Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I was making $70,000/yr as soon as I graduated from university, and was making raises before my first year was up. Turns out that if you choose to study for an industry with practical uses, you can do alright pretty easily.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Someone on my course who's about to finish college is getting a job as McDonalds soon. That said the rest of us are moving on to university and he simply didn't get the grades to do so, not that he seemed to care.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Yeah that's why why my plans fell through, I didn't have the extra fluff to get into any top schools so as to even be able to compete in that market, let alone get it paid for. Had near perfect undergrad GPA and 172 LSAT, but I am a miserable antisocial person. No clubs, no volunteering, no faculty recommendations, I had nothing other than my grades/scores.
    That is unfortunate - because those are great numbers for GPA and LSAT. But yeah, the top tier wants a lot more, which sucks.

Did you apply anywhere at all? What was the best one you were accepted at?

Quote Originally Posted by Souls View Post
    What did you want to do for a living? Just curious.
    Fix/build computers.

A+ Certification with networking.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    It's almost as if there's not alot of demand for people with gender studies degrees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knolan View Post
    Don't go college for Therapeutic Feminist Dance, simple as that.
    All the panties that get bunched up over .5% of degrees awarded...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantasmagoriaX View Post
    Fix/build computers.

This is still highly in demand... If you're not getting a job, then you're doing something wrong, or you're in a particularly bad geographic location.

I have my A+ and CCNA, and I've had two different jobs already since getting my Associates (2yr) degree a couple years ago. Salary 40-50k in a low cost of living area.

Be prepared to demonstrate you know what you're talking about though, most interviews will have a practical portion.
    Last edited by Frosteye; 2017-06-22 at 09:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    That is unfortunate - because those are great numbers for GPA and LSAT. But yeah, the top tier wants a lot more, which sucks.

Did you apply anywhere at all? What was the best one you were accepted at?
    Nope, starting my junior year when I couldn't convince any of the faculty I knew the best (which was slightly above not at all) to bullshit me up a recommendation, I just didn't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosteye View Post
    This is still highly in demand... If you're not getting a job, then you're doing something wrong, or you're in a particularly bad geographic location.

I have my A+ and CCNA, and I've had two different jobs already since getting my Associates (2yr) degree a couple years ago. Salary 40-50k in a low cost of living area.

Be prepared to demonstrate you know what you're talking about though, most interviews will have a practical portion.
    I was in the Bay Area lol. I was fully prepared for all my interviews too.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Do you know anyone who works for min wage or close to it after competing a college or university degree?

Hasn't this been mentioned in the news a lot? How do they pay off their student loans while barely making ends meet on a minimum wage salary? Work 2 jobs?
    My daughter just graduated with a degree in Public Relations with a minor in Comp Sci/Graphics Design. Starting salary $50k doing social media. Jobs are there if you have the right degrees and move to a major city.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Nothing like some people assuming others working min wage jobs after college got a degree in some liberal gender studies class.

I actually got my degree in accounting, a profession most people agree there's a huge demand for, and couldn't find work. I could write a book abou everything wrong with the field and how it's in desperate need of a change but I'm on my phone ATM.

Do you know anyone who works for min wage or close to it after competing a college or university degree?

Hasn't this been mentioned in the news a lot? How do they pay off their student loans while barely making ends meet on a minimum wage salary? Work 2 jobs?
    If you got a worthless degree, didn't network, and didn't work at all between the time you were 16 and the time you graduate, yes there is a good chance you will work a minimum wage job.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    My daughter just graduated with a degree in Public Relations with a minor in Comp Sci/Graphics Design. Starting salary $50k doing social media. Jobs are there if you have the right degrees and move to a major city.
    This exactly.

I live in Phoenix AZ, there are literally hundreds of unfilled jobs at the company I work at that start at 18.00 a hour, can't find decent/enough workers to fill the positions.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    It's almost as if there's not alot of demand for people with gender studies degrees.
    I love people who don't know how the world works and just assume college degree in anything that isn't liberal arts = Job right away.

Ask your server at a restaurant if they have a college degree sometime or any kind of certification. You'll be impressed.

It isn't that uncommon as a lot of jobs want you to have experience and they don't want to be the place you earn it. I know people with STEM degrees that don't have jobs. Sometimes it is because they don't want to move or the market for that job became flooded (see anything related to geology)

10+ Year Old Account

I continued to work at my internship for 3 months after completing my college degree. I lived with roommates and only made $10 an hour and I was just fine. I had plenty of money for what I needed.

Why is it that the left always pull the "cant live off minimum wage" bullshit argument?

As to your OP, you do realize that not every college degree is made equal right? The likelihood of someone graduating with a painting art degree making good money straight out of college as opposed to a mechanical engineer, or an accountant, or finance major is much lower.

