Thread: GTX 1080 ti

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by izmirko View Post
    why not to choose radeon?
    *equivalent GPU not found*

Quote Originally Posted by izmirko View Post
    why not to choose radeon?
    What card from them can perform as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    What card from them can perform as well?
    None.

I have the asus strix 1080ti and heat simply isn't an issue. My room gets hot as well, ambient temps can hit the mid 30C and while I haven't actually bothered to record exact temps I do have the lighting set to represent heat. I've never seen it go beyond green with a yellow tint. Which is around 60-65C. It's a very impressive cooler.

Ive literally never bought a reference GPU in my life

aftermarket all the way

I was planning on getting one of these cards but I read that it runs rather hot? Anyone that has one and can say what kind of experience you have with the temp on it?
    I have a 1070 and it's a beast I couldn't imagine needing anything more.

Ok, so it reaches about 78-80c when playing playerunknown battleground, is that high? It's 100% gpu utilization.

Ok, so it reaches about 78-80c when playing playerunknown battleground, is that high? It's 100% gpu utilization.
    nVidia's Spec Sheet for the FE cards lists the max temp as 91C, so that's when it will start throttling I think. The thermal shutdown point is at 105C I think. Generally, I am happy if my GPU stays at or below 80, though a 1080ti is a bit different than what i am used to, I think the general rule of 80-85 being max you hit under normal load is fine.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    nVidia's Spec Sheet for the FE cards lists the max temp as 91C, so that's when it will start throttling I think. The thermal shutdown point is at 105C I think. Generally, I am happy if my GPU stays at or below 80, though a 1080ti is a bit different than what i am used to, I think the general rule of 80-85 being max you hit under normal load is fine.
    Very normal temperature range and totally fine for sure!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I may be crazy, but I actually think I prefer Nvidia reference cards over the aftermarket designs. My reference/FE 1080 Ti is noticably quieter than my EVGA 980 Ti AC FTW ever was, and despite the noise, the 980 Ti would still hit temperatures in the 80 C range - pretty much in line with what the reference cooler hits at the stock fan curve.

If I overclocked aggressively, I might feel differently, but I don't think there's a tremendous reason why you NEED to have your video card run below 80-85 C. It's got a 3 year warranty, and is engineered to run for something like 10 years at those default fan curve temperatures. The longevity really should be a non issue, and I have more faith that the base reference design is less likely to have significant flaws than specific aftermarket designs, just based on how much more widespread it is.

I also kind of like the design of pumping the video card heat directly out the back of the case vs blowing it around the case like the 2-3 fan aftermarket designs do. That should result in less hot air being blown over the rest of your components, a lower overall case temperature, and potentially less need for case cooling/less case fan related noise. I also think that aesthetically, the Nvidia reference card is the best and most classy looking card design on the market. In comparison, I think the Asus/MSI/Gigabyte 2 and 3 fan coolers look cheap and plasticy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiberria View Post
    I may be crazy, but I actually think I prefer Nvidia reference cards over the aftermarket designs. My reference/FE 1080 Ti is noticably quieter than my EVGA 980 Ti AC FTW ever was, and despite the noise, the 980 Ti would still hit temperatures in the 80 C range - pretty much in line with what the reference cooler hits at the stock fan curve.

If I overclocked aggressively, I might feel differently, but I don't think there's a tremendous reason why you NEED to have your video card run below 80-85 C. It's got a 3 year warranty, and is engineered to run for something like 10 years at those default fan curve temperatures. The longevity really should be a non issue, and I have more faith that the base reference design is less likely to have significant flaws than specific aftermarket designs, just based on how much more widespread it is.

I also kind of like the design of pumping the video card heat directly out the back of the case vs blowing it around the case like the 2-3 fan aftermarket designs do. That should result in less hot air being blown over the rest of your components, a lower overall case temperature, and potentially less need for case cooling/less case fan related noise. I also think that aesthetically, the Nvidia reference card is the best and most classy looking card design on the market. In comparison, I think the Asus/MSI/Gigabyte 2 and 3 fan coolers look cheap and plasticy.
    Er... noticeably quieter because you must not be properly cooling it. I had the FE and it was painfully loud.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Er... noticeably quieter because you must not be properly cooling it. I had the FE and it was painfully loud.
    I always just leave cards on their stock fan curves. After all, if I'm not overclocking, I don't see any real purpose for a more aggressive fan curve and dealing with the inherent added noise when the warranty is surely built around the stock settings. My FE seems to peak at 85-86 C, but the fan speed doesn't go higher than 59% even at those temperatures, and it's virtually inaudible at that fan speed. With the EVGA 980 Ti, you could noticeably hear a drop in PC noise when you shut down a game and the fans started revving down.

I also wouldn't call it "not properly cooling it"; it's at stock settings, and the temperatures are within spec. They wouldn't have designed the stock fan curve to target the card sitting in the 82-86C range if they had any concerns about the longevity of the card, since they are the ones that have to deal with the expense of RMAs. I think people in general are more OCD about temperatures than they need to be. If a card is engineered to last at 100% load for 10 years, why even worry about it? It's going to be obsolete long before it "wears out" Even with the 3 year warranty, I don't remember the last time I've used the same video card for over 3 years; I always want an upgrade within 18 to 24 months.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 1080 Ti loves getting hot, it's a huge chip.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboi View Post
    I have a 1070 and it's a beast I couldn't imagine needing anything more.
    That means you need a bigger screen.

I have the Zotac Gtx 1080ti Amp extreme edition with Overclock temp don't go above 66 C on air .