Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Could probably have used that money to actually insure proper conditions, but alas as it usually is, we tend to just do things haphazardly and that tends to eventually come with a price tag just as big.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    Australian Taxpayers incl myself are really PISSED at the decision
    Please don't pretend to care.

$70 million is a pittance. They have plenty more ways to waste taxpayer's money, and they are doing it now. How much will it cost you at the end? 50c?

Anyone who yells out "muh taxpayers money" on this, is basically crying crocodile tears.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dream View Post
    cold weather in australia??????
    A colleague of mine has a daughter living in Australia and she phoned home this week complaining that it was cold there now (as it's winter there now) and it gone down BELOW 17 Celsius. Frozen, I tell you, FROZEN !
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

Quote Originally Posted by allatar View Post
    A colleague of mine has a daughter living in Australia and she phoned home this week complaining that it was cold there now (as it's winter there now) and it gone down BELOW 17 Celsius. Frozen, I tell you, FROZEN !
    Where do they live? Not even the alpine regions get that cold...

Apparently, the OP did not read the first few paragraphs of the link he posted. This does not seem to be an outrageous issue at all. They were illegally detained, and the government wanted it to go away. Now, some lower-rate countries would have simply murdered everyone involved, but Australia did not. They simply want to try and buy their silence, which is a standard tactic.

It snows in Australia, we have ski resorts. It gets really cold in the highlands and the south of the country. Canberra regularly get's <0C.

Deleted
    LOL!! It's summer here and it's average 15c here!! in winter it's freezing!!

Deleted
    Manus Island is part of Papua new Guniea & yes the locals can be a bit rough

But these people, some Economic refugees came on boats to Australia on their own accord.

Meanwhile, we have Homeless Australians on the streets of Melbourne & Sydney who need help in the cold weather
    This seems to push the idea that there is a simple truth : open borders and endless boats or brutal torture in offshore detention. This isn't the case.

Australia is a wealthy, resourceful and influencial country that could have a policy that assists people fleeing persecution so that they dont have to risk the boats in the first place. sovereign nations have a right to impose a measure of control on their borders but people will always seek to flee dangerous or difficult circumstances, the best thing to do is be pragmatic in your approach to dealing with it.

Don't know what your homeless have to do with this. Thats a failure of your domestic policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Heidelstein View Post
    Anyone who yells out "muh taxpayers money" on this, is basically crying crocodile tears.
    Considering Aussiedude's long-running string of previous avatars, I find that really appropriate.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Here's an idea. Don't illegally detain people in substandard conditions and you won't end up in situations like this.
    Give a good alternative that isn't "JUST LET THEM IN LOL" and we'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Heidelstein View Post
    Please don't pretend to care.

$70 million is a pittance. They have plenty more ways to waste taxpayer's money, and they are doing it now. How much will it cost you at the end? 50c?

Well some Australians are know campaigning that we should take $70 million out of our Foreign Aid Budget

Sounds like a good idea, since all the minted refugees are Foreigners..

And BTW Australia takes it Fair Share of Refugees...Out of UN REFUGEE CAMPS
    And those UN Refugees are more than welcome rather than the Que jumpers .
    I must remember not to post stupid stuff when very drunk.

The alpine regions stay above 17°C?
    Opps, my bad... I read that as -17C for some reason.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Give a good alternative that isn't "JUST LET THEM IN LOL" and we'll see what happens.
    Tent camps with proper utilities and maintenance. It isn't exactly like we haven't dealt with refugees throughout modern history, in proper ways.

Oh and also let them go back, if they request it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Tent camps with proper utilities and maintenance. It isn't exactly like we haven't dealt with refugees throughout modern history, in proper ways.

Oh and also let them go back, if they request it.
    Thats whats being provided if not better on Manus Island in Papua New Guniea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manus_Island

Some well minted Manus Island refugees.. coming to the USA shortly

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, if you're going to detain them do so in humane conditions with a path to getting released.
    And who exactly foots the bill?

Deleted
    Thats whats being provided if not better on Manus Island in Papua New Guniea
    If it is so much better, how come it has had controversies so many times over the years? How come the Australian government had to make reports of abuse, illegal?

But hey, good luck with the whole appeal to fear, to get out of upholding human rights.
    Last edited by mmoccd6b5b3be4; 2017-06-15 at 11:57 AM.

From a Sydneysider to a Darwinite: stop talking politics if you have no idea what you're saying.

Our government imprisoned these people in hellish conditions. Finally, there is some compensation for it. I've seen nothing but expressions of thanks here in Sydney, people are relieved their tax dollars aren't be spent funding these hellhole prison islands.

By comparison, this payout is cheaper than keeping them for 6 months. Think about the millions of dollars we've lost in keeping them locked up there, the $70m payout pales in comparison to it.

"The Prime Minister had requested that per head costs be lower as a result of retendering the contracts, but the department did not calculate a per person cost. Finance advised the ANAO that under the consolidated contract, the per person per annum cost of holding a person in the offshore processing centres in Nauru and on Manus Island, was estimated at $573 111, at the time of the Mid-Year Economic and Fiscal Outlook 2015-16.18 Prior to consolidation Finance estimated the cost at $201 000."

From: https://www.anao.gov.au/work/perform...ea-procurement
    (Notice the .gov in the source?)

OK then..Lets let everyone in.. NO ASIO Check..Might as well let members of ISIS into Australia while we are at it.
    Solid strawmanning.
    Last edited by Nalorakk; 2017-06-15 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    From the first article:

Not sure how to say this, but you do understand that refugees are actually people, right? Heck, there was a Supreme Court ruling that the detention was illegal. You do understand that illegal actions have consequences, right?
    "The group alleged the Commonwealth breached its duty of care by holding them in conditions that did not meet Australian standards."

Alleged. They're refugees, not citizens. Countries don't have any obligation to give refugees so much welfare they live like workers. Especially not scum entering illegally.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nalorakk View Post
    From a Sydneysider to a Darwinite: stop talking politics if you have no idea what you're saying.

Our government imprisoned these people in hellish conditions. Finally, there is some compensation for it. I've seen nothing but expressions of thanks here in Sydney, people are relieved their tax dollars aren't be spent funding these hellhole prison islands.

By comparison, this payout is cheaper than keeping them for 6 months. Think about the millions of dollars we've lost in keeping them locked up there, the $70m payout pales in comparison to it.

"The Prime Minister had requested that per head costs be lower as a result of retendering the contracts, but the department did not calculate a per person cost. Finance advised the ANAO that under the consolidated contract, the per person per annum cost of holding a person in the offshore processing centres in Nauru and on Manus Island, was estimated at $573 111, at the time of the Mid-Year Economic and Fiscal Outlook 2015-16.18 Prior to consolidation Finance estimated the cost at $201 000."

Solid strawmanning.
    Hellish conditions. Yeah poor fucking people, better conditions than the countries they came from by far. Yet crying about bullshit like bad internet and boring food.
    Last edited by Fojos; 2017-06-15 at 12:03 PM.

My GF lives in ohio which gets pretty darn cold and I spend 3-4 months of the year there and handle the winter just fine.

Here in Australia its currently 12 celcius here and I am cold! I have my heater blowing on me and my electric blanket heating my bed. Some parts of Australia go below 0 and has regular snow during winter.
    That being said our summer highs lately have been mid 40's and in some god forsaken parts 50+... now thats hot!

Quote Originally Posted by Nalorakk View Post

Solid strawmanning.
    This is why I admire President Trump .. He takes no shit.. He soughts what is best for his country, rather than the sense of a stupid bureaucrat
    Drain the Swamp.

And GOD BLESS President Trump on his Birthday