Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Hasn't Google done that forever though ?
    Doesn't make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Hell if it wasn't for the the anti-trust stuff happening early 2000 you wouldn't have half the stuff you like now since Microsoft held back the internet for half a decade
    What? Microsoft had created the Internet as we know it. Without it, you would still have Web 1.0 and <BLINK> tag. Every innovation in HTML was created by Microsoft alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    What? Microsoft had created the Internet as we know it. Without it, you would still have Web 1.0 and <BLINK> tag. Every innovation in HTML was created by Microsoft alone.
    wat. IE was garbage for many many many years :P

Deleted
    your two statements are not in conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by khazlol View Post
    IE was garbage for many many many years :P
    And Opera was such a good browser it didn't support JavaScript. What browser was not "garbage"?

i don't really see the issue with what google did?

it's their search engine service. what right does any other company have to promote shit on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    It bears repeating : the BASIS of the free market is competition (that's the ENTIRE POINT), and competition requires the absence of monopoly. So actual defenders of free markets would encourage regulation of dominant positions, because Google masking competition is doing exactly what is noxious to free market (i.e. : this fine is PRECISELY to defend free market).

It's rather incredible how the most mindless self-styled supporters of free markets actually want to end free market so a few corporations can dominate everything without competition.
    Google does not have a monopoly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Neither the US or the EU have a free market model...we have a regulated market so I'm not sure what you are trying to do here? Sure the US has some extremes in regards to lack of regulation but in essence they are still a regulated market.

Free market doesn't really exist, except in Somalia, and you trying to add confusion doesn't really do much either.
    I never said that they do have a free market, and neither does Somalia. I support free markets, which is why I oppose such measures.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    No it counters monopolies the biggest enemy of a free market.

- - - Updated - - -

That isn't what it is about, but not surprised you didn't get the idea.

Ironically, government is the cause of almost all monopolies.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post

it's their search engine service. what right does any other company have to promote shit on it?
    Most countries have rules preventing the creation of monopolies, which acts in restraint of trade and allows a company to charge over the commercial value of their products.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    BEARS DO NOT SHIT IN THE WOODS. THE POPE IS NOT A CATHOLIC.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Most countries have rules preventing the creation of monopolies, which acts in restraint of trade and allows a company to charge over the commercial value of their products.
    this isn't a monopoly. google search engine is google's service.

there's a lot of other search engines if you want to promote your stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

BEARS DO NOT SHIT IN THE WOODS. THE POPE IS NOT A CATHOLIC.
    I'm not even sure what you are trying to say. Google is not a monopoly, and the EU never actually showed how Google is actually harming people.

I would pull all support for a day or two from eu. How the fuck does a Continent impose a fine? Who even collects the money? Putin?
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

15+ Year Old Account
    And Opera was such a good browser it didn't support JavaScript. What browser was not "garbage"?
    Netscape!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

They do have a monopoly as it is understood under modern antitrust laws.

Ironically, government is the cause of almost all monopolies.
    They do have a monopoly as it is understood under modern antitrust laws. That lack of ignorance on the topic is really shining through right now And yes, it's totes legit the government that's the cause, not companies becoming so rich they are too big to fail, who abuse their wealth to stifle competition. But hey, in laissez faire Utopia that doesn't work and never worked, a tiny company can take on giant established companies by simply having a better product /s And when the big companies lobby for even more beneficial laws for their monopoly building, that's obviously all on the lobbied governments, not the lobbying companies, because companies are infallible or some shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post

Their search engine relies on the work of others though, if they have nothing to search through, they are useless. So this isn't eacly a one way street.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    I would pull all support for a day or two from eu. How the fuck does a Continent impose a fine? Who even collects the money? Putin?
    Since when is European Union a continent and since when does Putin have anything to do with the European Union?

I'm not even sure what you are trying to say. Google is not a monopoly, and the EU never actually showed how Google is actually harming people.
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...n-fine-from-eu Uh-huh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    They do have a monopoly as it is understood under modern antitrust laws.

They do have a monopoly as it is understood under modern antitrust laws. That lack of ignorance on the topic is really shining through right now And yes, it's totes legit the government that's the cause, not companies becoming so rich they are too big to fail, who abuse their wealth to stifle competition. But hey, in laissez faire Utopia that doesn't work and never worked, a tiny company can take on giant established companies by simply having a better product /s And when the big companies lobby for even more beneficial laws for their monopoly building, that's obviously all on the lobbied governments, not the lobbying companies, because companies are infallible or some shit.
    The EU ruled that way based on their restrictive laws, which is not really a surprise. The free market is their biggest enemy. I'd much rather go by the definition of the word as it relates to economics.

In the United States, almost all monopolies are caused and forced by the government. They only oppose monopolies that they do not control. Small companies can take on giant companies, they simply need to find a way to be more efficient, or provide a better product or service.

I never said companies are not infallible, which is why I oppose corporatist bullshit. Heck, look at all the companies (Google's competitors) that cheered on the decision... more corporatist bullshit. Their competitors just got an advantage based on government meddling, which is corporatism.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Since when is European Union a continent and since when does Putin have anything to do with the European Union?

https://www.theguardian.com/business...n-fine-from-eu Uh-huh.
    Nope:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/definition/monopoly

Deleted
    Google is being fined under antitrust law. So at least as far as EU law is concerned, yes they are a monopoly. That is what antitrust law is meant to stop.

Obviously the EU believes that by creating a monopoly google is stifling competition and keeping prices artificially high for the consumer, which "harms" them.

Google is being fined under antitrust law. So at least as far as EU law is concerned, yes they are a monopoly. That is what antitrust law is meant to stop.

Obviously the EU believes that by creating a monopoly google is stifling competition and keeping prices artificially high for the consumer, which "harms" them.
    Sadly, they are not a monopoly. This is more needless meddling on the part of the EU. They are good about things like that. That's the thing, they didn't really show that Google was artificially raising prices. Ironically, that is exactly what the EU does. I guess the EU did not want to lose their monopoly on such things.

Deleted
    Sadly, they are not a monopoly. This is more needless meddling on the part of the EU. They are good about things like that. That's the thing, they didn't really show that Google was artificially raising prices. Ironically, that is exactly what the EU does. I guess the EU did not want to lose their monopoly on such things.
    You seem to have reflexive hatred of the EU in search of an actual argument.

The EU does not have a monopoly on search engines. It does not have a search engine, it is not a tech company. There is not even a significant EU player in search. You are not making any sense.

You seem to have reflexive hatred of the EU in search of an actual argument.

The EU does not have a monopoly on search engines. It does not have a search engine, it is not a tech company. There is not even a significant EU player in search. You are not making any sense.
    No, I have a disdain for unnecessary restrictions coming from governments.

The EU has a monopoly on being a monopoly, and being the one to restrict and limit competition. They are supposedly wanting to punish Google for something they claim as a sovereign right.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2017-06-28 at 11:09 AM.