Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Was Gearscore a helpful addon for it's time?

Just wanting to get some opinions on this matter. Do you think Gearscore was a useful addon for when it was used in Wrath mostly?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Just wanting to get some opinions on this matter. Do you think Gearscore was a useful addon for when it was used in Wrath mostly?
    It did the exact same Item Level does now, except that it caused far more lag, excessive amounts of screen freezings actually.

No.
    /10char

7+ Year Old Account
    It was so useful that I never downloaded it. Certainly heard a lot about it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    It did the exact same Item Level does now, except that it caused far more lag, excessive amounts of screen freezings actually.
    Wait really? I used that extensively through Wrath and it worked fine.

I do agree Item Level kind of removes the need for an addon so less chance of clutter/issues.

ilvl was hidden back then, wasn't it? So for the measurement of raw equipment level it was very useful.

Ask Preach Gaming what he thinks of it

Quote Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
    Ask Preach Gaming what he thinks of it
    I'm guessing they are a streamer? Not big on Youtubers/Streamers. Only couple I really watch are AVGN and Pat the NES Punk. Oh and Crendor from time to time.

Deleted
    It greatly helped the X ILVL REQUIRED FOR RAIDING (X being the ilvl of the drops) mentality.
    And now Ilvl is super important when it comes to gear, as opposed to stats/procs being important. I think it watered down itemization a lot.

So I think it was kinda helpful because you couldn't see ilvl at the time, but certainly not a good addition to the game.

No, it was the scummiest add on around and deserved to be buried. And this is coming from someone who had LK 10 HC on farm and a fair few LK 25 man hc kills, not someone salty because they couldn't get into a group

Deleted
    for better or worse gearscore was the start of ilvl culture, but with the streamlining of the game over the years a measure like ilvl would have been inevitable anyways.

people used to say "come to the bank for inspect" which i think had more charm / flavor / authenticity to it, that fitted a mmo more since it required a social interaction of sorts.

Much like every other addon out there, it helped those that had a reason for knowing people's ilvls. Very helpful for those running pug raids, for example.

It wasn't very helpful for those that wanted to get carried... but, let's be honest, no one wanted those people in their raids to begin with.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    Gearscore was a great addon because it was essentially a pre-curser to ilvl what we have now.

It was easier to look at someone's gearscore and invite to pug groups based off that instead of just "believing" that someone had skill as a raider.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    No, it was the scummiest add on around and deserved to be buried. And this is coming from someone who had LK 10 HC on farm and a fair few LK 25 man hc kills, not someone salty because they couldn't get into a group
    Why was it a bad addon? Its exactly like what we have in ilvl display now.

I don't invite anyone to my groups unless they have at bare minimum 900 ilvl. And thats for any content, even older raids like EN and NH.

the best part is it showed enchants and trinkets, now with ilvl you just put on your highest set before you apply. not once did i see a 910 person that wasnt even close to that and had no enchants.

Deleted
    https://youtu.be/bgnMpOU1LNQ?t=2m41s

It made everything go quicker, didn't need to go to the bank, get in line and then get inspected. Pretty much the same shit as Item level today if my memory isn't shit which it is.

Instead of having to be like "Come Stormwind bank for inspect" you were just like "5800gearscore+". So it saved time, nothing else.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Nope. Just like item level today.

An 880 geared toon can range in dps anywhere from 150k to over 600k depending on skill / spec (more skill than spec). A 900 geared toon can range in dps anywhere from 250k to over 950k depending on skill / spec.

So a good 880 player that doesn't play a ton and doesn't buy his gear but can do 600k doesn't get the chance to run many mythic+ because they going assumption is that if they take the 900 player who bought his gear, at least they'll get that 250k to 300k.

Basically, many people don't want an actual challenge in the game. They want quick and easy handouts of gear while going through the motions.

Deleted
    No it wasnt it just started the cancerus "X ILVL REQUIRED FOR RAIDING"-mentality
    (pro tip: neither gearscore nor ilevel tells you how well a player plays his toon)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I don't invite anyone to my groups unless they have at bare minimum 900 ilvl. And thats for any content, even older raids like EN and NH.
    Why would anyone with 900+ want to bother with EN? That raid is shit and only drops shitty looking gear, so transmog isn't a valid reason either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Nope. Just like item level today.

An 880 geared toon can range in dps anywhere from 150k to over 600k depending on skill / spec (more skill than spec). A 900 geared toon can range in dps anywhere from 250k to over 950k depending on skill / spec.

So a good 880 player that doesn't play a ton and doesn't buy his gear but can do 600k doesn't get the chance to run many mythic+ because they going assumption is that if they take the 900 player who bought his gear, at least they'll get that 250k to 300k.

Basically, many people don't want an actual challenge in the game. They want quick and easy handouts of gear while going through the motions.
    I love how people who are against ilvl always use that idiotic argument of, "oh the 900 ilvl guy just bought his gear, or was carried to it" Nope, no one earns their gear these days! Its all carried by a huge mac truck carrying all these ppl to 900+ ilvl gear! Thats it folks!