Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

How much do you get on US welfare?

Can't find answer on google.
    I want to know how much the average unemployed - no disabilities - gets in welfare payments each month paid directly into their bank account.

I want to know how much unemployed disabled poeple get paid each month.

What are food stamps?

It's by state, California's benefits are better than Arkansas I would think.

If you want to strike social services gold, head to Canada.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Just can't find exact amounts on google... it's all that generic info I don't want to know.... I want to know exact numbers for a few states for comparisons

Doesn't it depend on how much you made before you became unemployed?

In all my years of employment I have never been so bad off that I needed to go on Welfare or disability.

So who's banned account is this
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    It's by state, California's benefits are better than Arkansas I would think.

If you want to strike social services gold, head to Canada.
    Or the UK.

A 2013 Cato Institute report on the total level of welfare benefits by state examined how much a “typical welfare family,” of a single mother with two children, would receive for what researchers determined was a typical welfare package. That included Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) cash assistance, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, which is still popularly known by its former name, food stamps), Medicaid, housing assistance, utility assistance and the Women, Infants and Children program (WIC). Researchers also accounted for federal and state tax deductions, exemptions and credits, such as the earned income tax credit and child tax credit.

Researchers then compared the findings to minimum-wage jobs in 35 states, before and after taxes. In 11 states, government aid paid more than the average pre-tax first year wage for a teacher, the study found.

The state with the highest total value of welfare benefits was Hawaii, at $49,175. The lowest was Mississippi, at $16,984. Welfare packages in only 10 states, plus Washington, D.C., exceeded Grothman’s threshold of $35,000. Hawaii may be distorted by the high cost of living, researchers said. The rest of the states were below Grothman’s mark, including his own state.

Just move to the state you want and apply. The amount changes all the time, you didn't mention you have kids so you'd get much less. Also they might not even give you welfare. If you're disabled to the point you can't work, I'm sure they'd give you something.

You'll probably have to get residency in that state, live there a month or two before applying.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Well aside from SNAP benefits (food stamps) the US government doesn't really do direct payments very much. Much of our anti-poverty support is more along the lines of applied for re/pre-bates, i.e. housing vouchers, utility service re/pre-bates, scholarships and grants for education, childcare vouchers in some regions of the country.

A large portion of our anti-poverty efforts also go into the earned income tax credit (child tax credit). More kids under 15 = bigger tax refund though since you have to work to get the credit there are recent questions as to weather a direct payment of some kind, like minimum income, wouldn't be better as an anti-poverty tool for those who cannot work due to life, family or physical circumstances.

That is a separate discussion though.

To answer your question: it varies depending on municipality and state programs as well as their life situation as we don't have a specific program termed "welfare" in the United States. Rather it is a constellation of multi-tiered Federal, State, City and Non-for-profit Private efforts that provide tools to deal with poverty depending on each persons locality and life circumstances, as well as what private non-profit organizations operate within their community.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Let's demonize the poor and destitute so we can give even more money to top corps and wealthy that don't need it. And to more war funding. Always more wars.

Deleted
    lol I don't wanna apply .. I don't even live in the USA... I just wanna know for comparison purposes

Hmm...
    Maybe that's why there is so many baby mama's. More babies equate to more money.

In most states for someone with no dependants that's able to work but doesn't and isn't of retirement age or disabled you can get around $200 in food stamps if you're actively seeking employment, don't turn down any job offers and fullfill any volunteer work requirements. Other than that, nothing. Here in Colorado the volunteer work required is the number of hours needed to cover your food stamps at minimum wage. It's totally not worth it unless you genuinely cannot get real work. Food Stamps don't pay your bills. If you have dependants the rules are more lax but still structured to ween you off at some point.

Unemployment is temporary and is not Welfare. It's an insurance that your previous employers paid into and most definitely gets factored into what they paid you in wages. You also don't get a cent of unemployment if you are completely responsible for your loss of work.
    Last edited by alzoron; 2017-06-25 at 12:46 AM.
    Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    In all my years of employment I have never been so bad off that I needed to go on Welfare or disability.
    I see it quite a bit working in retail pharmacy and dealing with people on state aid. Some people genuinely need it.

Then there are others that are just lazy fucks who refuse to do anything.

"What do you mean I gotta pay? I have Obamacare!"
    "Nah I ain't got $2 for that prescription, fuck that."

It just breeds that mentality to the point where the children will grow up to be the same way because that's how they're taught.
    Chicken fried rice is delicious!

Stood in the Fire
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelff View Post
    I want to know how much the average unemployed - no disabilities - gets in welfare payments each month paid directly into their bank account.

What are food stamps?
    In my home-state of Florida I know that 250$ a week max on unemployment, even if you had been a CEO making 9 figures.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sweatshopkids View Post
    I see it quite a bit working in retail pharmacy and dealing with people on state aid. Some people genuinely need it.

It just breeds that mentality to the point where the children will grow up to be the same way because that's how they're taught.
    Obamacare isn't welfare though... You have to pay for it...

Quote Originally Posted by sweatshopkids View Post

There certainly are people that need it. Examples that you gave for sure.

The problem is our system doesn't work on a tiered system. We practically pay people to not work. If we were give people half of their benefits if they worked they might actually go work. As it is, if a person goes to work they get practically nothing. So, they might as well sit at home and not work or take "under the table" jobs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Obamacare isn't welfare though... You have to pay for it...
    You mean WE have to pay for it. There are some people out there paying very very little for it. While the rest of us are subsidizing them. ACA is great for low income people. Horrible for the middle class.

True but for all those who are lazy there are people like my friend living in North Carolina: She has one daughter from a pervious relationship (now 15). The anesthesiologist who performed her epidural and messed up her back (public hospital). After the lawsuit she only got the concession that the hospital had to pay for any treatment directly related to the damage inflicted but nothing more and no direct money payment.

She now cannot work due to chronic pain and though she has a teaching degree she cannot get her teachers license because NC requires a masters degree to license a person as a teacher. Since she has a daughter she is able to get some income support as well as Social Security death benefits from her child's father, who had work related injury that prevent him from working five years ago, which later lead to his death.

She can't get disability because she doesn't have enough work credits (two appeals before she stopped trying to apply). She does living in section 8 housing and gets about $250 a month in SNAP and is on Medicaid and she dog sits for a friend for some petty cash.

Her and her daughter live on about $600 a month, and re/pre-bates take care of housing and utilities. My wife and I gave her our last car after her 1992 dodge neon was flooded in its third hurricane so she can get around some but beyond that she gets nothing else from social services and doesn't quality for much else beyond food bank support.

There are the lazy, and there are the destitute. The lazy need to get to work, the destitute need help.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelff View Post

What are food stamps?
    There are too many factors. I had a coworker, single mom with 2 kids. Lived alone and received no support. She went to get help and they approved her for $35 a month in food stamps. White. She re sent in the application and marked African american the next time and changed NONE of the info and was approved for $250 a month. When she took the approval letter to the office to confront them about it as she was not planning to spend any of the new amount but more so curious if it was true they told her flat out that black women get put on a higher food stamp scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    You mean WE have to pay for it.
    It is called insurance dude.... everyone pays in hoping they DON'T have to use it.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    It is called insurance dude.... everyone pays in hoping they DON'T have to use it.
    Yet for some reason the poor people have to pay less. Shouldn't everyone have to pay the same for a provided product/service?