Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I'll warn this thread exactly once: this is not the subforum to discuss conspiracy theories and Hollywood agendas unless and until it changes the very nature of an artistic work. Since this work is nowhere near inception, let alone realization, all the rampant discussion about pandering in this thread is unwarranted. Acceptable criticisms come for already released or late-in-production works. You can question the value of gender-bending Ghostbusters if you think the movie suffered for it from a critical standpoint, but discussions of gender-bending ipso facto being unacceptable won't fly in this subforum, as an example. The threads in this subforum are about a particular work, and all critiques should be limited to the scope of the work itself.

What's the matter, they couldn't get the rights to "Giant Bowel-Blasting Diarrhea: The Movie"? He-Man and She-Ra aren't adaptable content.

I assume this is because of the success of Wonder Woman.

Ironically I think it'd be harder to make a screen adaptation of He-Man in this day and age.

And I said hey-eyay-eyay-eh-eh...

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    I hope it's not live action or it'll be over before it started. Live actions are always bad but giving He-Man a black twin.......They need to learn from Fantastic Four.
    I don't think casting Michael B. Jordan caused that movie to have an abominable script and be executive meddled to death.

I also don't think the colour of She-Ra's skin is at all relevant to her character. She's Eternian, she's not even frigging human.

The premise contributed.
    I didn't like it but it wasn't even in the top 100 worst things about that movie.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Who cares about She-ra ? They should give skeletor his own movie Nyaaah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Also skeletor is by far the best. Noone even remembers the guy from she-ra.
    I guess nobody cares about poor old Hordak.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    don't make a goddamned movie of something unless you intend to stick to the source material.
    Have you... seen He-Man and She-Ra?

There is no way in hell they're sticking to the source material lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    ...so make it an hour and a half-long toy commercial?

Don't go pretending She-Ra was some pinnacle of animation. Just like any of those 80s cash-grab animated shows.
    It did have some nice roto-scoping though.

And very colourful. That was the real Filmation appeal. That and kickass theme songs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I'm confident that won't happen with 2 caucasian parents who don't sleep with others.
    and I'm confident that 2 parents of movie characters 1. don't need to be both caucasian. 2. may look caucasian but actualy be mixed, so recessive genes are still present and fraternal twins being born looking a different race can still happen.

aka, your racism is showing, dear. i mean... comic books change origins of character, hell they change character powers and character personalities, never you mind changing their costumes. all. the damn. time. they have been doing that since comic books started.

the casting is literally asking for all. this casting call is the definition of "let the best actress win, as they are specifically NOT limiting it by race"

The open casting call is already pretty damning, because it means they shopped it around to all the usual suspects and they couldn't even get Milla Johovich, so it doesn't matter if they cleave to the canon (and making them fraternal twins is a substantial departure by itself, ethnicity notwithstanding) it's going to be crap. Notice how there's no call for the role of He-Man despite MotU being announced weeks ago, which means they're probably in negotiations. I suppose they're going to cast Dwayne Johnson in the role, which is why they don't care who plays She-Ra because they can make it work regardless. Personally I would have gone with John Cena, but whatevs.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Looks like another potential failure based on the IP virtually unknown outside of US.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Looks like another potential failure based on the IP virtually unknown outside of US.
    i'd say it's almost unknown today in the US as well.

But that is not a factor necessarily for how a movie will perform, not many knew about guardians of the galaxy until 1st movie came out

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    You do realize the setting for Netflix's Death Note is 100% different then the Manga/Anime right? Its set in the US so how would it make sense to have Japanese characters.

Funny enough its people like you that cause Hollywood to repeat the same bullshit year after year. Having a closed mind hurts the movie industry (and gaming industry as well).

Want to see the source material then go watch/read it.
    Did Trump deport the Japanese too?

I don't need source material, just She-Ra being herself. There's more to Dora than a tan for instance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I also don't think the colour of She-Ra's skin is at all relevant to her character. She's Eternian, she's not even frigging human.
    She's half human. With skin color comes culture and history.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    aka, your racism is showing, dear. i mean...
    Believe what you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are the creators high on PCP? There is no way a Masters of the Universe franchise blows up in 2017+. . . . . . . Dolph Lundgren proved it back in 87.

