Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Humans.

Every other race are humans with some additions, like pointy ears, green skin or a shoe sole on their forehead.

\m/ Klingons! \m/
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Humans. /10char.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    One of the things I find absolutely tiresome about Star Trek is that it's hugely vulnerable to the "one biome" mistake that's prevalent in science fiction, where any alien planet has one single biome. "Jungle planet", for instance.

Their species are no different (which is why I mentioned it). All species members, except humanity, reflect a particular stereotype. The few exceptions are very small exceptions.

For instance, Klingons are "honor-bound, angry warrior species". Worf's single real deviation from that is he's got better control of his anger than most. That's it.
    Vulcans are "logical super-men".

Same extends to the others. They're all defined by less than a handful of characteristics, and all members share that.

It's fine to have a trend within a species, whether cultural or genetic, but you need variety. Instead, most of them have the variety of the Borg, and at least the Borg have an excuse for that (since they're basically one "person", as a hive entity).

Go on; pick out favorite character examples. There'll probably be one characteristic where they break with their species' mold, at most, and many don't even do that; they're carried by a really talented actor more than anything else.
    Then dont watch it?

OP: I've always found the Borg to be the most interesting species. The concept of a Hive mind is an interesting concept

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Then dont watch it?

OP: I've always found the Borg to be the most interesting species. The concept of a Hive mind is an interesting concept
    That got pretty much destroyed by the creation of the Borg Queen.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Tie between Terran and Betazoid.

Although idk if I'd want people viewing my thoughts.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Deleted
    Female Betazoids going through "The Phase"

The Ferengi

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    To me, the Borg lost a lot of their "punch" when it was revealed they had a queen.
    The Borg do not have a "Queen". They have multiple specialized drones that serve as a centralized processing unit that co-ordinates all the other drones. Borg Queen is a misnomer invented by the Federation.

The Voyager crew had multiple encounters with the same Borg Queen but that does not mean she was the only one.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Tribbles of course. Who wouldn't like a race of terrible hair pieces?

Klingons, with the Ferengi a close second.

10+ Year Old Account
    whatever race she is, blue with 3 tits would be nicer tho

-K

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    whatever race she is, blue with 3 tits would be nicer tho

That's Gaila, an Orion female. Also, it's Rachel Nichols, from Continuum among other things.

She's perfect the way she is. No extra mammaries required.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2017-07-04 at 04:41 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hear unjoined Trills are not picky.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

And I definitely can't pick Tribbles?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The Q are probably my favorite. Data is also an interesting entity with his pursuit to become more human.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    The Borg do not have a "Queen".
    Whatever. They lost their punch when it was established that they had a hierarchy.

Whatever. They lost their punch when it was established that they had a hierarchy.
    They do not have a hierarchy. The have units that perform a specialized function.

The problem with the Borg is that they only "grow" by assimilation but that only works up to a point. The Borg Queens attempt to address that problem by allowing the use of alternative strategies.

the borg!

they are pretty awesome, they have the borg cube, and lots of wires and techonology integrated into their bodies
    always thought they were pretty awesome, as well as sort of frightening

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    They do not have a hierarchy.
    They do. They have a "queen."

They do. They have a "queen."
    They don't. The Borg do not need Queens to function or even proceed under normal circumstances. Its something that's simply part of the hive mind.

But when something like Species 8472 comes knocking, normal Borg behavior does not work. A drone will sit there stabbing at the flesh of an 8472 space ship with its tubules and nothing happens.

A Borg Queen can at least potentially negotiate with someone who has a solution that can't be assimilated. Or create a special assimilation envoy like Locutus. Or allow a drone to have individuality for a time so it can bring back a different knowledge base to the collective. And so forth.
    Last edited by Ivanstone; 2017-07-06 at 12:40 AM.