If you choose to borrow someone else's money and then unwisely choose what you educate yourself in with that money, you should be responsible for paying it back regardless of how you feel about being able to get a job with it after college.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasukkin View Post
    I was making $70,000/yr as soon as I graduated from university, and was making raises before my first year was up. Turns out that if you choose to study for an industry with practical uses, you can do alright pretty easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Nothing like some people assuming others working min wage jobs after college got a degree in some liberal gender studies class.

I actually got my degree in accounting, a profession most people agree there's a huge demand for, and couldn't find work. I could write a book abou everything wrong with the field and how it's in desperate need of a change but I'm on my phone ATM.
    I know people who graduated with business/finance/accounting degrees and had similar issues--people who had good grades, good extracurriculars, etc. Graduating right after the subprime mortgage crisis didn't help things, though.

The problem is that the market is oversaturated for all college grads. The assumption that the pot of gold is there for everyone, you just need to choose the "right degree" is misleading. You can up your chances, but it's no guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I continued to work at my internship for 3 months after completing my college degree. I lived with roommates and only made $10 an hour and I was just fine. I had plenty of money for what I needed.

Why is it that the left always pull the "cant live off minimum wage" bullshit argument?
    Because you can't in the long term. Minimum wage does not afford one health insurance, housing, reliable transportation, savings over the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Nope, starting my junior year when I couldn't convince any of the faculty I knew the best (which was slightly above not at all) to bullshit me up a recommendation, I just didn't bother.
    You realize going to a top tier law school isn't required and what do you consider top tier? Going to the very top end law schools can be overly expensive and not that big of an advantage. You can get hired anywhere with a degree from a state school, just don't go to something like Thomas Jefferson University or Florida Costal or something and you'll be fine. The upper tier schools are only if you want to be a Law Professor or want to walk into one of the Super firms in Chicago/NYC/LA right out of school.

But, as a Lawyer I don't recommend anyone go to law school without a serious plan or connections there a ton of other degrees in the graduate world that offer better starting salaries, better hours, and a more relaxed atmosphere.

I started my own firm and its been a huge struggle, but each year it does get better and I'm building a client base. Don't expect to get paid right away out of law school unless you go to a firm and be their bitch for 6 to 8 years and don't mind a mid range salary compared to the hours and stress. Also, government employment doesn't give a shit where you went to school, just that you have a bar license.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Because you can't in the long term. Minimum wage does not afford one health insurance, housing, reliable transportation, savings over the long run.
    You are making the assumption that someone with a college degree will NEVER be able to improve their wage and will work at minimum wage the rest of their lives which is a completely baseless assumption.

Even if you start at minimum wage, you can work your way up to be over that and eventually well over that but the left likes to put out propaganda that if you are at minimum wage, you are stuck at minimum wage and therefore we need to increase it.

Someone who is complacent and lazy might not improve their ability to earn more money, but is that the fault of their college degree, even if it is an arts degree?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post

So you are on the lower end of the bell curve for that profession, whats your point? And the accounting profession bell curve is highly skewed toward the lower end meaning, you are more likely to get a job in that profession, quicker, than other college degrees.

So on this bell curve, on the left which is almost non-existant are people without jobs with an accounting degree, and as you go right you will see that on average people are employed quicker, and to the far right are people who are employed who are making great money in the profession:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantasmagoriaX View Post
    Fix/build computers.

That's what I'm working on officially. Getting an IT degree, and got a few online courses to help study for the CCNA and CompTia tests. And unofficially I'm learning web development so I can sort of make a two pronged approach at getting a real job so I don't have to be customer service for some credit card the rest of my life.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    All the panties that get bunched up over .5% of degrees awarded...
    I thought it was obvious, but the message was: go to a field that has employment, instead of a saturated market that you won't get hired. There is a lot of information out there about how good or bad is the field you are entering. Be smart and use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    I wouldn't use your daughter as an example. Every tech company is on a mission to hire women. CS/E in general isn't the guaranteed pot of gold at the end of the rainbow as the internet makes it out to be. We are over-saturated and the people most likely to be jobless are the individuals who aren't aware of our hiring practices.

It's seasonal and by seasonal, I mean February to April and September to November. Recruiting aligns with school systems and university recruitment is the single best way to get in, particularly as an applicant becomes part of a lesser talented candidate pool.

The students who, for whatever reason, do not apply during these timelines are risking a lot of uncertainty as the positions for new grads both dry up and lead to a higher supply of new grads applying for the little positions that show up outside of those times. Otherwise, we look for mid to senior level applicants (commonly disguised as junior level qualifications). Next thing job searchers realize is that it's 5 months after they graduated, student loans are due in a month, and they have a 5 month hole of unemployment/irrelevant employment with programming and algorithm knowledge atrophy.