Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Another fact is the older a video game becomes, especially a competitive one, the higher the average player ability. Sooner or later not-so-good players figure out it's not worth wasting their time on and leave the scene, because yeah winning is fun and losing is not.

Ratings are not based on absolute skill, they are based on relative win/loss chance compared to the rest of the player base. Your 1500 rating is roughly average but that also says something about the strength of the players still playing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    Another fact is the older a video game becomes, especially a competitive one, the higher the average player ability. Sooner or later not-so-good players figure out it's not worth wasting their time on and leave the scene, because yeah winning is fun and losing is not.

Ratings are not based on absolute skill, they are based on relative win/loss chance compared to the rest of the player base. Your 1500 rating is roughly average but that also says something about the strength of the players still playing.

This always bothered me about wow. They clearly don't have people who understand this. It is pretty obvious really, you'd think a billion dollar corporation would have smart people who could figure this out.
    I remember the poker rooms figured this out over ten years ago and were seriously concerned about its negative impact on their growth. It wasn't like this was a big secret or anything. Why it eluded Blizzard for so long doesn't suggest to me that they know what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post
    ...and the proliferation of cheaters. I see things happen that no real human can accomplish thanks to bots, hacks, and the use of macro software/hardware to bypass in-game limitations.
    ^This. Nothing more, nothing less.The biggest, most important, most famous guilds bot constantly - gathering bots for sure. Everyone else is using bots to perform interrupts if nothing else, esp in PvP. Competitive esports are all a big fucking wank. I know they want you to think you can improve, or grind out more AP or whatever, better gear...but it's all one huge con.

Carrot - Stick - you're an idiot, the fool that can easily be separated from his money.

Being an adult it's a lot harder to obsessively spend your entire life honing ultimately useless skills.

Though when I was younger I still sucked so I have no excuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

I dunno, I don't play competitive games and I just prefer single player games, but I'm 37 now and I'd say I'm only getting better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Imo, when you get older you are not as focussed and invested in games anymore.

You do still play them, you just aren't "into it" as you used to. The focus is fleeting.
    Depends on the person really. Some people even into adulthood are just as passionate about videogames.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Depends on the person really. Some people even into adulthood are just as passionate about videogames.
    Sure, and that's ok if that's how you want to live.

But in general people build up a career, start a family etc. which costs almost all your time if you want to do it succesfully.

Deleted
    Well, i am an old guy in my 50s, and my reflexes arent as good when i started playing computer games with pong in the old days.

So no, i am also not really great at gaming. For me it is about having fun in a gameplay that is engaging to a degree and based on good game mechanics, a good narrative, if present and an interesting concept.