Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    Yes, I found out what it is after I learned that he meant mental conditioning. That works on kids to some extent, yes. It's not brainwashing though as brainwashing is about changing someones established beliefs to something radically different than what they originally believed, kids have no established beliefs and as such are malleable in which case you can influence their beliefs heavily.

I doubt you could condition a human to kill for a cause through that though, killing is a fairly complex behavior. It's fairly hard to influence humans into a specific behavior through this. Most of them are involuntary learned responses, such as teachers hearing the bells ring after a class is over and they feel they need to go the bathroom, because that's when they have time to do it or people who feel an urgent need to get to the bathroom as they're approaching their home and take their keys out, the sound of the keys triggers the response.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2017-07-04 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Religion isn't brainwashing,
    Yes it is. They tell a child that they better believe or they'll burn in hell for eternity and never see their loved ones again. A child isn't mature enough to know better, they just believe what their parents tell them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Yes it is. They tell a child that they better believe or they'll burn in hell for eternity and never see their loved ones again. A child isn't mature enough to know better, they just believe what their parents tell them.
    No, it isn't. I was raised a christian, I am not christian now.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Yes, as an adult you can learn and make informed choices. Not talking about adults, talking about kids like the one this thread is about.

Yes, as an adult you can learn and make informed choices. Not talking about adults, talking about kids like the one this thread is about.
    I abandoned christianity before adulthood.

10+ Year Old Account
    And if someone says behead a person who is begging for their life or that someone is going to rape or slowly kill your 2 year old baby sister, would you do it? You are 10 years old in this scenario btw.

This is a disgusting and extreme example and I wish it wasn't true but some of the accounts from ISIS captives are heinous beyond description. It's not hard to imagine how they can utterly mentally break a child into doing literally whatever is asked of him, including sacrificing themselves.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

And if someone says behead a person who is begging for their life or that someone is going to rape or slowly kill your 2 year old baby sister, would you do it? You are 10 years old in this scenario btw.

This is a disgusting and extreme example and I wish it wasn't true but some of the accounts from ISIS captives are heinous beyond description. It's not hard to imagine how they can utterly mentally break a child into doing literally whatever is asked of him, including sacrificing themselves.
    If I didn't know any better? Yes, because I was gullible and naive at that age and believed everything my parents said. You don't even need to break someone to get kids to do shit, you just need to convince them it's the right thing to do or that it has to be done or x bad thing happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I didn't know any better? Yes, because I was gullible and naive at that age and believed everything my parents said. You don't even need to break someone to get kids to do shit, you just need to convince them it's the right thing to do or that it has to be done or x bad thing happens.
    And that's what brainwashing is. These kids, even when grown up, will unquestioningly obey the person who broke them due to repepetive conditioning using the ultimate stimuli, which is so indescribably horrifying I had to stop reading these accounts because it was literally making me depressed.

When you are an adult, you can make an informed decision and you are arguably strong enough to resist even severe mental trauma. There are doctors and therapists working with kids who managed to escape but even they are admitting that it's an incredibly hard task trying to rehabilitate them because of the horrors they have seen and experienced.

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

And that's what brainwashing is. These kids, even when grown up, will unquestioningly obey the person who broke them due to repepetive conditioning using the ultimate stimuli, which is so indescribably horrifying I had to stop reading these accounts because it was literally making me depressed.

