Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    Like what? I mean like whole foods like unprocessed meat, fruit, vegetables obviously. But anything that goes through any kind of processing can be affected really.
    You have to be careful with things like frozen vegetables "in sauce." I was eating dinner with my parents (who had to carefully watch over my diet from since I was 2 years old when I developed celiac disease) and my mother had bought "frozen broccoli with butter sauce" and didn't think to check the ingredients. Luckily, I had an intuition to check the packaging before I ate any; sure enough, the "butter" part contained wheat as a thickener.

The same often goes for meats, fruits and so forth that are "seasoned" or "contain sauce." Hell, stores that sell whole roasted chickens often use modified food starch (which can contain wheat; often it isn't specified) on their chickens. Even sliced lunch meats that look straightforward can contain gluten.

I often tell my friends not to bother trying to make me food or find food that will accommodate me because it's more of a hassle for them. "Well it's just X..." (yogurt, tacos, a rice dish, etc, etc) usually contains a lot more under the surface than it would appear. And somewhere in there, it's likely that something can contain wheat.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2017-07-02 at 10:55 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

It does suck, but I think to advise the gluten-free even in products that don't carry wheat is actually aimed at individuals with the disease. Not quite the idiots who think gluten-free diet results in losing weight - the same typical individuals who are so gullible they'd fall off a cliff to get a healthy lifestyle... of being dead so no more worries of weight watching!

It's all down to cross-contamination because not every company will cater to a set audience, specific foods or even food groups. A factory dedicated to a gluten-free environment means no cross-contamination in any shape or form, thus will settle the minds of those sadly afflicted and no resorting to before eating a meal, checking the ingredients with a fine-tooth comb.

Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    It actually depends on the gravy used. I personally use "Ah Bisto Best" because it doesn't contain gluten.
    It doesn't have to have gluten, of course. Corn starch can thicken. I can make gravy with xanthan gum if I want, but "typical" gravy is thickened with flour.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I often tell my friends not to bother trying to make me food or find food that will accommodate me because it's more of a hassle for them. "Well it's just X..." (yogurt, tacos, a rice dish, etc, etc) usually contains a lot more under the surface than it would appear. And somewhere in there, it's likely that something can contain wheat.
    That was acutally what I was saying: anything that goes through some kind of processing can be contaminated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Let me clarify. Yes you have celiac disease. You need to eat gluten free. The vast majorty don't so any benifits they claim are bogus.
    Why does it matter what "they" claim? What significance does it have, to you, anyways? Why do you get triggered by something that doesn't even affect you at all? Are you feeling threatend by labelling on food packaging somehow?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I despise these "I eat organic, gluten-free, non-GMO only" people.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Eh? Claims like "it helps my kids adhd" along with other bogus things. Does it affect me? Can't say it does the only thing I can't eat is spicy stuff. Am I triggered by it? Sorta but thats because the vast majority of consumers are idiot's. I'm all for clear labelling that's not the issue I have. The issue I have is people claiming benefits that aren't there for most people. (I.E like the post I made about my friends wife earlier)
    But how is it the label's fault that people are idiots? There are idiots all over the place for any kinds of reasons. If you get triggered everytime, that's kinda stressful. Take a chill pill maybe?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I guess because they are willfully hurting themselves because after a while on a gluten-free diet, people with no allergy or intolerance to gluten WILL develop such an intolerance.
    Can you name any source for that claim? Unless you can prove it, I'd say this is just something someone with no education on the subject made up. Just because.

It's like back in the day and Y2K compliant. I saw a pair of jumper cables at Sears, identical to the ones on the shelf next to them, but they were Y2K compliant jumper cables, and cost 69.99 vs the 29.99 for the non Y2K compliant. It is mostly just a grab for money, taking advantage of a fad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Soul View Post
    This came to mind lol

It's a fad that needs to die down, its getting annoying. And gluten free tastes like crap compared to their counter part.
    Ill take it one step further,
    I bring to you, Fat water for those that want to put weight on, and Diet water for those that want to loose weight.

Coeliac disease is a real thing you know. Does it harm you in some way that products are made to accommodate them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Coeliac disease is a real thing you know. Does it harm you in some way that products are made to accommodate them?
    Yeah, it does. Your move.

I think people with such a disease should just learn what they can and cannot eat themselves. There are sure gluten-free products that do not require any labeling. Eat those if you are scared that other products might have traces of gluten that won't even harm you because of how insignificant they are, but scary nevertheless.

If I had such a disease I would do exactly the above, I do not trust labels anyway. Labels lie.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Yeah, it does. Your move.

I think people with such a disease should just learn what they can and cannot eat themselves. There are sure gluten-free products that do not require any labeling. Eat those if you are scared that other products might have traces of gluten that won't even harm you because of how insignificant they are, but scary nevertheless.

If I had such a disease I would do exactly the above, I do not trust labels anyway. Labels lie.
    It was a rhetorical question, it doesn't harm you in any way. You obviously have no clue what a bother coeliac disease can be, they do get sick from traces of gluten, their gut cant process it at all. Read up on the science before you make stupid statements like that.

