Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    http://www.dictionary.com/browse/opinion
    Since you clearly don't understand the concept.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole
    Since you clearly don't understand the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    For exactly the same reason Black Panther, Blade, and Bishop shouldn't be played by white guys, even if they're superior actors to anyone who answers the casting call. Ditto for Amadeus Cho or Zorro shouldn't.
    Black Panther, as king of an isolationist African nation, is one of a few characters whose race I'd consider important to their context (others include Steve Rogers, Ultimate Nick Fury and most characters based on British or European nobility.) With characters like Falcon, Cage and Cho I'd say the race was important to some of their fans (especially characters who were created during the civil rights movement) but not vital to the story. With Bishop and Blade I don't think their race matters much at all (and in the comics Blade is half-British unlike Wesley Snipes, so there has already been a change there.)

I can't really comment on Zorro as he's already been portrayed as a Spaniard and a Mexican and been played by a British actor.

Out of interest, are you avoiding all the MCU movies due to their decision to make Nick Fury African-American?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    both of those would make me rage hard.

for a while, i had heard that they were making black panther a woman in the movie, and i was livid. he's a king of an extremely wealthy african nation, he's a man. that's all there is to it.
    T'Challa's sister Shuri currently has the title of Black Panther and the connection to the Panther god.

BTW were you livid about Ant-Man being Scott Lang in his movie, or are you okay with replacements as long as they tick the "right" demographic boxes?
    Last edited by Dhrizzle; 2017-06-18 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    T'Challa's sister Shuri currently has the title of Black Panther and the connection to the Panther god.

BTW were you livid about Ant-Man being Scott Lang in his movie, or are you okay with replacements as long as they tick the "right" demographic boxes?
    it's not about being a different race. it's about being EXACTLY like the source material.

if he sneezes in a scene of the movie and that sneeze wasn't in the original, i don't like it.

"Women of Colour"?
    I can't believe they don't realise how racist that sounds, as if they're not worth listing correctly.

They aren't even considering transwomen actors, it's 2017 people. We can't let racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic companies like these shitlords make movies that could so easily offend others.
    Last edited by Banshee Prince; 2017-06-18 at 05:09 PM.

it's not about being a different race. it's about being EXACTLY like the source material.

if he sneezes in a scene of the movie and that sneeze wasn't in the original, i don't like it.
    So I guess you hate every super-hero movie ever to be adapted from a comic then?

They can't even manage to make a good He-man movie. Scared to see what they do to She-Ra.
    "When you've got to get down, but can't find the elevator, you have to do it any way you can. Even if it's with a shovel."- Dark Tower II: Drawing of the Three, Stephen King
    Juju's kgpanels: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/jujus-kgpanels Juju's blog: http://mouthygoblin.weebly.com/jujus-blog.html#/

for me, it's not the race, it's the same hate i had for the warcraft movie, for most movie adaptations.

not following the source material to a tee. warcraft? slap any other name on it, and it'd work, it doesn't follow the lore, so what is even the point? same shit here. if you change the race of she-ra, might as well not even make the movie about she-ra, but some other random hero chick.
    Most adaptations don't follow the source material exactly.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Warrior View Post
    "Women of Colour"?
    I can't believe they don't realise how racist that sounds, as if they're not worth listing correctly.

They aren't even considering transwomen, it's 2017 people. We can't let racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic companies like these shitlords make movies that could so easily offend others.
    Did you miss the latest issues of Cultural Marxist Today? "Men/women/people of colour" seems to be the currently PC term for non-white people, it seems "minorities" has fallen out of favour.

BTW which trans-women have been turned down by the studio? I assume you have some names of actresses you consider suitable for the role.

both of those would make me rage hard.

for a while, i had heard that they were making black panther a woman in the movie, and i was livid. he's a king of an extremely wealthy african nation, he's a man. that's all there is to it.
    Orly?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

So I guess you hate every super-hero movie ever to be adapted from a comic then?
    yes. all the marvel and dc movies are stupid. except the original spiderman movies, those were ok.

with spiderman and batman, i compare those to the animated series from the 90's. the best versions of those characters.

miles morales is cool though, it's new dude taking up the mantel. he's a good character too. i'd like a movie about miles.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Most adaptations don't follow the source material exactly.
    that's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Orly?
    [IMG]https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_medium/0/9241/704665-black_panther_01.jpg[IMG]
    the only black panther i knew of was the one i remembered from the animated iron man series. so that's who i was comparing it too.

if they wanted to make a movie of her, that's cool too. i didn't know she existed.

i'm not a huge comic fan, most i know of these characters is from animated series.

yes. all the marvel and dc movies are stupid. except the original spiderman movies, those were ok.
    If you mean the Toby Mcguire ones I'm sorry to say they took major liberties with the source material (bio-webs, no Gwen Stacey,) by your own standards you're not supposed to like them.

