Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Forum drama Ornyx vs. Jeff Kaplan! Who wins?

A while ago we had a thread about Community Manager Ornyx calling a player out on the WoW forums for "trolling"

I assume you're trying to make a joke about content, because, looking at your Armory, it appears you've only engaged with about 25% of Legion.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...he-smack-down!

A lot of forum members cheered for Ornyx (not me though).

Something similar happened on the Overwatch forums, involving game director Jeff Kaplan. Now watch how he resolves the situation:
    https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/top...e-kaplanverse/

We play the game a lot. Looking at your profile, I've won approximately 800 more games than you have. That's not counting the daily internal playtests I am in, the time I spent in Alpha and Beta.

Did you have a specific question or are you just here trolling?

- Jeff Kaplan
    After a bit of drama:

So first, I’m sorry for calling you out publicly on our forums. It was unprofessional and lacked good judgement on my part. To explain (and not excuse) what I did, I was simply feeling worn down at the moment. My team and my company care so much about feedback. So much so that one of the company values – which is bronzed around our Orc Statue in the center of campus – is “Every Voice Matters”. We’re constantly taking critical feedback – as we should be. On a personal level, I get frustrated and annoyed when people take “shots” at us without actually stating what their issue is. How are we supposed to act on feedback if the feedback is nothing but an insult? We get tons of feedback each day that we both agree and disagree with, and we love hearing it. But it’s super demoralizing to us to simply get insulted. To imply that we don’t play our game or that we don’t love our game is just straight up false.

I’m really sorry I replied the way I did and I hope it hasn’t brought any unwarranted attention from other players to you. If anyone is harassing you, please let me know.

Anyway, SharkyMarky, I’m really sorry. I shouldn’t have used a dedicated and loyal player like you to make a point. You didn’t deserve that.

I hope you forgive me and realize that my actions are a reflection of my own personal flaws and don’t speak directly for the awesome folks I work with here at Blizzard.

All the best to you,

Jeffrey

p.s. I’m not sure if you’re a World of Warcraft player, but please enjoy a year Subscription on me: (not putting it here lol)

If you don’t play WoW, have fun making a WoW player’s day!

- Jeff Kaplan
    Like a baws! At least there are still some people at Blizzard who know how it's done. Can we haz a Jeff Kaplan clone for the WoW team, pls?

Retarded bullshit of butthurt man-childs online that in both cases where treated as they should have.

If you work in any environment where you have to talk to clients often you would understand.

This whole mentality of "YOU REPRESENT OUR COMPANY, TREAT THE RETARD WITH RESPECT!!!111ONELEVEN" is really really annoying.

Main reason why developers never talk to players, because players are entitled man childs that think their opinion is relevant, as Ornyx and Kaplan pointed out.

"Go away scrub, your opinion is irrelevant cause you are shit at the game".

I wish things would actually change but nope, only gonna get worst as time buys, POLITICAL CORRECTNESS PERIOD.

No one wins, we all lose cause they are gonna post even less on the forums to avoid butthurting man-childs.

Jeff is the best. Honestly. The way he's been handling Overwatch from day 1, the amount of love and passion he has for it - I find it very inspiring. More devs should be like him , and I know there's a ton more great content yet to come to Overwatch with him in charge.

Thx to Isilrien for the awesome sig

Deleted
    Lol... At least Ornyx had the balls to stick to his opinion. I fully concur with the first statement of Jeff and think a lot of players just complain for the sake of complaining. Why not call their bluff?

And: 1 (!) apology would have more than sufficed... That he felt the need to do it 3 times plus giving away a YEAR's subscription for WoW is just stupid...

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed in Jeff. However, it's possible we don't know the full story. Maybe he was under incredible pressure from within the company.

I mean, we all remember that case where a man who landed a fucking man-made vehicle on an asteroid had to apologize in tears before some stupid slut who didn't like what he was wearing. It's 2017, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    The unfortunate fact of the matter is that many, many people in wow are very passionate in their obsession with acting like a complete retard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't think Jeff had to go that far for this poster. His response could've
    been better, but I think Ornyx has by far the best response.

