Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The only thing that can stop a bad guy exercising his 1st Amendment rights is ...

The only thing that can stop a bad guy exercising his 1st Amendment rights is a good guy exercising his 2nd Amendment rights? That seems to be the gist of this NRA ad that was just released on facebook.

This raises a question for “both sides” apostles: Can you think of a recent video anywhere near as vicious as this one from a left-wing group? I don’t mean some dude on Twitter. I mean some significant organization associated with mainstream liberalism. It’s an honest question. I don’t watch a lot of propaganda videos, so I could easily have missed something.

Pro tip; open the video with incognito mode, or GoogleAds will spam you with NRA ads. Or feel free to read a quick transcript.

They use their media to assassinate real news. They use their schools to teach children that their president is another Hitler. They use their movie stars and singers and award shows to repeat their narrative over and over again. And then they use their ex-president to endorse the resistance. All to make them march, make them protest, make them scream racism and sexism and xenophobia and homophobia and smash windows, burn cars, shut down interstates and airports, bully and terrorize the law abiding — until the only option left is for the police to do their jobs and stop the madness. And when that happens, they’ll use it as an excuse for their outrage.

The only way we stop this, the only way we save our country and our freedom is to fight this violence of lies with the clenched fist of truth. I’m the National Rifle Association of America and I’m freedom’s safest place.

Not hard to wonder who "they" is supposed to mean.

I can't punch a Nazi, but I can shoot some uppity Libruls? Sweet.

I'll never understand why people/groups like this think their message is somehow being suppressed by the nefarious THEY. But it is quite funny to see those who rail against people playing the victim reveling in playing the victim.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Do your duty, shoot a liberal."

That's what the video is saying, right?

So because it's an NRA ad, it automatically means "go out and shoot people" ?

"With the clenched fist of truth"
    Wow... quite the allegory for shooting, eh?

But please, being told to go "Fight, shed blood on the streets" "Resist by any means necessary", etc... oh yeah, totally squeaky clean allergories.

If you're wondering, those came from for VP Candidate Tim Kaine and your former AG Loretta Lynch.
    And that's just what I can come up with in 5 seconds.

But, please, go on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyliria View Post

But please, being told to go "Fight, shed blood on the streets" "Resist by any means necessary", etc... oh yeah, totally squeaky clean allergories.

If you're wondering, those came from for VP Candidate Tim Kaine and your former AG Loretta Lynch.

But, please, go on.

What do you mean by "your former AG Loretta Lynch"? As the AG she represented all of the US. Like how Jeff Sessions is our current AG.

Unless you're just talking about "those" people?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's literally no categorization that fits the looney-tunes interpretation of "them" that the video cites. They're literally describing a boogeyman.

And what the hell does the National Rifle Association consider the "clenched fist of truth"? Given that their entire reason for existing is lobbying for the gun manufacturers, you have to assume they mean armed resistance. To words they don't like.

And "they" are the problem in that equation?

In detailed sentence-by-sentence breakdown;

1> If any "side" of the news media (which shouldn't have "sides", but apparently facts are left-wing now) has issues with "assassinating real news", it's the Breitbarts and Infowars, not the CNNs or MSNBCs, for what warts they may still have.

2> There are clear similarities between Trump's rhetoric and Hitler's, during Hitler's rise to power; it's populist nationalism. If that makes you uncomfortable, maybe you should ask yourself why you voted for him, rather than raging at those who've pointed out the similarity.

3> Nobody's "using" movie stars and singers and award shows. Those people just have their own minds and speak them. I know, frightening; famous people who don't agree with you on stuff. DANGER.

4> Obama only endorsed standing up for your political ideals. So just can that claim completely.

5> Protesting and marching is pretty much just free speech. Don't like it? Don't listen. Or speak out against it. That's all you get.

6> Maybe, just maybe, if you get called a racist/sexist/xenophobe/homophobe constantly for the things you say, maybe have the self-reflection to recognize that maybe you are. Because seriously, there's plenty of straight white dudes (like myself) who've basically never been called any of those.

7> Smashing windows and burning cars is already illegal, and the cops are already on that where they can be.

8> Nobody is "shutting down interstates and airports".

9> "bully and terrorize the law-abiding"? Most of what you're complaining about here, NRA, is law-abiding behaviour.

10> The police largely ARE doing their jobs. They're just not magically able to capture every single criminal. Sometimes a car gets burned and they can't figure out who actually did it. It sucks, but it doesn't mean they're ignoring it.

