Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love all the people who got all dickhard over the thought of someones "caffinee addiction"

Like, if you look down on someone because they drink caffeinated beverages you're a bit of a retard lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    Yea but this isn't withdrawal. Caffeine boosts your metabolism, suppresses sleep and stimulates you so once you get off it, well it's kinda like how you feel crappy and achy fr a few days after a workout. So it's more like a hangover, or when you eat too much, not withdrawal.

For example back in high school I used to smoke for 6 months and when I stopped, it wasn't just the physical symptoms, for 2 weeks, all I could think of was lighting a cigarette and how good it would feel. I still miss it sometimes even though its been 5 years. With coffee however. Yea, I get those symptoms for like a day, and often can't even identify it's because of not having coffee.. I never crave it.
    While I'm normally not a fan of webmd, this statement regarding caffeine is fairly accurate:

This one has some truth to it, depending on what you mean by "addictive." Caffeine is a stimulant to the central nervous system, and regular use of caffeine does cause mild physical dependence. But caffeine doesn't threaten your physical, social, or economic health the way addictive drugs do.
    Taken from http://www.webmd.com/diet/caffeine-myths-and-facts.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    Anything that causes withdrawal symptoms when you don't have it is addicting. Caffeine is no exception. Hell sugar can do this too.
    Sugar is one of the most addictive substances out there and is contributing to a whole load of health problems in modern society, especially in the younger generation.

Sugar is no fucking joke. The fact it's not being massively fought against yet like Tobacco etc. is an absolute societal disgrace. Especially with everyone dying of heart attacks and the massive rise of diabetes.

Also Caffeine is addictive, lol to whoever said it wasn't.

Just it doesn't cause serious withdrawal symptoms so it's not a big deal.
    Last edited by Radaney; 2017-07-08 at 03:53 PM.

This is not true, you can't get addicted to caffeine. Also, coffee is actually really good for you unless you drink like 10 cups a day. I don't see any reason not to drink it.
    This is 100% untrue. Caffeine is a legit addiction, complete with withdrawal symptoms that make you feel like shit for a couple of days. It's not a life-threatening addiction like heroine, of course, but it's still an addiction.

You should really google before you make spurious claims.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

15+ Year Old Account
    With coffee however. Yea, I get those symptoms for like a day, and often can't even identify it's because of not having coffee.. I never crave it.
    You don't crave it because you aren't a caffeine addict. Caffeine addiction is a very real thing, there have been studies about it going back years now. The recommended safe intake of caffeine per day is 400mg which is 4 cups of coffee or roughly 10 sodas(pop/cola/coke/whatever you call it). That's daily, so tell me how your one cup of coffee in the morning and I'm guessing 2 sodas throughout the day are affecting you?

You are probably not the only one finding it weird to see people drinking coffee in the morning, but that's mainly because you can always find anyone sharing a specific opinion in the world. You're still in the small minority and it's still a pretty dumb thing to feel weirded by.
    Taking coffee in the morning is a VERY common routine, and it has very little (if at all) to do with actual need of caffeine, and much more to do with the psychological pleasure of drinking coffee (or simple entranched routine habit).

I LOVE coffee, and drinking a coffee in the morning, while enjoying the quiet, is one of my great pleasure in life.
    (and I can do without just fine, I don't take on during workday because there is no pleasure in gulping one down in a hurry before going to work for example)

As for people talking about addiction : it's technically true, but it's still pretty dumb and pointless to talk about it, as it's not like all addictions are on the same level, and caffeine addiction is a pretty mild one. It's not what most people think of when speaking about "addiction", which is something that really hampers your life and threaten your health.
    Last edited by Akka; 2017-07-08 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    This is 100% untrue. Caffeine is a legit addiction,
    Well - I'm super human then, because it isn't addictive to me at all.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

7+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't cause withdrawal symptoms actually. Caffeine suppresses sleep so once you stop drinking it, it just comes back and you get really tired.. but once you sleep for a good 10 hours, there are no more symptoms. You don't crave it or anything.
    Of course it does. You can get more than a week worth of spams and shakings. Caffeine is a psycoactive drug and like most of it's kind you get withdrawl effects.