This will be a flop.....

10+ Year Old Account
    The best chance at a She-Ra revival was back in 2002 when the last He-Man cartoon was on TV. They missed a great chance but never took it so now they should just leave the IP alone and work on getting a good cast for a M.A.S.K. or Centurions film AND FOLLOW THE FUCKING CARTOONS as either would make huge money.

Quote Originally Posted by Kivana View Post
    The best chance at a She-Ra revival was back in 2002 when the last He-Man cartoon was on TV. They missed a great chance but never took it so now they should just leave the IP alone and work on getting a good cast for a M.A.S.K. or Centurions film AND FOLLOW THE FUCKING CARTOONS as either would make huge money.
    They had a chance during Xena Warrior Princess too.

Did Trump deport the Japanese too?

I don't need source material, just She-Ra being herself. There's more to Dora than a tan for instance.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Believe what you want.
    the only reason she is blond and blue eyed in cartoons (as is he-man) becasue that was the only acceptable hero coloring at the time. this has NOTHING to do with who she is as a character.

the only reason she is blond and blue eyed in cartoons (as is he-man) becasue that was the only acceptable hero coloring at the time. this has NOTHING to do with who she is as a character.
    Madame Raz wasn't.

Madame Raz wasn't.

she is a side character and a comic relief. also, she is purple. which is not a human color at all. somehow... I doubt that people would have as many issues if her skin was made, i don't know... blue. or maroon.

she is a side character and a comic relief. also, she is purple. which is not a human color at all. somehow... I doubt that people would have as many issues if her skin was made, i don't know... blue. or maroon.
    So is Orko and Cringer, and some people believed that about other skin tones in the past.

Teela isn't blonde. Bravestar, superman, batman, wonder woman, the twins, Orion Quest, Pidge, ultraman, Starvenger pilots, Tigersharks' Octavia, steelheart.
    Last edited by dextersmith; 2017-06-20 at 01:54 AM.

So is Orko and Cringer, and some people believed that about other skin tones in the past.

Teela isn't blonde. Bravestar, superman, batman, wonder woman, the twins, Orion Quest, Pidge, ultraman, Starvenger pilots, Tigersharks' Octavia, steelheart.
    oh yeah, a few were allowed to be redheads here and there. male characters have a bit more leeway, but with female characters - wonder woman is the exception that proves the rule. and even she is usually drawn blue eyed.. because.. apparently color of the eyes and skin matter more then what kind of person a character is? there is absolutely NOTHING in She-ra's story, or her mother's story that requires She-ra to be white and blond, or her mother to be white and red haired. her mother's back story can just as well fit a person who is any color or race, you know given that people who work for Nasa can be any color or race. just because we kept defaulting to white back then for characters where race genuinely plays no role (unlike say STORM or Black Panther who are explicitly of african origins), doesn't mean we have to keep doing so, or that not doing so somehow means that integrity of the character is ruined. was Wonder Woman ruined by having brown eyes instead of blue in a movie? was Aphrodite ruined by being black? the answer is no, btw.

How much I care about casting an actor/actress who does a good performance as character X:

<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

How much I care about casting an actor/actress who happens to look like character X:

<----------->

I'm confident that won't happen with 2 caucasian parents who don't sleep with others.
    It can happen, but rarely.

How much do you know about Eternian genetics anyway?

Also, if they did cast an <insert ethnicity here> She-Ra what makes you think they wouldn't just cast an <insert ethnicity here> He-Man if they ever made a He-Man movie in the same universe?

- - - Updated - - -

In this case, Eternian culture and history.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2017-06-20 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It can happen, but rarely.
    Not to caucasian parents according to this principle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

How much do you know about Eternian genetics anyway?
    I know it gave her fair skin.

Not to caucasian parents according to this principle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule
    That's... not what that means.

And yes it does happen. Rarely. Difference between phenotype and genotype.

7+ Year Old Account
    She's the "twin"-sister so how can she be black in the movie? Or is she genetically manipulated?