Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    It was poorly organized with no real leadership and didn't gain support from anything. Was mostly ignored by the media after the first initial protests as well.

They had valid points about wealth inequality, bail outs for corporations, and money in politics. They just never got anywhere more than protesting, which ended up being largely ignored.
    Yeah...they did...but when wealth runs the country full of braindead automatons who just do what they're told generally...what did they expect to accomplish?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    to mirror everyone else: Poor/no leadership, no real message beyond "we want money and think these other guys have too much so they should just give it to us!" and bullying the businesses around their protests made people sick of them fast.

and basically, they splintered into smaller tribal groups, which is what the democrat party wanted, small, targeted groups with exacting messages that they could claim they stand behind strategically to secure votes neighborhood by neighborhood(think the "there's an app for that" ad campaign, no matter what your cause, there is already a democrat you can support!) unfortunately, this led to identity politics gaining mass exposure, which cost them pretty much the entire race for... well everything. which has led to the current state of the party not really knowing what to do beyond throwing a tantrum and refusing to even come to the table because they lost and can't handle it.

They basically went from one large group without leadership or a message to a bunch of splinter cells with some leadership and mixed messages.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

It ran out of steam. An effective Occupy Wall Street would take a much larger, concerted effort, and long term buy in.... and the short term results would be very unappealing to most Americans, so it's not going to happen anytime soon.

As long as people are sold on the fact that retirement money should be heavily invested in a somewhat volatile environment, you aren't going to see any significant change in wall street.

Same thing that happened with kony2012
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Deleted
    It was ridiculed by the big media and only documentary makers ever really did something with it. There where no real leaders of the group that is true, but it never really had a chance to begin with.

To the people who think that it is just a bunch of people wanting other peoples money i will say this. It has been proven that "trickle down economics" is as much a fantasy as Santa Claus. It wasn't about people having more money and total wealth distribution, i do not think anyone is claiming that everyone should be payed equally. But this is a strawman that is always there and people actually believe it to be the truth.
    Part of the definition of slavery is a condition of having to work very hard without proper remuneration or appreciation, so by this measure anything that isn't a livable wage is slavery.

Deleted
    Incompetent leadership.

Among them, the most relevant being: a PhD in philosophy (focused on civic movements) with a degree from an unaccredited Belgian university who thought they could score in the academic world with a book on such an occasion; a megalomaniacal transgender computer scientist who created the movement's website and eventually went rogue because "they were being harassed by misogynistic protesters", and a chimp who took the media attention he received into popularity for movements such as Occupy Weed Street (here's the chimp https://youtu.be/s6Hz58OKFeY ).

Hope this helps.

Incompetent leadership; too many absurdly stupid and incoherent messages. The crimes committed by these people didn't help either.

Where are these people now? As someone else pointed out, just look at the other groups you mentioned. That's where they reside. And yes, BLM is going to end up the same way for the same reasons.

No need for hindsight on OWS; it was a turd from the very beginning.

A bunch of SJWs got involved, co-opted the message to an extent, and then the media focused on them with a bunch of interviews of the weird ones as a way of de-legitimizing the movement. What OWS taught me is don't let SWJs into your group, or the media will paint it as if your group is entirely made up of the loons.

It was undermined by all levels of "the establishment" from corporate media criticizing it on the right, and ignoring it on the left. Beat down by the police who used security systems, infiltration/surveillance tactics intended to be used against actual terrorism.

It was literally the Standing Rock/DAPL protests a few years before the youtube podcast news (tyt and the like) and the ability to stream/upload video media and reach a wide audience outside of the cable tv news narrative.
    Last edited by Glnger; 2017-07-04 at 11:38 PM.
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

Quote Originally Posted by Yat-Yas View Post
    Often I hear things about BLM protests, organized Pride events, Feminist rallies, and more, but Occupy Wall Street seems to have vanished. When I searched YouTube on the topic, the only recent uploads were seemingly old videos of Ben Shapiro and topless women protesters. Their website hasn't even posted any news since February. I often wonder if "divide and conquer" tactics were used to separate the supposed "99%" into smaller groups based on gender, sex, sexuality, race, etc for easier control by the government. Is that no more than a conspiracy or did the Occupy Wall Street just disperse because it wasn't effective or because people opted to focus in on issues that affected them more as individuals?

