Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It looks like he died today.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/19/politi...ies/index.html

Otto Warmbier, the American college student who spent 17 months in detention in North Korea, died Monday afternoon in Cincinnati, Ohio, his family said in a statement.

"It is our sad duty to report that our son, Otto Warmbier, has completed his journey home. Surrounded by his loving family, Otto died today at 2:20 p.m.," the statement said.
    The 22-year-old returned to the United States last week. Warmbier did not talk, move in any purposeful way or respond to verbal communication. In a news conference last Thursday, doctors called his condition "unresponsive wakefulness," and revealed he had suffered significant brain damage during his imprisonment.
    The North Korean government said botulism is to blame for Warmbier's condition, but US doctors said they found no evidence of the illness.
    The family expressed anger at his treatment in North Korea.
    "We would like to thank the wonderful professionals at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center who did everything they could for Otto. Unfortunately, the awful torturous mistreatment our son received at the hands of the North Koreans ensured that no other outcome was possible beyond the sad one we experienced today."
    Developing story - more to come
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Otto has passed away RIP

I must remember not to post stupid stuff when very drunk.

If this doesnt act as a deterrent to stop these dumasses from going to shitholes like North Korea then nothing will!

Also its sad that he died and he paid a terrible price for something incredibly stupid.

Cant help but feel the parents should get alot of the blame cause if my parents heard i was going to North Korea as a 22 year old they wouldve burnt my passport!

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Why someone would go to a hostile nation and break their laws is beyond me. The US would have no problems with locking up tourists coming over breaking our laws.
    Yea, the U.S. wouldn't do that. They give illegals that come here and break our laws social security numbers, driver's licenses, access to healthcare and welfare, and everything else you can imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    If they get those things then they're not illegals. What are you smoking?
    You should really try and read up on what's actually going on in Arizona that we tried so many crazy things to stop illegals.

10+ Year Old Account
    first of all: why attack him because of his intentions? he wanted to go to north korea, so let him. nobody expects a death out of that situation in our civilized 2017.

as you can see in the video, that could have been anybody and it just so happens that they presented warmbier as the offender. they forced a confession out of him and shortly after that he fell into a coma. it was politics of a dictator. sure, north korea isn't exactly safe. but it still has a people, a culture. going there shouldn't result in death.
    From Ancient Terra the Emperor commands His Proud Sons.
    From revered Blood-stock these Warriors are made His Proud Sons.
    No fear they shall know as Adeptus Astartes, His Proud Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by sylenna View Post
    first of all: why attack him because of his intentions? he wanted to go to north korea, so let him. nobody expects a death out of that situation in our civilized 2017.
    Nobody expects a death out of going to North Korea? Did i read that right?

Quote Originally Posted by sylenna View Post

as you can see in the video, that could have been anybody and it just so happens that they presented warmbier as the offender. they forced a confession out of him and shortly after that he fell into a coma. it was politics of a dictator. sure, north korea isn't exactly safe. but it still has a people, a culture. going there shouldn't result in death.
    It is against common sense to travel there at this point, also a handful of other countries. One should not assume safe passage in countries where human rights are nonexistent.

I bet this didn't happen. Where's that guy who says all news about NK is American propaganda? This probably didn't happen. Faked death

10+ Year Old Account
    and yet again i state: in our civilized age and year of 2017, no one should expect death by humans or governments while travelling. sure, natural causes like earthquakes or food you didn't knew was poisonous don't count.

but if i visit a country as an american, which most of the world has their eyes upon because they always rattle their sabers, one should think that not even kim would risk the murder of my person. right? unnecessary complications would be the very least thing to expect. to atone for a removed banner would be one thing, a generous pardon by the great great leader would work magic for political relations. but to mistreat warmbier and after all cause his death for something they think was done? with no real evidence for the rest who weren't there? that shouldn't even happen in north korea.

and north korea isn't exactly a war zone like syria. in syria i would fully expect to be abducted and later killed just for being white and helping build wells or rebuild cities. so why should i expect death? dennis rodman doesn't expect death either, will he return comatose as well?
    From Ancient Terra the Emperor commands His Proud Sons.
    From revered Blood-stock these Warriors are made His Proud Sons.
    No fear they shall know as Adeptus Astartes, His Proud Sons.

The Dennis Rodman thing is gonna be interesting now. You have to assume that North Korea was directly responsible for Otto's death. I wonder if they are gonna let him come back.

Hopefully an autopsy will give us some insight into what happened to him.
    Last edited by ohiostate124; 2017-06-19 at 10:14 PM.

Curious to see what the US response to this is. If we do nothing it just shows that NK can arrest/kill our citizens without any penalty.

We need to kill the leadership of NK. Even if whatever they say about weapons is true, it's just a matter of time until the subhumans use them.

It's insane how we let a government of a shit country treat its entire population like the nazis treated jews, without any consequences.
    Last edited by Fojos; 2017-06-19 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    Curious to see what the US response to this is. If we do nothing it just shows that NK can arrest/kill our citizens without any penalty.
    What can they do?

He went to a country that the state department has greatly warned not to go to then he broke the law. Yeah his punishment was extreme but thats the law in that country. If he was kidnapped then they couldve sent SEAL team six to rescue him but he went to a hostile country on his own free will and broke the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    I don't actually get what you expect, if you go abroad and break a law there you are under their jurisdiction. Try smuggling drugs out of China or half of asia, or have a woman run topless through Riad, and you will be dead no matter what.

The obvious answer is: Don't go into a country that your country leads a cold war with, as you always are endangered that they make an example out out of you for trivial misconducts or simply for no real reason at all, and in no way expect any fair treatment. But you would actually consider this to be common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jfhsgtresg View Post
    What can they do?

He went to a country that the state department has greatly warned not to go to then he broke the law. Yeah his punishment was extreme but thats the law in that country. If he was kidnapped then they couldve sent SEAL team six to rescue him but he went to a hostile country on his own free will and broke the law.
    Are you kidding? NK is breaking international laws every day, why does it matter anymore?

I would feel sorry for the guy if he wasn't a complete and utter moron. No matter what you think about all that hippy shit, vacation/tourism in NK is like walking into the shanty town of an african warlord, yes you might surive that, you might also end up impaled on a pole with someone pissing in your skull. One can only hope that this will deter other idiots out there to repeat that mistake, NK can't be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Are you kidding? NK is breaking international laws every day, why does it matter anymore?
    Well yeah and thats why its a pariah state under heavy sanctions Thats there punishment for doing that.

Should it go further well thats for another discussion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jfhsgtresg View Post
    Nobody expects a death out of going to North Korea? Did i read that right?
    Well, if you're not American, it wasn't really dangerous before, at least under Kim Jong Il. As a European you could visit without real danger. You just don't want to get arrested. But you really don't want that in some African or American countries, too. There are certain things you just don't do, for example get caught with drugs in Singapore, an otherwise very nice city.

Regarding NK, you'd be amazed how much quiet diplomacy took place over the years. Siegfried Hecker, a US nuclear scientist, who worked for Los Alamos visited NK and Yongbyon - their power plant - many times, and even got to see and hold their first weapon grade plutonium. You can watch a nice Google talk from him about that on Youtube.

Don't get me wrong, what happened is wrong on so many levels. I can only assume he did something stupid and/or the new fat leader seems a bit more crazy than his father. Until some time ago NKs politics made some sense, but what currently happens defies any logic...

Still, don't blame the victim, there are people who try to understand different countries. And everytime I read this forum it seems to me, some people here should leave their country a bit more.
    Last edited by mmoc1848483d5d; 2017-06-19 at 10:27 PM.