It's almost impressive how much disinformation they packed into that few words.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    *snip*
    Short answer, if the left can use and endorse violence and make them the standard rules of engagement then one shouldn't be surprised in the least if the right decides to play by those VERY same rules.

Noam Chomsky warned of the consequences if his fellow lefties engage in this “self-destructive” tactic during the debate over punching Nazis. “When we move to the arena of violence, the most brutal guys win – and that’s not us,” Chomsky said.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're a lobby group for gun rights. Using guns is their entire reason for existence. If this didn't have to do with guns or gun rights, why would they be getting involved?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Short answer, if the left can use and endorse violence and make them the standard rules of engagement then one shouldn't be surprised in the least if the right decides to play by those VERY same rules.
    Literally hasn't happened.

Also, here's a hint; there's no such thing as "the left". There's a wide range of people who have a wide range of views that are more left-wing than yours, but there's no cohesive agreement on particulars and they don't operate as a hive mind. One left-wing person behaving badly does not automatically mean all left-wingers think the same things that one person thought.

But, please, go on.
    "That has been people, individuals, who have banded together. Ordinary people who simply saw what needed to be done and came together in support of those ideals, who have made the difference. They've marched, they've bled. Yes, some of them have died. This is hard. Every good thing is. We've done this before, we can do this again."
    ~Loretta Lynch

Please, indeed. Before you regurgitate the typical lies and obfuscation you so eagerly swallow from whatever conservative talking head told you what they think she said, maybe you should take 30 seconds and google it for yourself.

Tell me how someone evoking the image of the civil rights movements, with fire hoses and attack dogs being turned on the demonstrators is exactly the same as someone speaking on behalf of a fucking firearms organization talking about how violent their opposition is. The hell do you think someone who sees clips of riots being posted by the NRA is supposed to get out of that? Surely it has nothing to do with their "good guy with a gun" horseshit?

Didn't Timothy McVeigh blow up the FBI building in Oklahoma to because he was worried about gun control?

Don't see anything wrong with the video. Just people looking for something to be outraged about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    They're a lobby group for gun rights. Using guns is their entire reason for existence. If this didn't have to do with guns or gun rights, why would they be getting involved?

- - - Updated - - -

Literally hasn't happened.

Also, here's a hint; there's no such thing as "the left". There's a wide range of people who have a wide range of views that are more left-wing than yours, but there's no cohesive agreement on particulars and they don't operate as a hive mind. One left-wing person behaving badly does not automatically mean all left-wingers think the same things that one person thought.
    replace the word left in your sentence with the word right, and remember that.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    replace the word left in your sentence with the word right, and remember that.
    You're welcome to dig into my post history to see where I've ever acted as if "the right" was ever a hive mind regarding anything. It's not even true of Republicans, let alone the broader spectrum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both sides are preaching violence and it will eventually culminate into an event worth writing a wikipedia article about.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just look at a timeline of NRA literature and adverts. They spend a lot of time on promoting "self defense" as a reason to buy a gun. This isnt the 50's and 60's when they spent most time on promoting sport shooting and hunting education. As hunting has drastically declined in the US. There's just not much sales or fundraising in appealing to hunters.

You're welcome to dig into my post history to see where I've ever acted as if "the right" was ever a hive mind regarding anything. It's not even true of Republicans, let alone the broader spectrum.
    I'm sorry, person that uses alt-right seriously and plays into the "The entire right is racist because KKK" argument. Are you pretending you don't generalize?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    I'm sorry, person that uses alt-right seriously and plays into the "The entire right is racist because KKK" argument. Are you pretending you don't generalize?
    Hey look, ridiculous stuff you literally made up. Are you serious with that nonsense?

Hey look, ridiculous stuff you literally made up. Are you serious with that nonsense?
    Are you serious with the nonsense of lying?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Are you serious with the nonsense of lying?
    The alt-right is a clear movement. They've self-defined themselves with that label. I didn't invent them, and pretending they don't exist is silly.

I've never claimed that the "entire right is racist". Not ever. Go ahead; search my post history.

I'm not lying, here. You are.

The alt-right is a clear movement. They've self-defined themselves with that label. I didn't invent them, and pretending they don't exist is silly.

I've never claimed that the "entire right is racist". Not ever. Go ahead; search my post history.

I'm not lying, here. You are.
    So clear that no one here claims to be alt-right but that term is used to label people who don't agree with encouraging or rewarding illegal immigration.

And sure you haven't. Just like you didn't defend punching "fascists" before.