What do you guys think happened to Occupy Wall Street and what are your opinions of it in hindsight?
    Well you see their problem is that they could never actually gain anything from anything they were doing other than someone mentioning something to get them to vote for them.

They were a bunch of fake hippies who bitched about corporations while using macs and iphones made by slave labor.

Maybe if they weren't such hypocrites they could have changed some things.
    Last edited by matt4pack; 2017-07-04 at 11:41 PM.

They fixed capitalism and now everything is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    Let us know when slavery occurs again in the US! I wouldn't want to miss it.
    Well...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penal_..._United_States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    They were a bunch of fake hippies who bitched about corporations while using macs and iphones made by slave labor.

Maybe if they weren't such hypocrites they could have changed some things.
    I think it had more to do with the fact that Obama was heavily funded by wall street, so he allowed a coordinated multi-state crackdown on the occupy protesters.

How was is hypocritical to protest against the massive bank bailouts? The economy was devastated and nobody ended up in prison.

Occupy had 1000x more substance than the idiotic SJW identity politics that is now pushed to keep people distracted.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Same thing that happened with kony2012
    That was just a scam to steal stupid people's money. I don't think Occupy Wallstreet ever had enough organization to even take money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    That was just a scam to steal stupid people's money. I don't think Occupy Wallstreet ever had enough organization to even take money.
    It was all a front for Big T-Shirt.

They probably sold a lot of 99% shirts made in sweatshops in Vietnam.

While you have idiots talking about how they got bored and wanted to spend other peoples money, that is all they are doing is thinking it and refusing to look at the evidence and are basically willful idiots.

What happened to OWS is a few things.

1) Lack of leadership and a coherent message between the group lead to splintering.

2) The media gave it the "The Bernie Sanders Treatment" when it came to the news coverage they refused to even talk about it if they could and the few times they did it was to bash it. And then when it came to interviews they ignored anyone with a brain and targeted the Jerry Springer members in the group and tried to paint them all in that light rather than reality.

3) The police actively worked against it while the media pulled another "Dakota Pipeline" where the police heavily abused their power and attacked them while the media refused to do their jobs.

The end result was the movement itself was squashed directly with its members dispersing into other groups. And the Democratic party actively acted like they wanted to support them and then repeatedly turned their back on them after they didn't need the support anymore and actively worked against them and their interests during the primaries only paying them lip service.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Basically it was just a "You guys make money and we don't so we are going to sit outside and whine" group. They didn't know what they really wanted or goal that was realistic.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They realised they were fighting a losing (albeit idiotic) battle. At least they were smart enough to eventually stop. The same thing can't be said for the other idiotic protest groups still plaguing the World atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    This movement was an attempt to peacefully take back our government. It's the kind of thing that happens before people that have been repeatedly wronged over generations finally say: "Well, we gave them one last chance to do the right thing."

Now I suspect that things will get far, far worse and bloodshed will be the only solution. People will ultimately only take so much. The anger that voted Trump in was misguided and foolish, but the anger is real. There's a whole lot of people who are wondering when they get cut a break or when they might merit a bailout. Instead, they literally voted in the exact people that will escalate this even more quickly by screwing them even harder. I honestly have no idea how anyone justified a vote for this conman to themselves.

I'm not that young. I am reasonably comfortable. I have no children. I basically don't give a damn what stupid shit some of you do to yourselves. I just shake my head and wonder how you can be that stupid. But I've been wondering how some of you walk and chew gum at the same time for years.

It's too bad it has come to this.
    The same kind of people that try and justify voting for a conwoman. It's ludicrous to me that people actually believe Hillary would have changed anything... Republicans and Democrats are 2 sides of the same corporate run coin, they only have elections to allow people the illusion of choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinningMan View Post
    And only the ignorant and poor are into redistribution of wealth.

Everything is fine and dandy right up until you run out of the money of other people.
    Interesting a system you rely on built by people who or cheated in the first place complain it's being theirs all along.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis