Page 1 of 3
LastLast

The word "phobia" has been hijacked by the left to paint everyone else bad

From Merriam-Webster dictionary:

Phobia - an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation.
    From Wikipedia:

A phobia is a type of anxiety disorder, defined by a persistent fear of an object or situation.
    An example of a phobia:

Arachnophobia or arachnephobia is a specific phobia, the fear of spiders and other arachnids such as scorpions.
    Hijacked by the left:

Homophobia encompasses a range of negative attitudes and feelings toward homosexuality or people who are identified or perceived as being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT).
    What gives? Just because you're afraid of a group of people it doesn't mean that you hate them or are willing to bash them. A phobia is an IRRATIONAL fear of something. It's perfectly fine to be afraid of a group of people for no reason at all. Acting like an asshole prick towards the said group of people, however, is not. Unfortunately the left has once again hijacked a perfectly fine word and lumped people who are afraid of certain groups of people and people who act like pricks towards certain groups of people into one category. Apparently you can't be afraid of gay people without hating gay people???

10+ Year Old Account
    Different words getting hijacked by ppl with different views in general, not just by left,centrist or right. People who doesnt care about politics do it also.

Words change meaning over time, this is nothing new. Fearing something for no reason at all is irrational, therefore, it is a phobia. All too often, the "fear" is based on simple bigotry and hatred. That's why people use terms like "homophobia." If you prefer, people can simply say homomisia. However, you are missing the point. Fear and hatred are both forms of animosity towards them, so they can easily be linked.

Deleted
    photophobia and hydrophobia disagree with you.

Deleted
    The reason why they deliberately used the term phobia is to automatically make a pre-statement that any disapproval towards homosexuals is due to fear and is therefore always irrational even when it is not. Control the language in such a way that you prevent your ideological opponents from defending themselves using their terminology and use the kind of terminology that automatically makes them wrong by default.

No kidding - can you believe chemists and their use of "hydrophobia"? I'm pretty sure that other compounds aren't afraid of water! That's just chemist propaganda.

The biggest mistaken word used by lefts is facism . They have no clue what are they talking about calling other ppl facist, while they represent the very core definition of facism provided by the father of the movmement Benito Mussolini - Everything in the state, nothing but the state, nothing against the state. Same applies to most of the words they use.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    The reason why they deliberately used the term phobia is to automatically make a pre-statement that any disapproval towards homosexuals is due to fear and is therefore always irrational even when it is not. Control the language in such a way that you prevent your ideological opponents from defending themselves using their terminology and use the kind of terminology that automatically makes them wrong by default.
    I have yet to see a case for rational animosity towards people for being gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    From Merriam-Webster dictionary:

From Wikipedia:

An example of a phobia:

Hijacked by the left:

What gives? Just because you're afraid of a group of people it doesn't mean that you hate them or are willing to bash them. A phobia is an IRRATIONAL fear of something. It's perfectly fine to be afraid of a group of people for no reason at all. Acting like an asshole prick towards the said group of people, however, is not. Unfortunately the left has once again hijacked a perfectly fine word and lumped people who are afraid of certain groups of people and people who act like pricks towards certain groups of people into one category. Apparently you can't be afraid of gay people without hating gay people???
    Well that happens a lot, lets take the word Gay, it meant happy, it got turned into an insult to describe a homosexual, then the homosexuals took the word and embraced it, turning it into something postie. Then later it would again evolve into an insult but not as a negative toward homosexuals but as stating as something is terrible.

It's just the way things goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nehezbegar View Post
    The biggest mistaken word used by lefts is facism . They have no clue what are they talking about calling other ppl facist, while they represent the very core definition of facism provided by the father of the movmement Benito Mussolini - Everything in the state, nothing but the state, nothing against the state. Same applies to most of the words they use.
    I'm not sure what faces have to do with this conversation, but you do you.

Where the fuck is the "rational" fear of homosexual people....

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm not sure what faces have to do with this conversation, but you do you.
    Well we are talking about hijacked word, i think its a good place to inject a discussion about wrongly used words by some of the ideologies. Its very important.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    No kidding - can you believe chemists and their use of "hydrophobia"? I'm pretty sure that other compounds aren't afraid of water! That's just chemist propaganda.

I have a propaganda phone as it has an oleophobic coating.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I have yet to see a case for rational animosity towards people for being gay.

"But I have feelings for men sometimes and am insecure in my sexuality" is about as rational as one can get, and that's not rational.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Phobia - an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation.
    So, are these "left" people really hijacking the term, or are they accurately pointing out an illogical position?

Do you understand what logic really is?

Logic - reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity.
    So, what is your reason to fear gay people (since that seems to be your topic)? What valid reason do you have to fear them? I haven't seen any valid reasoning on the subject. I mean, look at your own post here...no actual reasoning for fearing them was provided.

Sorry, but you didn't actually prove your case here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nehezbegar View Post
    Well we are talking about hijacked word, i think its a good place to inject a discussion about wrongly used words by some of the ideologies. Its very important.
    You mean like communist, conservative, liberal, freedom, limited government, left, right and just about every other word when it relates to politics? All of them are commonly misused. The OP did it in his title, I do enjoy me some irony. On that note, he also misused the words "hijack" and "paint" from their original definitions. He did the exact same thing he was complaining about three times in a single sentence.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2017-06-26 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Well, according to certain sorts, science is just leftist propaganda anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Where the fuck is the "rational" fear of homosexual people....
    They have a rational fear that if they taste dick they would discover it's delicious.

10+ Year Old Account
    What the hell are you smoking, and no, I don't want ANY of that!

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Well, according to certain sorts, science is just leftist propaganda anyway.
    Gravity. Invented by a bunch of leftists to keep us from flying around like Superman!

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much this.