A LOT of players immediately bitch and complain about "not having shit to do" in
    this game, when there's actually a fuck ton of shit to do. Mind you, not everyone
    will find that content to their liking, and that's fine. There's a little bit of everything
    for everyone in this game.

But either they're giving it a try (which most aren't) and not liking it, or they're just
    being pissy for not trying it to begin with.

So when those players cry out, especially if all they do is one thing in this game,
    (could be anything from just pvp/raiding/collecting/etc.), it does "serve them right"
    when someone calls them out on it and reminds them that there is more to this
    game than just the one thing they do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    A free year of WoW subscription as a reward? Why would he try and torture someone like that.

Here's hoping for their sake it doesn't have an expiration date so they can use it on a better expansion a few years down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by LaplaceNoMa View Post
    Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed in Jeff. However, it's possible we don't know the full story. Maybe he was under incredible pressure from within the company.

I mean, we all remember that case where a man who landed a fucking man-made vehicle on an asteroid had to apologize in tears before some stupid slut who didn't like what he was wearing. It's 2017, after all.
    Exactly . Jeff cares too much for the game in order to jeopardise his job over some butthurt noob on the Internet , I'm sure his seniors were up his ass over this "PR nightmare ". Especially since he's the main face for Overwatch. Much easier to apologise , and stop this nonsense before it gets out of hand.

Thx to Isilrien for the awesome sig

What we don't see here is that sharkymarky was the one that apologized to Mr Jeff which that email is a reply towards.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/c...oster_are_all/

people are quick to jump to conclusions which is not unheard of.

Maybe they should have awarded the player in question with a year's worth supply of fresh diapers. Trolls and whiners suck.

They don't need to apologize for anything. They should do it more often, WoW community is filled with stupid and entitled players and sometimes they need someone to put them in their place. I will never have any problem with responses of that kind.

EPIC DEV BATTLES OF HISTORY!!

Ornyx vs JEFF KAPLAAAAAAAAN - BEGIN!!!
    <battle commences>

WHO WON, WHOSE NEXT?? YOU DECIDEghlgheruhrghl!!!!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    A free year of WoW subscription as a reward? Why would he try and torture someone like that.

Here's hoping for their sake it doesn't have an expiration date so they can use it on a better expansion a few years down the line.
    it was applied directly to his account by blizzard so it began the moment it was applied.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lol I like Jeffs first statement. The apologetic ones are so annoying. What a beta cuck.

Well at least Mr Kaplan realized he made a mistake and corrected it.
    Ornyx is simply unprofessional and should not work as community manager. Simple as that.

Some people are quick to rally around devs who let their professionalism slip and sass someone, but keep in mind that this only seems laudable because it's the exception rather than the rule. If this was how developers behaved toward their customers all the time it would result in a terrible community rife with drama, and the reputation of the company would take a nosedive.

It's kind of fun to see professionals act like humans from time to time, but there's a very good reason they don't do this often.

That is a bad way of spelling legacy servers.

10+ Year Old Account

If they seriously gave a free year's sub for something like that and it wasn't just a joke...they risk opening up a whole can of worms...gonna have people trying to get under his skin for free subs.

I don't blame either for reacting like human beings. We all are prone to our emotions and we all make mistakes. Sometimes you just have to vent the shit those devs have to take every day (justified or not).

However, from a professional PoV, insulting your paying customers - even when they act like dumb retards - is an absolute no-go. Better to ignore them. I'm pretty sure Blizz would've fired them right out if Jeff and Ornyx weren't in high positions.

Jeff Kaplan does it right.
    Last edited by chooi; 2017-06-20 at 11:58 AM.
    #MakeBlizzardGreatAgain

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Well at least Mr Kaplan realized he made a mistake and corrected it.
    Ornyx is simply unprofessional and should not work as community manager. Simple as that.
    Ornyx is a moron simple as that.

He is like a SJW baby.