To clarify, I don't have coeliac disease or even mild intolerance to gluten, but it doesn't hurt my sensibilities that there are alternatives for those less fortunate.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was a rhetorical question, it doesn't harm you in any way.
    But it does. I feel the pain each time I automatically face-palm myself when I see it on the packaging.
    You obviously have no clue what a bother coeliac disease can be, they do get sick from traces of gluten, their gut cant process it at all. Read up on the science before you make stupid statements like that.
    Obviously it's a matter of the amount of traces. If you eat a lot of the food with traces - the more you eat of it - the more traces you get. As with anything it's all in the amount of stuff you eat. Moderation, moderation, moderation.
    Most people don't even experience the bad symptoms at all, all they get is malnutrition, which can be dealt with. So even if you like the gluten food - you can still eat it with the disease if it doesn't hurt you physically.
    How do you think those with the disease lived before the discovery of Gluten-free foods? Just fine.
    To clarify, I don't have coeliac disease or even mild intolerance to gluten, but it doesn't hurt my sensibilities that there are alternatives for those less fortunate.
    Alternatives are fine, this is not the issue. it's the hysteria around it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    i tried gluten free pizza once, it tasted so bad i couldnt even eat one slice
    I think the only gluten free thing I've eaten and enjoyed were gluten free rice crackers. Tasted pretty much the same as the non gluten free variants from the same brand. The crackers were bigger too. Although the price was significantly higher..

On the flip side, the only other gluten free thing that I've eaten (and I thought I would have enjoyed) were gluten free pancakes from when my sister-in-law was going through a gluten free phase. My god. I think I'd rather eat pancakes flavoured with Listerine, tyvm.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

But it does. I feel the pain each time I automatically face-palm myself when I see it on the packaging.

Obviously it's a matter of the amount of traces. If you eat a lot of the food with traces - the more you eat of it - the more traces you get. As with anything it's all in the amount of stuff you eat. Moderation, moderation, moderation.
    Most people don't even experience the bad symptoms at all, all they get is malnutrition, which can be dealt with. So even if you like the gluten food - you can still eat it with the disease if it doesn't hurt you physically.
    How do you think those with the disease lived before the discovery of Gluten-free foods? Just fine.

Alternatives are fine, this is not the issue. it's the hysteria around it.
    "most people", you obviously have no clue. Any person with coeliac disease, not talking just intolerance, since they range from mild discomfort to retching, but people with coeliac, get sick fast and can stay sick for days, from trace amounts of gluten. It's a fact, you playing it down doesn't change anything. And sure, the human race survived an endless amount of ailments before we found ways to remedy them, does that mean we shouldn't take advantage of those remedies?

Having coeliac before it was discovered and easily diagnosed must've been hell for sure, how dare our modern society with blinding medical knowledge ease their pain.

If you're upset with hysteria around hipsters not eating gluten because they think it's bad for normal people with no intolerance towards gluten, go and attack them, lay off minimizing the very real people that appreciate the availability of gluten-free products relieving an otherwise frustrating everyday life. I'm sure you can survive the labels, and if you have to feel petty and angry about reading them, it's easy to keep to yourself. Once again, doesn't hurt you at all. Facepalming is not a worthy grievance. If it was I'm due some huge fucking settlements.
    Last edited by Shiny212; 2017-07-03 at 12:32 PM.

Around here products must have warnings about most allergens.

If you buy a box of eggs it says: Warning, contains eggs.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're upset with hysteria around hipsters not eating gluten because they think it's bad for normal people with no intolerance towards gluten, go and attack them
    Aw.. guess what this thread is about?

Aw.. guess what this thread is about?
    If your comments are any indication, reducing the plights of people with coeliac to a footnote because it's not your problem. If you take issue solely with said hipsters, you've done a lousy job at making that clear.

10+ Year Old Account
    If your comments are any indication, reducing the plights of people with coeliac to a footnote because it's not your problem..
    A small footnote will do just fine. After all people with the disease are not stupid they will look for it, right? It doesn't need to be in your face.
    Really why the nutritional values are so small font, there are a lot more fat people around than those who cannot consume gluten. Priorities.

Tons of idiots get caught up in fads. They don't understand them or try to they just know others follow them so of course they should too. So companies take advantage of these sheep and label to sucker them in. Sadly I am sure a few of these morons wonder why they have been drinking water loaded with gluten for years.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jrf773 View Post
    It's like back in the day and Y2K compliant. I saw a pair of jumper cables at Sears, identical to the ones on the shelf next to them, but they were Y2K compliant jumper cables, and cost 69.99 vs the 29.99 for the non Y2K compliant. It is mostly just a grab for money, taking advantage of a fad.
    Except a lot of them aren't more expensive.

For instance, I can't eat Pringles chips. They use wheat and malted barley. Lays Stacks, though, are a competitor, and they ARE gluten-free, and marked as such. And basically priced the same.

Things like gluten-free bread are more expensive, yes. It doesn't keep nearly as well as regular bread, and it's more difficult to make it. But for a lot of stuff, it's a simple "nope, we don't use gluten" and then they can include NCGS and Coeliac customers in their base, costing them basically nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

This just straight-up isn't true. For people with Coeliac, it's causing permanent damage to their intestinal tract. It can lead to massive health issues.

Even with NCGS, some people can get by okay and just suffer the consequences, but for instance, my NCGS is so severe that going undiagnosed for most of my life led to my gut suffering permanent damage, and my B12 absorption rate is almost nil. Since you sort of need B12 to live, I need to do monthly injections, probably for the rest of my life.

Before we understood what was going on, people suffered with these conditions, and occasionally died. Coeliac used to be treated with an all-banana diet, because it was one of the only things that they found that wouldn't trigger it. Once you go back that far, we're into times when people starved to death and malnutrition was relatively common, so identifying these specific conditions among that would be near-impossible, in specific detail, but pretending they didn't exist or didn't have an effect is just . . . wrong.