Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post

Actually capitalism has nothing to do with it.
    Sure, it's not like capitalism is the ideology pushing for every thing turning a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    I don't know why ypur shocked by the amount of loans some take. They're kids being preyed on by these schools.
    So I don't generally get too involved with this forum anymore but this topic is a personal grief of mine as well as a professional one. I've worked for a public university for several years and cannot agree more with the quoted statement.

I'd also like to address a few other comments but do not want to quote all of them.

To answer the question about whether or not a university carries a stigma or reputation here the answer is yes. However, this can range from the entire university to the specific school. For example, you may be someone who went to a university which has a pretty poor reputation however the school and degree you obtained has a decent reputation individually. This is actually very common at the public/state level. There are some schools which are simply awful but have a few select well regarded programs. My location, as a point of reference, is generally a non-ranked university. This means that across the board they are in the bottom 25%. Despite this, we have one program which offers the 6th ranked degree in the USA as well as another which is ranked 19th in the country. These two are very narrow but to potential employers in those fields, it isn't a detriment to have the university name on your diploma.

Most people afford a higher education via loans or other external programs in the United States. There is a great deal of supplementation but general at the cost of interest rates. Unfortunately, our higher education system makes little to no financial sense. Arguably, anyone obtaining an arts degree in Music shouldn't be paying the same costs as someone obtaining an Engineering degree. I'm not sure why in the hell this still happens. While completely anecdotal, my interactions with students has solidified my belief that they honestly don't have a single fucking clue what they are getting into with most of their degree choices. Many believe that because they are all paying the same cost, their career and financial future is reasonably inline with everyone else. I honestly have no idea where they get this concept. I've rarely encountered one who believed they would make less than $50,000 in their first job.

To address the elephant in the room. College tuition costs as well as materials, such as books and fees, have dramatically increased in the last 30 years. One professor I've chatted with graduated from one of the best Engineering programs in the USA circa 1977. When he graduated he did so with zero student debt working part time the entire 4 years as a bar-back. According to him, he had zero family aid support do to their low income. At this current moment, said school is costing $560 per hour before fees (somewhere around $720 per hour with all fees if I remember correctly.) At the typical 15 credit hour semester to graduate in 4 years, the current rate at said school is hovering at $86,000. That would imply that for zero debt and via no family support an individual would require a nearly $60,000 year job in order to attend a top Engineering program in the USA. Good luck with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbleDuck View Post
    Sure, it's not like capitalism is the ideology pushing for every thing turning a profit.
    I think student loan industry (i.e. Sallie Mae) could stand to have some capitalism injected into it.

I think student loan industry (i.e. Sallie Mae) could stand to have some capitalism injected into it.
    This is a very true statement in a way. The problem, in general, with the student loan system is that the government subsidizes it too heavily. This creates a system in which there is little to no capitalism. The reality is that we have a serious moral hazard issue with the college financial system here. The only ones truly doing well on this are the sham schools like University of Phoenix and UTI.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't there cheap colleges in USA ?

Like, smaller ones without that much prestige ?

I work full time and go to school at night. 0 loans required

Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post

Lol to a degree, but even then they still cost something like 7-10k a year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post

The smart route is to go to community college for two years, far cheaper and usually smaller classes actually taught by professors and not TAs. Then you pick a good public university, preferably one with little to no athletics and not a research university.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Free View Post
    Isn't this affordable for the average american ?

Deleted
    The question we all should be asking is WHY are the colleges so fkin expensive in the US. There are many other universities much "cheaper" (in terms of students $$) and very good ones in for example Europe, like in France, Germany, Poland, Sweden, Norway.

Almost forgot U.K.
    (Do they still consider themselves as a part of Europe? LOL )

edit: typo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Free View Post
    The local CC is $5300 per year including books.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    The smart route is to go to community college for two years, far cheaper and usually smaller classes actually taught by professors and not TAs. Then you pick a good public university, preferably one with little to no athletics and not a research university.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    State schools and community college yes.
    So, there are other options. Thats what i wanted to know, thanks

In the end of the day, what matters is just that piece of paper stating you have a college degree.

