on steam. Then people started putting up stolen mods on Steam to try to resell them. Asset flipping essentially. While they may claim to moderate this it doesn't mean this system will be perfect.

5 dollars for extra hair colors! 10 dollars for a ui update! 15 dollars for a weapon skin!

Quoting for truth.
    We will have to pay for stuff like unofficial patches and bugfixes - stuff bethesda is too lazy to do properly by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    The return of paid in-game advantages.

Oh wait, it didn't returned, it's been there for years, and no one cares. In fact, people love buying advantages for real money.
    what? 10char

after horse armour being the gateway that lead to season passes and day one on disc content locked behind dlc becoming a 'norm' even the most mainstream is wary of this shit.

Sadly though as the ipad generation grows up i imagine "micro pay freebuys" will be their baseline not a gross act of corporate greed and it will eventually take root if they try it every few years.

So, what's the problem? It seems like people are feeling entitled.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    what? 10char
    WoW gold, BoE epics, Hearthstone cards, MOBA heroes, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    The fact that a Pirating service would even potentially exist is proof enough how mind bogglingly ass fucking backwards this system is. If Bethesda had done a donations program where they get a minor cut of the proceeds i could see this in a better, albeit deceitful, light. But this just screams fuckery on their part as they try to become the next EA: A publishing house hated by practically everyone with common sense and integrity.
    Prepare for the inevitable program that checks your computer and game files for their paid mods at start up.

Bethesda needs to keep their greedy ass noses out of the Modding communities for these games. Modding for their games worked completely fine long before they'd even thought to do stupid shit like this. Now they're just trying to make a damn buck off of the people who help keep their games alive for as long as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Katsutomai View Post
    Bethesda needs to keep their greedy ass noses out of the Modding communities for these games. Modding for their games worked completely fine long before they'd even thought to do stupid shit like this. Now they're just trying to make a damn buck off of the people who help keep their games alive for as long as they are.
    Eh?? I assume those that were hired willingly decided to join their creators club and you still get to have free mods if you don't like the ones Bethesda offer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    You didn't read a single thing of what was detailed in the Creator Club FAQ and you just flew off the handle like the rest of them.

To use your example, no one except the Beyond Skyrim team themselves can put that content up if they want to sell it. This is not like the usual modding sites where there is no curation. The modders themselves have to be approved, so it's not like every Tom Dick and Harry can join with some else's mod to sell without permission.
    I meant they wouldn't accept anyone who had previously sold mods into the team. If their stuff gets sold there would be some real outcry.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Ehum, uhh... Unless Bethesda is going to try and force Nexus to shut down, this is wholly, 100% irrelevant and has no bearing on any modding going on anywhere.
    you say that. But they don't need to shut down nexus. If modders want money for their mods and stop using nexus. Then what ? If no one makes free mods it doesnt matter if we get 100 new nexus sites.

However this looks to be more of a microtransaction system. You buy mini dlc's made by bethesda developers and a few modders from the community. I only fear that they will take all the premium modders and make their work cost money.

Only thing we can do is to simply not buy a single mod. Vote with the wallet

Between their obsession with milking Skyrim as much as possible and their persistence in trying to bring back paid mods despite the negative backlash towards such a move in the past I'm sorely tempted to just give up on Bethesda altogether. It's not about the money for me - I'm happy to throw cash at a game under the right circumstances if it brings me a lot of enjoyment and it's not a blatant cash grab but in this scenario I think the term 'greedy' is very apt.

I'm also worried that we won't see another Elder Scrolls game for quite some time largely because of the existence of The Elder Scrolls Online.

10+ Year Old Account
    This was also something not to bring up at a press conference.... or as DOOM would say, PRESS FUCKING CONFERENCE. It was glossed over so hard in the first reveal too.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Between their obsession with milking Skyrim as much as possible and their persistence in trying to bring back paid mods despite the negative backlash towards such a move in the past I'm sorely tempted to just give up on Bethesda altogether. It's not about the money for me - I'm happy to throw cash at a game under the right circumstances if it brings me a lot of enjoyment and it's not a blatant cash grab but in this scenario I think the term 'greedy' is very apt.

I'm also worried that we won't see another Elder Scrolls game for quite some time largely because of the existence of The Elder Scrolls Online.
    Bethesda made so much bank on Skyrim and Fallout 4, and now with the extra cash from Creation Club microtransactions they're happy to take it easy while they wait for console tech to advance to the point where it's capable of supporting their vision for the next TES game.