Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Tell me that's an exaggeration.
    Alas, no. They were counting down how many Republican legislatures they need (seven) to call a Constitutional Convention and start over with a blank piece of paper. Once a Convention starts, it's anything goes, and some people have big plans.

I think the rest of the world would be genuinely surprised at how normal life is and has been in the US, despite the media and internet portraying us to look like we're on the verge of civil war.

Can't blame anyone for thinking it looks that way though, especially when your nose is getting rubbed in it 24/7.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Man View Post
    Alas, no. They were counting down how many Republican legislatures they need (seven) to call a Constitutional Convention and start over with a blank piece of paper. Once a Convention starts, it's anything goes, and some people have big plans.
    Holy cow. That's almost literally crazy talk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy cow. That's almost literally crazy talk.
    Which is crazy? a Constitutional Convention, or the fact that the Republicans are actually approaching that level of control that they could call one on their own

as of January 2017 there are

25 states that have a Republican Governor and also have Republican control of both or the only Legislatures,
    7 other states have a Democrat Governor, but have Republican control of both Legislatures,
    only 5 states have a Democrat Governor AND Democrat control of both Legislatures.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Which is crazy? a Constitutional Convention, or the fact that the Republicans are actually approaching that level of control that they could call one on their own

25 states that have a Republican Governor and also have Republican control of both or the only Legislatures,
    7 other states have a Democrat Governor, but have Republican control of both Legislatures,
    only 5 states have a Democrat Governor AND Democrat control of both Legislatures.
    Considering that the GOP has proven time and again to be out to fuck americans and line their own pockets, I would say both developments are crazy.

However, given our current Liar-in-Chief and all his considerable illegal activities, I expect there to be a drastic change in those numbers over the next decade.

It is scary, however, that the GOP is technically that close to being able to call a convention. How would that even work?

Constitutional convention? Some people just wanna see the world burn. Although it would be funny seeing the US divided into 2 states looking like swiss cheese.

Liberals have turned rabid, that's why. They're frothing from their mouths after Trump's win... all the while SJW morons are ruining the education system, wanting institutionalised thinking instead of having a place to share ideas.

Loathsome, hypocritical bunch... and I find it disgusting the direction we're heading.

15+ Year Old Account
    #russiansdidit

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Liberals have turned rabid, that's why. They're frothing from their mouths after Trump's win... all the while SJW morons are ruining the education system, wanting institutionalised thinking instead of having a place to share ideas.

Loathsome, hypocritical bunch... and I find it disgusting the direction we're heading.
    /eyeroll
    /10char
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering that the GOP has proven time and again to be out to fuck americans and line their own pockets, I would say both developments are crazy.

However, given our current Liar-in-Chief and all his considerable illegal activities, I expect there to be a drastic change in those numbers over the next decade.

It is scary, however, that the GOP is technically that close to being able to call a convention. How would that even work?
    Add to that, 57% of all elected legislators in the US are Republican, let that sink in.

The website for National Conference of State Legislatures will present you some truly sobering information about the current level of control and how it radically differs from even 8 years ago.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post

You do know what Betsy DeVos actual position is on education? While you complain of liberals frothing, while blaming "SJW morons" for ruining schools and preventing sharing of ideas... The actual government has Betsy DeVos in charge of education. You can blame every thing on SJW morons and liberals, assumingely doing so while amazingly have the ability to not be frothing. Just keep ignoring what government is actually doing...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah, and do you know what's going to happen if they do?

The states that actually have money are going to walk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Add to that, 57% of all elected legislators in the US are Republican, let that sink in.

The website for National Conference of State Legislatures will present you some truly sobering information about the current level of control and how it radically differs from even 8 years ago.
    Gerrymandering is an amazing thing, and the GOP is the equivalent of the KGB when it comes to remarking voting districts. I'll look at that website. I knew the change was drastic though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gerrymandering is an amazing thing, and the GOP is the equivalent of the KGB when it comes to remarking voting districts. I'll look at that website. I knew the change was drastic though.

Gerrymandering you say?
    Who do you suppose drew this district? Who do you suppose the congressman that represents this district is?
    Last edited by Seranthor; 2017-06-28 at 07:11 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Gerrymandering you say?
    Who do you suppose drew this district? Who do you suppose the congressman that represents this district is?
    Oh, please don't misunderstand me - the Dems are the second best group at gerrymandering. It's just that the GOP is by far and away the masters of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, please don't misunderstand me - the Dems are the second best group at gerrymandering. It's just that the GOP is by far and away the masters of it.
    They learned from the inventor of it, a Democrat.... but either way, its a horrible practice and should be stamped out regardless of who is drawing the districts.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    They learned from the inventor of it, a Democrat.... but either way, its a horrible practice and should be stamped out regardless of who is drawing the districts.
    That is not correct, whatsoever. I'm not even sure how you'd source a statement like that. Can you?

However, it is a horrible practice, and should be outlawed. It's such an easy fix, but it requires both honesty and a desire to let go of power by people who have sought it their entire lives. Which will never happen.

Gerrymandering you say?
    It's gerrymandered in a way that it's all Latino- North is Puerto Rico, south is Mexican-American, to ensure they all have their say when they vote. In fact, if done properly, gerrymandering is beneficial for a minority population that would otherwise be completely ignored by politicians. That would explain it's bonkers and suspicious shape.

Unfortunately the game is now gerrymandering by political affiliation rather than minority.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    That is not correct, whatsoever. I'm not even sure how you'd source a statement like that. Can you?

However, it is a horrible practice, and should be outlawed. It's such an easy fix, but it requires both honesty and a desire to let go of power by people who have sought it their entire lives. Which will never happen.

The word gerrymander (originally written Gerry-mander) was used for the first time in the Boston Gazette on 26 March 1812. The word was created in reaction to a redrawing of Massachusetts state senate election districts under Governor Elbridge Gerry (pronounced /ˈɡɛri/; 1744–1814). In 1812, Governor Gerry signed a bill that redistricted Massachusetts to benefit his Democratic-Republican Party. When mapped, one of the contorted districts in the Boston area was said to resemble the shape of a mythological salamander.[4]

The Democratic-Republican Party was an American political party formed by Thomas Jefferson and James Madison in 1791–93 to oppose the centralizing policies of the new Federalist Party run by Alexander Hamilton, who was then Secretary of the Treasury and chief architect of George Washington's administration.[2] The new party controlled the presidency and Congress, as well as most states, from 1801 to 1825, during the First Party System. It began in 1791 as one faction in Congress, and included many politicians who had been opposed to the new constitution. They called themselves Republicans after their ideology, Republicanism. They distrusted the Federalist commitment to republicanism. The party splintered in 1824 into the Jacksonian movement (which became the Democratic Party in the 1830s) and the short-lived National Republican Party (later succeeded by the Whig Party).

I prefer to have accurate information, so if I am incorrect please show me where and provide the correcting information
    Last edited by Seranthor; 2017-06-28 at 07:28 PM.

The Patient Lothar from accounting's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's the Wikipedia page for Gerrymandering in the United States that suggests in its opening line that the process has been happening in the US since the start. So that negates the "Democrat inventor" claim.
    So, where did I get it wrong?

See above. You got the part where it's named for him right, but not the part where he invented the process.