Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Frost Mage Dps Help (The Fallen Avatar)

Me and my guild were progressing on The Fallen Avatar tonight even though it was an off night we still wanted to give it a shot but having to pug people we weren't having much luck. Anyways I feel like my dps was lacking every attempt I was either below 400k or just barely over I also saw this is a very heavy movement fight with Unstable Souls and Rippled Essence and from what I've seen this is a dps check fight at least in Phase 1.

Here are my logs from tonight. Any tips would be appreciated.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...gDq6J9#fight=2

At a glance:
    - All the other dps are using potions, you are not. You should be using 2 pots of prolonged power.
    - You have the lowest itemlevel in the group, try to get some more gear
    - You have the lowest uptime in the group. Golden rule: Never stop casting. You are dpsing the boss 70% of the time when top mages are on him for 99% of the time. That means you are doing something wrong, I see you stop dps for like 10 seconds but can't distill what you are doing.

All these factors combined makes your dps flow look strange. There are hardly any "peak" moments like you usually expect from mages (Pre-Pot + Opener) and your dps flatlines at certain moments. Keep an eye on those things and check the dps flow from other mages on this boss:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...age&spec=Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Manatsunamis View Post
    Me and my guild were progressing on The Fallen Avatar tonight even though it was an off night we still wanted to give it a shot but having to pug people we weren't having much luck. Anyways I feel like my dps was lacking every attempt I was either below 400k or just barely over I also saw this is a very heavy movement fight with Unstable Souls and Rippled Essence and from what I've seen this is a dps check fight at least in Phase 1.

Here are my logs from tonight. Any tips would be appreciated.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...gDq6J9#fight=2
    you know I just got done doing it on heroic and I'm not positive but I dont think my splitting ice was ever working , even when maiden was stacked on the boss. Not sure if its a bug or I'm just imagining thing, but every other fight I was top dps, and everytime I get to Avatar, I get shafted. I know theres heavy movement but I really gotta go back and see if splitting ice is really fucked or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunternation View Post
    you know I just got done doing it on heroic and I'm not positive but I dont think my splitting ice was ever working , even when maiden was stacked on the boss. Not sure if its a bug or I'm just imagining thing, but every other fight I was top dps, and everytime I get to Avatar, I get shafted. I know theres heavy movement but I really gotta go back and see if splitting ice is really fucked or not.
    SI is fucked on Avatar no need to go back and look at anything. Its happening to quite a few people.

Yeah SI does not work on Avatar at all. It's hitbox is kind of weird i guess. On the other hand you don't want to cleave the maiden when the shield isn't up so i can live with that.

Deleted
    That would probably explain why my dps is a shambles on that fight too.
    Honestly a wet noodle would do more dps than I was fs.

Deleted
    Can confirm SI doesn't work on avatar. Lots of classes are constantly cleaving add and boss, either for resource regen or just for pading the meters so don't get upset if your dps looks low compared to others. It's tricky to check damage on shield alone depending on your addon but in my case skada shows total damage on maiden (with shield and without). However if you check for "enemy damage taken" that's the damage without the shield aka meaningless damage. If you extract the meaningless damage from the total damage you get the damage on shield. Just a heads up in case someone calls you out for not doing as much damage on maiden.

Everyone who pads meters on the maiden in this fight should be instantly removed from the group tbh

I agree we don't want to cleave when the shield isn't up but given that we want avatar as low as possible before p2 it would be nice if we could cleave off her to him. Also positioning of her and cleaving to her when she doesn't have shield shouldn't be our fault as the Tank should be keeping her far enough away from him when she doesn't have shield so that people can't cleave her.

One thing i noticed that hasnt been mentioned yet is that you arent using your second heroism thats available with the shard of the exodar legendary. Like literally never used it once across all ur pulls. Also i wouldnt use arctic gale talent or splitting ice, as the cleave damage from SI is basically jsut padding, and you really should never be casting blizzard either.
    Last edited by icetaylor; 2017-06-27 at 05:52 PM.

Deleted
    SI not working on fallen avatar is ENTIRELY intented bcoz you're not supposed to touch the maiden except during the shield phases, infact it would be greatly destrimental to kill him if you did.

