Deleted

Unknown Network Ethernet Issue

Hi,

Since a few months I've had a strange and annoying issue on my PC: my Ethernet connection on my desktop drops randomly, the Internet icon displays the yellow triangle and instead of my home network it lists "Unknown Network".

Meanwhile my Wifi works fine and my TV, connected via an Ethernet cable to the same modem, can connect to the Internet just fine. The modem also functions as it should.

I found no specific trigger for it, seems to happen randomly. Usually it corrects itself after 10 or more minutes. Happens about once every 2 days or so. Sometimes it doesn't happen for a week.

I already tried resetting my modem (which shouldn't be an issue based on my description above), swapped Ethernet cables with my TV, ran malware scans, all to no avail.
    I have yet to look into updating my network adapter drivers, but if that doesn't do it I'm lost.

I run Windows 10. Posting this from my iPad, so apologies if there's weird auto corrects.

I hope you can help me out, thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

This is my IP config while it's working again:

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2a02:1811:b126:8200:30df:a8f4:ad93:d81b
    Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2a02:1811:b126:8200:407d:8c27:f4ca:8ba7
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::30df:a8f4:ad93:d81b%10
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.121
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::de53:7cff:fe69:2d89%10

Tunnel adapter isatap.home:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:6abd:148c:268e:4d8b:e4a0
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::148c:268e:4d8b:e4a0%11
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you using DHCP or is it a static address?

Should try assigning one if it's dynamic and see if it happens again.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe try running a constant ping to your default gateway and when you lose connection, refer to it and see if packets are indeed being dropped.

Are you using a VPN? I get this sometimes when I disconnect from the VPN and the network sometimes loses it's place.

Deleted
    DHCP @Colmadero @bloodrunner, no VPN and turned all those settings off.

Installed the latest drivers of my network adapter, let's see if that solved the issue. It's been 2 years since the last update, so it's very likely.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Myz assign a static IP and see if that helps, together with the new drivers.

15+ Year Old Account
    You could try buying a usb to ethernet adapter to see if it is your nic that is in your computer that is the problem.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    You could try buying a usb to ethernet adapter to see if it is your nic that is in your computer that is the problem.
    When you switched cables with the tv did you plug the tv and the computer back into the same ports? Or did you test both ports with the computer? Could be a port on the modem is going bad as well.

You could turn off IPv6 in the network adapter. I've seen it give an issue sometimes on older equipment. As suggested could be the Ethernet port on the computer as well.

Deleted
    @Logwyn: my Ethernet cables are connected through a Devolo wall socket since my modem is on the ground floor and my desk on the 5th floor (I have a pretty big appartement). This product in particular: http://www.devolo.be/producten/dlan-...kit-powerline/
    My rig is 1.5 years old and contains the best available hardware at that time.

I've been using this network setup for close to 2 years without issue. I have a strong feeling it's my driver: in my driver history I can see changes made on 30/09/2016, likely due to a Windows Update. That could well be the date these problems started. Since my driver update yesterday I had no ethernet blackouts, and I tried to trigger it by opening a lot of different tabs while playing World of Warcraft.

I'll try out the other suggestions and provide feedback to all of you if the driver update didn't solve it. Thank you for your suggestions.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2017-06-29 at 07:52 AM.

Deleted
    Driver update did not solve it, same issue now upon opening a Twitch stream. Time to try other options in this thread.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

- - - Updated - - -

Update: I reset my powerline adapters and upgraded their firmware through the Devolo Cockpit software. I sincerely hope this one does the trick. Stable throughout the rest of the evening and this morning.

I also checked my Windows error log book and the errors that coincide with my issue is DNS timeouts and the DHCP client failing to start.

The problem is your powerline most likely.
    While the idea of the powerline is great, it works shitty. A little interference from anything and you may see a ping spike or drop of connection. It will never be perfect because power cables are not built to protect from outside interference, so even perfect or new cabling will make the issue rare, but will never be able to remove it.

1.Restart network list services,
    2.turn off firewall and antivirus
    3.update NIC drivers
    4.if you are using dhcp server update server lease time
    The yellow symbol coming when system is unable to obtain ip address eg dhcp down or dhcp in other network etc..

Regards,
    Christian

This happened to me as well with powerline adapters. Here are some tips to help (possibly fix this altogether).

1) If not already, make sure your powerline adapters plugged in directly in the wall sockets (both adapters) and not into a power strip, as this degrades signal and connectivity.
    2) If you're using a router or gateway (modem with wifi) go in their settings and check for a firmware update.

Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    Driver update did not solve it, same issue now upon opening a Twitch stream. Time to try other options in this thread.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

- - - Updated - - -

Update: I reset my powerline adapters and upgraded their firmware through the Devolo Cockpit software. I sincerely hope this one does the trick. Stable throughout the rest of the evening and this morning.

I also checked my Windows error log book and the errors that coincide with my issue is DNS timeouts and the DHCP client failing to start.
    There's a another solution, if not an inexpensive one. They sell mesh wifi systems now that are designed to basically chain the wifi signal between multiple base stations in order to cover much larger areas and/or ones with poor wifi coverage.

This is one of the more expensive, but also better systems currently out there.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...-orbi-reviewed

Regardless, I would dump the supplied router and buy one of your own. They're better, more powerful, more flexible and you control them.

Deleted
    It was the firmware of my adapters . Sorry for not getting back to you but haven't had a disconnect ever since.

Deleted
    After a full month without any issues it is now back. I'm at a loss, I have no idea what is causing this anymore. It's so goddamn random. No updates happened yesterday, no new program installations, no changed settings, no nothing.

Now that my internet is back (also for no reason, did not reset or even touch anything), I'm going to buy a new set of powerlines. If that doesn't do it, I'm moving my desk 2 floors down to sit next to the modem and have a direct ethernet connection.

If even that doesn't do it, I'm replacing my modem. Firmware is kept up to date by my ISP and I can't get any other modem than the one they deliver, but they do offer excellent service and will replace instantly if something is wrong.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2017-07-24 at 07:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd look into moca adapters if you have available cable tv jacks in both rooms/locations (RG6)