Dude, tracking some of the threads you've been starting. You came to the wrong place. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Shedarion View Post
    The question we all should be asking is WHY are the colleges so fkin expensive in the US. There are many other universities much "cheaper" (in terms of students $$) and very good ones in for example Europe, like in France, Germany, Poland, Sweden, Norway.

Almost forgot U.K.

The simple answer is because they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Shedarion View Post

Almost forgot U.K.

information...

Record numbers of students accepted to UK universities and colleges this year, UCAS report shows. A total of 532,300 people entered UK higher education in 2015, an underlying increase of 3.1% (16,100) on last year and the highest number recorded, UCAS' End of Cycle Report reveals today.

As of September 2016, there were 108 universities and university colleges in England out of a total of around 130 in the United Kingdom.

Number of U.S. Colleges and Universities and Degrees Awarded, 2005
    Number .. Enrollment
    Private 4-year institutions 1,845 .. 4,161,815
    Public 2-year institutions 1,070 .. 6,184,229
    Private 2-year institutions 596 .. 303,826

So... Supply and Demand?

Is making 1.4 billion on something that is free in most other developed countries too little for you?

Is making 1.4 billion on something that is free in most other developed countries too little for you?
    Its not free on most developed countries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    so i don't generally get too involved with this forum anymore but this topic is a personal grief of mine as well as a professional one. I've worked for a public university for several years and cannot agree more with the quoted statement.

I'd also like to address a few other comments but do not want to quote all of them.

To answer the question about whether or not a university carries a stigma or reputation here the answer is yes. However, this can range from the entire university to the specific school. For example, you may be someone who went to a university which has a pretty poor reputation however the school and degree you obtained has a decent reputation individually. This is actually very common at the public/state level. There are some schools which are simply awful but have a few select well regarded programs. My location, as a point of reference, is generally a non-ranked university. This means that across the board they are in the bottom 25%. Despite this, we have one program which offers the 6th ranked degree in the usa as well as another which is ranked 19th in the country. These two are very narrow but to potential employers in those fields, it isn't a detriment to have the university name on your diploma.

Most people afford a higher education via loans or other external programs in the united states. There is a great deal of supplementation but general at the cost of interest rates. Unfortunately, our higher education system makes little to no financial sense. Arguably, anyone obtaining an arts degree in music shouldn't be paying the same costs as someone obtaining an engineering degree. I'm not sure why in the hell this still happens. While completely anecdotal, my interactions with students has solidified my belief that they honestly don't have a single fucking clue what they are getting into with most of their degree choices. Many believe that because they are all paying the same cost, their career and financial future is reasonably inline with everyone else. I honestly have no idea where they get this concept. I've rarely encountered one who believed they would make less than $50,000 in their first job.

To address the elephant in the room. College tuition costs as well as materials, such as books and fees, have dramatically increased in the last 30 years. One professor i've chatted with graduated from one of the best engineering programs in the usa circa 1977. When he graduated he did so with zero student debt working part time the entire 4 years as a bar-back. According to him, he had zero family aid support do to their low income. At this current moment, said school is costing $560 per hour before fees (somewhere around $720 per hour with all fees if i remember correctly.) at the typical 15 credit hour semester to graduate in 4 years, the current rate at said school is hovering at $86,000. That would imply that for zero debt and via no family support an individual would require a nearly $60,000 year job in order to attend a top engineering program in the usa. Good luck with that.
    wrong!

/10

Infracted - Minor Spam
    Last edited by Gray_Matter; 2017-06-25 at 07:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the money wasn't going to Sallie Mae and instead to private banks and lending institutions, I think that would be a step in the right direction. And no, higher education should not be free unless the educational institution decides to give you a merit-based scholarship or waiver.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it isnt free, it is subsidized with taxes.