with spiderman and batman, i compare those to the animated series from the 90's. the best versions of those characters.
    Not according to to your standards, due to changes from the original comics you don't actually like those.

miles morales is cool though, it's new dude taking up the mantel. he's a good character too. i'd like a movie about miles.
    Miles originated in the Ultimate universe which had major deviations from the source, however we now have Miles inserted into the "main" Marvel universe in ways that make him deviate from his original Ultimate version... so do the two divisions cancel each other out to make him okay, or are you supposed to add them and have him twice as much as other changes characters?

the only black panther i knew of was the one i remembered from the animated iron man series. so that's who i was comparing it too.

if they wanted to make a movie of her, that's cool too. i didn't know she existed.

i'm not a huge comic fan, most i know of these characters is from animated series.
    I don't think I can roll my eyes hard enough... no way can you claim things should be true to the original when you're not even in to the original versions.
    Last edited by Dhrizzle; 2017-06-18 at 05:26 PM.

Did you miss the latest issues of Cultural Marxist Today? "Men/women/people of colour" seems to be the currently PC term for non-white people, it seems "minorities" has fallen out of favour.

BTW which trans-women have been turned down by the studio? I assume you have some names of actresses you consider suitable for the role.
    You're clearly behind the times if you think that a blanket statement such as "people of colour" is okay.
    It's like painting all those ethnic groups with the same brush. It just shouldn't be done.

They neglected to mention Transwomen in the OP quote. That alone is disgusting enough to warrant negative attention.
    As for Transwomen who could portray She-ra how about Caitlyn Jenner? I heard she's done some acting.

There are also plenty of other amazing trans actresses out there that have never been given a shot due to transphobia. She-ra could be their debut if the company making it wasn't so transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    Not in the slightest, being white (heritage) has nothing to do with the character of johnny storm
    Considering he didnt have to deal with racism and shit Id say it does.

How are they the best versions of those characters when they weren't adapted 100%?

You're clearly behind the times if you think that a blanket statement such as "people of colour" is okay.
    It's like painting all those ethnic groups with the same brush. It just shouldn't be done.
    I don't have time to go through all the ins-ands-outs of why some terms are and aren't accepted, but currently "people-of-colour" seems preferable to "non-white" when talking about representation in the media or other social-justice issues, and it will take more than a random outraged forum person to change that.

They neglected to mention Transwomen in the OP quote. That alone is disgusting enough to warrant negative attention.
    Why?

As for Transwomen who could portray She-ra how about Caitlyn Jenner? I heard she's done some acting.
    Has Caitlyn Jenner showed any interest in playing a ~19-year-old action hero?

There are also plenty of other amazing trans actresses out there that have never been given a shot due to transphobia. She-ra could be their debut if the company making it wasn't so transphobic.
    If there's plenty why don't you name one trans-actress who has shown an interest in playing She-Ra?

I don't have time to go through all the ins-ands-outs of why some terms are and aren't accepted, but currently "people-of-colour" seems preferable to "non-white" when talking about representation in the media or other social-justice issues, and it will take more than a random outraged forum person to change that.

Why?

Has Caitlyn Jenner showed any interest in playing a ~19-year-old action hero?

If there's plenty why don't you name one trans-actress who has shown an interest in playing She-Ra?
    It's wrong, we shouldn't be referring to African Americans, Middle Easterners and Korean people (For example) as "non-white" or "people of colour". It dehumanises them and paints them as a somehow lesser people.

And I don't know any who have shown interest, but that's because they're not encouraged to. Society looks down on them and that puts many off of a life in the public eye. This company should make it more known that they're welcome and wanted for the role of She-ra.

It's wrong, we shouldn't be referring to African Americans, Middle Easterners and Korean people (For example) as "non-white" or "people of colour". It dehumanises them and paints them as a somehow lesser people.
    No it doesn't, unless you're already in the mind-set that white people are superior. It simply acknowledges that white people are a majority of the population of the US and have strong representation in pop-culture and the media.

And I don't know any who have shown interest, but that's because they're not encouraged to. Society looks down on them and that puts many off of a life in the public eye. This company should make it more known that they're welcome and wanted for the role of She-ra.
    Okay then, which trans actresses do you think would be suitable for the role but haven't put their names forwards?

If you whitewash a character that is considered the greatest sin, but if you make a white character black instead that is perfectly fine ...
    Stick to the source material damn it. If it's white it's white, if it's blue it's blue, and if it's black it's black. Don't change things just to fill some imaginary diversity quota.

I don't think I can roll my eyes hard enough... no way can you claim things should be true to the original when you're not even in to the original versions.
    i am into the versions that i like. they're as valid as any. definitely better than any movies they've made.

i guess light deviations are ok. but you shouldn't do major changes, like making doctor doom a fucking hacker loser, or changing someone's race/gender for the sake of it.

Can we get a Thundercats movie?? or silverhawks? who the hell cares about She-ra