Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    great news! thanks for sharing)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Most cities in Europe aren't at -20, a few maybe but not most

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...re-january.php

Since you are using Celsius I am going to assume we are talking about europe and not Fahrenheit / US
    Sorry for russian, but that's factual temperature from december 2016 from my area. I wouldn't call -20 as something extreme fictional since i (and half of the country i live in) deal with these temperatures every year

https://www.gismeteo.ru/diary/4565/2016/12/
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I walk to get my groceries. I'm clean.
    Who the fuck cares what you do?

ANYONE going to the grocery store in a vehicle MUST use one that has ten trillion horsepower!!!!!!!!!! Those "weak" electric vehicles just won't suffice for any pedestrian, normal, everyday use of a vehicle. According to you, that is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    I like driving on a tracks. I see no reason why not, it's a hobby.
    And, again, so fucking what? Who gives a shit what you do in relation to the discussion at hand?

So you like to destroy the environment for fun. Bully for you.

Deleted
    My next car is going to be electric, regardless of their shortcomings.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I don't understand why people are so against electric when it's demonstrably better in all aspects except refill time.
    I suspect it is not unrelated to the fact that Europe and Japan leapt headfirst into electric car tech while Detroit decided to just bad-mouth it instead. Add pre-existing notions of the superiority of American cars and you can see stateside reluctance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Or a bunch of enthusiasts that enjoy the sound and feeling of an ICE.
    That bit I could never understood. Maybe because I've grown up around noisy Eastern Bloc cars? For whatever reason, I've always felt that a good car must feel effortless and therefore must be quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Several cities will have such temperatures throughout the year. It may only be for a few days but still, it will happen. Heck I think this year all of Europe had cities record -20 C at some point and in many places for more than a week.

I understand that you can plan around things but placing restrictions on use certainly devalues a product. It IS a problem that you cannot drive the Tesla for long distances without significant planning. And probably even with planning there are regions you won't be able to drive it through due to lack of support, particularly rural frontiers.
    ANd their is you're problem ''I think'' without looking it and just making it assumptions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Sorry for russian, but that's factual temperature from december 2016 from my area. I wouldn't call -20 as something extreme fictional since i (and half of the country i live in) deal with these temperatures every year

You didn't disprove anything, again you lot are talking about the minority of the minority

And like if a regular engine works better during those cold periods...

There's nothing good coming from these electric cars. It's a dead end.
    Someone preserve this one for posterity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Oh please, Volvo is just trying to cash in on the fad.
    Well, they are a business. They are supposed to do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post

And like if a regular engine works better during those cold periods...
    Yes, it does. It's kind wonky at -40°C but it works fine at -20°C...
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post

I bet Lada Nivas still handle those temperatures just fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Electric cars really aren't much "greener" than traditional cars.

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/teslas...t-green-think/

It's mostly just hype to sell cars to idiot SJWs. Plus you look like a puss driving one.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    I bet that you will drive an electric car on a daily basis within twenty years time.
    I haven't owned a car for over 15 years now. There's no need. I'm clean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Well, they are a business. They are supposed to do that.
    I didn't judge them
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephire View Post
    Why would that be so? Surely something good will come from it.
    For Volvo, maybe. A better way of clean transportation will be invented long before electric tanks and the infrastructure needed for them become mainstream.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

They are cleaner than cars. Cleaner than horses is only walking.
    Buy a fucking bycicle. Cleaner than cars, cleaner than horses, more efficient than horses for basic travel, and as a bonus, could maybe put a dent in the whole obesity epidemic america has going on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Buy a fucking bycicle. Cleaner than cars, cleaner than horses, more efficient than horses for basic travel, and as a bonus, could maybe put a dent in the whole obesity epidemic america has going on.
    Bicycle is not cleaner than a horse. You need oil for it to operate. You know as a lubricant for bearings and the chain. Not to mention metallurgy, plastics... you get the drill. Also when you ride a bicycle you produce more CO2 than just walking or riding a horse.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    The combustion engine is ancient and would have been replaced long ago if it wasn't for greedy car companies hindering innovation and progress intentionally. The only reason we're not driving vastly superior electric cars already is because we've only just recently begun developing them for real.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slaskel View Post
    The combustion engine is ancient and would have been replaced long ago if it wasn't for greedy car companies hindering innovation and progress intentionally. The only reason we're not driving vastly superior electric cars already is because we've only just recently begun developing them for real.
    Electric engines are widely used for public transportation since invention of electric engines, I dunno, at least 50 years. It's the only efficient way to use electric engines as transportation. Instead of putting heavy batteries (that need recharging) in each vehicle you build electric lines along the roads - and public transport is attached to these lines at all times, drawing electricity from the city's energy grid directly.

One of the biggest reasons for switching to electric is that the onboard navigational systems and computers required to operate self driving cars mean more robust electrical draw on top of the usual amenities.

Doesn't matter. Volvo has phased itself out of everyone's interest long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by slaskel View Post
    Electrical engines aren't much younger then combustion engines.

We don't see them used because current fossil-based fuels have much better energy density.

And as far as i'm aware they still do despite all advances in batteries.

Judging by how "higher energy density batteries" fare in smartphones, i would expect first higher-energy car batteries to explode from light tapping.
    Last edited by Shalcker; 2017-07-06 at 03:02 PM.

Electric engines are widely used for public transportation since invention of electric engines, I dunno, at least 50 years. It's the only efficient way to use electric engines as transportation. Instead of putting heavy batteries (that need recharging) in each vehicle you build electric lines along the roads - and public transport is attached to these lines at all times, drawing electricity from the city's energy grid directly.
    If you don't believe Big oil colluded to keep the internal combustion engine you should watch "who killed the electric car" at every step of this development there have been hindrances and pushes to keep cars with the same engine. It took someone with resources like Elon Musk to actually make them a reality. The other car companies will follow along reluctantly but this should have happened 50 years ago and would have with proper RnD flowing into them.

The range will continue to increase, they are much cheaper to maintain and much cheaper to run. In 20 years this archaic piece of technology will finally be in the hands of hobbyists and them alone where it belongs.