Quote Originally Posted by icetaylor View Post
    One thing i noticed that hasnt been mentioned yet is that you arent using your second heroism thats available with the shard of the exodar legendary. Like literally never used it once across all ur pulls. Also i wouldnt use arctic gale talent or splitting ice, as the cleave damage from SI is basically jsut padding, and you really should never be casting blizzard either.
    Quote Originally Posted by almara2512 View Post
    SI not working on fallen avatar is ENTIRELY intented bcoz you're not supposed to touch the maiden except during the shield phases, infact it would be greatly destrimental to kill him if you did.
    Just to save time. Realize that the more dmg you do to Avatar while still only attacking maiden during shield phases means the lower the HP of him when he goes to phase 2. I can almost guess that part of the timing of Avatar on mythic will be with the expectation you tank maiden as close to Avatar as possible DURING shield so that while you break her shield you can be dealing dmg to Avatar. It is NOT padding to be able to cleave to him while still attacking her DURING her shield phases ONLY. The tanks would be moving her away from cleave range after the shield is broken. I don't think any of those scenarios or situations should be called padding. If she's dying early or before you've achieved more than 1 or 2 shield phases then yes people are dealing her unnecessary dmg.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xinder View Post
    Just to save time. Realize that the more dmg you do to Avatar while still only attacking maiden during shield phases means the lower the HP of him when he goes to phase 2. I can almost guess that part of the timing of Avatar on mythic will be with the expectation you tank maiden as close to Avatar as possible DURING shield so that while you break her shield you can be dealing dmg to Avatar. It is NOT padding to be able to cleave to him while still attacking her DURING her shield phases ONLY. The tanks would be moving her away from cleave range after the shield is broken. I don't think any of those scenarios or situations should be called padding. If she's dying early or before you've achieved more than 1 or 2 shield phases then yes people are dealing her unnecessary dmg.
    well that comes with several problems tho, it means that your tanks will have to move significantly more when they need to reposition the maiden when a new beam spawns and if you could cleave from the maiden to the avatar, then the opposite would need to be true as well, this way makes it easier and the tanks doesnt need to move the maiden all the time.

well that comes with several problems tho, it means that your tanks will have to move significantly more when they need to reposition the maiden when a new beam spawns and if you could cleave from the maiden to the avatar, then the opposite would need to be true as well, this way makes it easier and the tanks doesnt need to move the maiden all the time.
    At the same time if we're talking about Mythic difficulty I don't think tanks moving a boss at specific times and still keeping up mitigation is something outside of the realm of possibility as a requirement for the fight. I would think a tank could move maiden right as she's about to get full energy and get her closer to the boss, then move her after it's passed. While I get why blizzard may have broken that functionality because of how the mechanics of the fight work, I also don't think it's a hard ask by them to expect movement like that from the tank. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunternation View Post
    The hit boxes are weird and it doesn't always fire off. I keep turning my character until I see 2 go and stay at that angle as long as I can. Splitting ice does that sometimes though. I have had it not cleave mobs stacked on each other both directly in front of me and then had things like one fly off while fighting the big dino before Ilyganoth hit a tendril or the boss when either is well out of my range and out of the 180 degree cone.

- - - Updated - - -

A few ice lances aren't going to kill it. Other abilities spread and cleave to it so just shutting off splitting ice can't be intended.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    T
    A few ice lances aren't going to kill it. Other abilities spread and cleave to it so just shutting off splitting ice can't be intended.
    well, it can result in the maiden dying too early, so you get into ph2 with fallen avatar at way too high hp that its nigh impossible to get him down in time b4 all the floor is gone.

Avatar's hitbox is like 20 yards deep, its crazy. It is probably some issue with maiden being inside his hitbox or something.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    How about more people give insight on the kid's DPS issues and less about the lack of Splitting Ice that we've all known about since PTR.

As far as the OP's concerns, you're not casting enough, you're not making optimal use of shimmer, you're not using potions, and you're not using your BiS legendary effect aka 2nd Time warp. Those are all reasons why your dps is suffering so badly
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    How about more people give insight on the kid's DPS issues and less about the lack of Splitting Ice that we've all known about since PTR.

As far as the OP's concerns, you're not casting enough, you're not making optimal use of shimmer, you're not using potions, and you're not using your BiS legendary effect aka 2nd Time warp. Those are all reasons why your dps is suffering so badly
    Basicly this, Also your teammates have their artifact weapon on Concordance, while you seem to miss concordance and the 4th golden trait (and maby more?)

Quote Originally Posted by Naiyano View Post
    Everyone who pads meters on the maiden in this fight should be instantly removed from the group tbh
    Totally agree