There are doctors and therapists working with kids who managed to escape but even they are admitting that it's an incredibly hard task trying to rehabilitate them because of the horrors they have seen and experienced.
    That's not what brainwashing is though... I could get my 8 year old cousin to kick an old man on the leg because he's a fucking pervert and deserves it relatively easy. Kids are stupid, gullible and naive and susceptible to influence from older people they rely upon or their peers. Brainwashing is about forcing someone to adopt radically different beliefs than they originally had, a child doesn't have any beliefs really, they believe what their parents or other people they rely upon tell them. So, you can't really brainwash a child as they have no beliefs to change in the first place even if brainwashing was a thing.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    Lately I see a lot of bad news coming from Canada... What's going on there? Tennis also recently wrote how they filter out immigrants by only taking the ones with highest education etc. Feel very disappointed lately by Canada.
    Canada's immigration policy has remained unchanged, it's Trudeau's refugee policy that has been the biggest problem. Canadians don't care about virtue signaling, just like they don't care if the government accepts well educated immigrants. We care about having to foot the bill for refugees who should be sent home as soon as ISIS is wiped off the map and Assad is dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not what brainwashing is though... I could get my 8 year old cousin to kick an old man on the leg because he's a fucking pervert and deserves it relatively easy. Kids are stupid, gullible and naive and susceptible to influence from older people they rely upon or their peers. Brainwashing is about forcing someone to adopt radically different beliefs than they originally had, a child doesn't have any beliefs really, they believe what their parents or other people they rely upon tell them. So, you can't really brainwash a child as they have no beliefs to change in the first place even if brainwashing was a thing.
    Your cousin is all grown up, can you still get him to kick a random old stranger?

Your cousin is all grown up, can you still get him to kick a random old stranger?
    Probably not provided the parents raise them right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably not provided the parents raise them right.
    Okay, then I'd like you to think about the difference between the child from my earlier example, and your cousin. Your cousin would probably ask whether you are insane if you asked him to kick someone, that child now a grown man would probably not bat an eyelid to do something insane when asked to.

Okay, then I'd like you to think about the difference between the child from my earlier example, and your cousin. Your cousin would probably ask whether you are insane if you asked him to kick someone, that child now a grown man would probably not bat an eyelid to do something insane when asked to.
    Because of how they were raised. Not brainwashing. Classical conditioning as mentioned earlier cannot cause such a complex behavior such as killing someone for being an infidel. It makes you associate certain stimuli with certain things, bells with food, key from your pocket when you're going to unlock your apartment door making sound making you feel an urge to go the bathroom and such things.

Not I kill these people because they're infidels. That's basically sci-fi level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because of how they were raised. Not brainwashing. Classical conditioning as mentioned earlier cannot cause such a complex behavior such as killing someone for being an infidel. It makes you associate certain stimuli with certain things, bells with food, key from your pocket when you're going to unlock your apartment door making sound making you feel an urge to go the bathroom and such things.

Not I kill these people because they're infidels. That's basically sci-fi level.
    There is also:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning

This seems like a multi-page argument about semantics.

Yes, which relates to child rearing. It basically IS what child rearing is about, desired behavior is rewarded, undesired is punished.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Canada's immigration policy has remained unchanged, it's Trudeau's refugee policy that has been the biggest problem. Canadians don't care about virtue signaling, just like they don't care if the government accepts well educated immigrants. We care about having to foot the bill for refugees who should be sent home as soon as ISIS is wiped off the map and Assad is dead.
    Thought so... all German right wing parties take Canadas immigration program as their idol. Very bad imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    He says he won't wage jihad anymore.
    Pssh he doesn't have to if he's got 10 million dollars. He could buy his former colleagues assloads of guns or just retire to the Bahamas. Hard to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

And welcome to why ignoring rights is a fucking insane idea. You can't take a 15 year old, lock them away in a prison with no means of appeal, torture a confession out of them, and then expect nothing to come of it.

Glad he got the money. The US, Canada, and anyone else using Guantanamo Bay are guilty of war crimes. Unfortunately, there's no one to hold them accountable for their actions.

This is one of the reasons it's an absolute joke that the US is trying to play world police while bring a criminal at the same time.
    What about all the 15year olds in ms13 and Latin kings? Are they innocent? Should we release them knowing they murderd ten people by age 15 as well as using drugs? Kids will do what their instructed to do. I can point out to Kony and light of army or whatever it's called and all the child soldiers who have killed families. How about the 15year old Cubans in Vietnam or in Africa shooting those who were against the communist movement should they be free because they were kids? Being a child means nothing if their used as a weapon. Chances are that kid is so brainwashed that he could be pleading mercy only became he saw an opportunity to get out.