Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

44% of Americans know someone whos been shot.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2017/...hip-with-guns/

44% of U.S. adults say they personally know someone who has been shot, either accidentally or intentionally, and about a quarter (23%) say they or someone in their family have been threatened or intimidated by someone using a gun.

Yo OT, if you are a 'merican do you know someone who has been shot?

I'm from the UK and the only person I know what has been shot is my Grandad in WW2. Other than that, nudda.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    I'm from the UK and the only person I know what has been shot is my Grandad in WW2. Other than that, nudda.
    So in your online survey so far, 100% of the interviewed (you) claim that they know someone who's been shot.

That's really a lot!

I had a teacher in the 7th grade who got shot in the hand by a BB gun, does that count? Otherwise I can't think of a single person I know who's been shot or even shot at, but I'm also not exactly a friendly guy, so my pool of associates is limited.

44% of U.S. adults say they personally know someone who has been shot, either accidentally or intentionally, and about a quarter (23%) say they or someone in their family have been threatened or intimidated by someone using a gun.

On the other hand, being european there isnt a single fucking person that doesnt know at least 1 person who has been stabbed

This is specially true for brits ironically.

Is this a subtle way to say "Americans have a gun issue by their permissive legislation"?

I live in Brazil. We have very strict gun legislation.

I know several people who been either shot or threatned with a firearm, despite the fact we cannot legally buy guns without going through arbitrary and expensive steps.

I've been robbed at gunpoint, too. Just a couple steps from where I live. And no, it's not a "tough part of town".

I find that stat unlikely. I mean even my grandfather after serving in WW2 and serving as a police officer after that was never once shot that I am aware of. I suppose there probably are a lot of people that have served in various war zones etc. that have been shot so I guess it shouldn't be that surprising, but in that context it also isn't that big of a deal either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalBany View Post
    On the other hand, being european there isnt a single fucking person that doesnt know at least 1 person who has been stabbed

i dont know anyone like that

Deleted

Yeah well, we have a saying in Germany: "Traue keiner Statistik, die du nicht selbst gefälscht hast."

Roughly translates to: "Don't trust any survey you haven't falsified yourself." Or something like that.

You get the point.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was shot at once. The sound of a bullet flying over your head is not something you will ever forget.

I pissed myself. Im not even going to lie. I literally pissed myself and cried and ran like forest gump just ingested 12 grams of meth. I was 17 at the time. I remember my mom asking why I was crying like a little bitch, then I told her what happened and she felt bad for me. She wanted to call the cops, but it was my fault so we didnt. I should not have been trespassing.

I was in the military, I know a lot of people that have been shot. And by way of me, my friends and family know a lot of people that have been shot too.

You don't need to play 6 degree of Kevin Bacon to find someone who has been shot, it just takes a little common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    I was shot at once. The sound of a bullet flying over your head is not something you will ever forget.

I pissed myself. Im not even going to lie. I literally pissed myself and cried and ran like forest gump just ingested 12 grams of meth. I was 17 at the time. I remember my mom asking why I was crying like a little bitch, then I told her what happened and she felt bad for me. She wanted to call the cops, but it was my fault so we didnt. I should not have been trespassing.
    What exactly were you doing while trespassing to be almost murdered?

I'm from the u.s and same here my grandfather in ww2 nearly got shot by a bazooka. Thankfully do to smart thinking he spot the person before they could do it.
    My other grandfather survived a bomb blast planted on a porch in Cuba. Let's just say the communist hated him and anyone who was against the movement.
    My great grand mother in Cuba I belive shot a thief trying to break into her house. Funny but true.
    Otherwise nobody here I know personally has been shot at.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dream View Post
    i dont know anyone like that
    well i guess this whole thread is pointless then

If you lived in the US, then, you'd be part of the 44%.Doesn't sound so strange now, does it?
    Dude 1 uses racial slur towards white people. (no infraction)
    Dude 2 asks Dude 1 why he is so racist towards white people. (infraction)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    What exactly were you doing while trespassing to be almost murdered?
    Old house farm had a barn. We were sneaking around his property because there were "stories" about how the guys barn was haunted. It wasnt haunted, he stored a couple of really old nice cars there. Then we heard his door open and we bolted out the back of the barn. The guy shot a few times at us and I started running like the flash with piss running down my legs.

I can still remember how my heart felt beating in my chest. I have never been that scared again. Fearing for you life is . . . . "something else".

Deleted
    Damn you mericans are precious I just wanted to hear some cool people getting shot stories.

My Grandad was dutch resistance, his dad was a jew. Got rounded up and thrown on a train going to a camp, escaped the train but was shot while running away. Got a cool scar on his leg, and one on the side of his head. Hid in a barn, farmer helped him out. Joined the dutch resistance after that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalBany View Post

I actually don't know anyone thats been stabbed :\

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggle View Post
    I actually don't know anyone thats been stabbed :\
    Me niether and im from Croydon. #ghettolife #dontgotowestcroydonatnight

10+ Year Old Account

Or at minimum know a person who has had a gun pulled on them.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Friend of mines brother got shot in the shoulder by a bb gun near Hexham. Hit his bag strap though.