Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Trump 'Julius Ceasar' play losing sponsors

A New York City "Julius Ceaser" play starring Donald Trump-like actor has starting losing sponsors. As you all know Julius is murdered by his Senators.

Bank of America has pulled out citing they don't support the play.
    American Express has pulled out citing they don't condone the interpretation.

Time Warner, their parent company is CNN, has not pulled out.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...trump-era.html

Deleted
    And who plays Brutus?

Bernie Sanders?

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    And who plays Brutus?

Bernie Sanders?
    Have you not read Julius Caesar?? WOW.

Et tu, Brute? (pronounced [ɛt ˈtuː ˈbruːtɛ]) is a Latin phrase meaning "and you, Brutus?", "even you, Brutus?" or "you too, Brutus?", purportedly as the last words of the Roman dictator Julius Caesar to his friend Marcus Brutus at the moment of his assassination.

Obviously this is inappropriate to conflate a sitting president in a play about a murdered leader. I have no idea how anyone could think this was in bounds. That said, I was surprized to find out there even were boundaries, when Kathy Griffin apparently crossed them. I was like, "This is the line?"
    Last edited by Tijuana; 2017-06-12 at 10:09 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post

Et tu, Brute? (pronounced [ɛt ˈtuː ˈbruːtɛ]) is a Latin phrase meaning "and you, Brutus?", "even you, Brutus?" or "you too, Brutus?", purportedly as the last words of the Roman dictator Julius Caesar to his friend Marcus Brutus at the moment of his assassination.
    You intellectual. Still that doesnt answer my question who is going to play Brutus.

Does he have "friends"?

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Does he have "friends"?
    If he does, The Bern is not among them, to say the least.

- - - Updated - - -

You intellectual. Still that doesnt answer my question who is going to play Brutus.
    Dude we read that in junior high....

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm...so sponsors bailing on Hannity and O'Reilly is a big leftest conspiracy to quash opposition freedom of speech...but sponsors bailing on a play is good?

I just want to understand where to place my chip on my hypocrisy bingo card. It's really hard these days.

My opinion is that sponsors get to put their money where they want and it has absolutely nothing to do with free speech. That's the risk when you do something edgy, controversial, or illegal -- you run the risk that sponsors decide you aren't worth the potential association. That's pretty much a fundamental tenant of capitalism.

Yeahhhh this bodes well for the end of Mueller's investigation, the Trump-Russia scandal/cover-up, and Trump's political fortunes as a whole. It's all gonna be over soon Trumpkins! Julius Ceasar is losing sponsors! You're a hair away from winning everything! MAGA!

*snicker*

That's why you posted this right? I mean anti-Trump posts "Trump getting sued" "Trump administration figure under investigation", so on and so forth ... and you got "Julius Cease is losing sponsors".

Good golly good gosh, we anti-Trumpkins are in a pickle!

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Hmmm...so sponsors bailing on Hannity and O'Reilly is a big leftest conspiracy to quash opposition freedom of speech...but sponsors bailing on a play is good?
    Yes. It's like when Breitbart was one of the ones spearheading the advertiser boycott campaign against Gawker, and then called an identical campaign run against them "economic terrorism".

It's all a matter of whether or not advertisers are dropping "your guy".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yes. It's like when Breitbart was one of the ones spearheading the advertiser boycott campaign against Gawker, and then called an identical campaign run against them "economic terrorism".

It's all a matter of whether or not advertisers are dropping "your guy".
    C'mon @Edge- -- Everyone knows it isn't funny if you have to explain the joke!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    C'mon @Edge- -- Everyone knows it isn't funny if you have to explain the joke!!
    I AM HERE TO CHEW BUBBLEGUM AND RUIN JOKES, AND I AM ALL OUT OF BUBBLEGUM.

There shall be no fun while I'm around. This is serious business all the time : |

Deleted
    Dude we read that in junior high....
    I had the impression you are a little bit older already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.

Four years ago they did the same play except it was Obama related rather than Trump related. This play is a ritual for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    Four years ago they did the same play except it was Obama related rather than Trump related. This play is a ritual for them.
    Did they get sponsors pulling out due to outrage then, as well? Genuinely curious, since this is the first I've heard of this group and this particular take on the play.

Kathy Griffin: I'm so edgy. No one will top this.

Gregg Henry: Hold my beer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    Kathy Griffin: I'm so edgy. No one will top this.

Gregg Henry: Hold my beer.
    Doesn't get much edgier than a 400 year old play about a 2000 year old assassination.

dammit there is no room in the safe places anymore for liberals.... the right wing crying PC trumpets have taken all the seats.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this is a pretty good analogy of what could happen to Trump, but not in the literal sense. If the Republican part of Congress turns on Trump, I mean seriously not like they've been pretending to do this entire time, he's done for.

And who plays Brutus?

Bernie Sanders?
    I was thinking Stephen Bannon. XD

I don't really see the comparison, Julius Caesar had accomplishments.

He's more of a Nero. Maybe Caligula?

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Doesn't get much edgier than a 400 year old play about a 2000 year old assassination.
    Too soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.