Now, is it addictive? Well it depends on what definition for "addiction" you use. It's kind of a controversy, even in academia. But biologically you experience all the symptoms of an addictive drug.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    You're probably just tolerant to it's effects.

I'm taking caffeine pills everyday, 420mg. If I suddenly stop before the 15 days cycle ends I will get a ton of withdrawal effects. At 15 days at most it get headaches. After 20 days I fell nothing, but then it will take longer before I can start another cycle.
    Last edited by Nerdgasm; 2017-07-08 at 04:06 PM.

Lots of denial in this thread.

It is additive as hell. But most things are in one form or another. So it isn't that big of a deal. As for people at certain ages drinking certain things being strange? Not to sure about that. I mean I don't judge people by what they drink as long as it doesn't cause them to hurt others around them. If the coffee is causing them to do that then shame on them for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't cause withdrawal symptoms actually. Caffeine suppresses sleep so once you stop drinking it, it just comes back and you get really tired.. but once you sleep for a good 10 hours, there are no more symptoms. You don't crave it or anything.
    Physical dependence can be a side effect of high-caffeine consumption.

It's not really weird.

I drink coffee in the morning because my girlfriend wants to get it when she wakes up.
    I'm 25, I go to bed at 11PM sometimes and wake up at 4:30AM for work, and I'm just fine without it until after work. Even then, I've switched to decaf recently just because.

It's almost like some people just enjoy the taste.

This is not true, you can't get addicted to caffeine. Also, coffee is actually really good for you unless you drink like 10 cups a day. I don't see any reason not to drink it.
    Caffeine increases dopamine... it has a similar effect to say a dopamine reuptake inhibitor... aka like ADHD medication, which is addictive. For a person with ADHD coffee may not be as addictive because of the lack of dopamine present in the brain; however, in a normal person with normal levels it sure as hell can be.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Everyone is different,boss. I've known someone who quit a 20 year cigarette habit cold turkey and never broke a sweat, but there is no reason to believe everyone can do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love coffee though give me two espressos and I'm like a coked up hamster

"Am I the only one that..."
    No. There are a LOT of people in the world. It's highly unlikely you're the only one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Lots of denial in this thread.

It is additive as hell. But most things are in one form or another. So it isn't that big of a deal. As for people at certain ages drinking certain things being strange? Not to sure about that. I mean I don't judge people by what they drink as long as it doesn't cause them to hurt others around them. If the coffee is causing them to do that then shame on them for sure.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine_dependence

//Caffeine addiction, or a pathological and compulsive form of use, has not been documented in humans.//

Stop making stuff up, m'kay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    You people make the weirdest topics and wonder for the weirdest reasons.

I drink coffee with my breakfast since I was 16 or so....others drink milk, others tea. Now...if somebody would have a beer for breakfast...then I wonder
    What's wrong with beer and pancakes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triforcewolf View Post
    Drinking coffee in the morning when you're still in your 20s?

I have a couple friends who always talk about drinking coffee in the morning and I just can't help but think how weird that is. They're about my age 24-26. Shouldn't someone that age be able to function in the morning without coffee? I don't know, I'm 26 and I'm able to go to bed at 2, wake up at 9 for work, skip breakfast, and go about my day with enough energy to last throughout the day. Just seems like they are becoming dependent on coffee rather than just drinking it because they enjoy it. Which is what I imagine most coffee drinkers are like.

I don't care that they do I'm just wondering if I was the only one who thought this way. Just seems weird to me. Whenever they talk about it it feels like I'm friends with a couple of 50 year olds.
    lol! Dude the norm is to drink coffee. If anything the person not drinking coffee is the one standing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Triforcewolf View Post
    I don't care that they do I'm just wondering if I was the only one who thought this way. Just seems weird to me. Whenever they talk about it it feels like I'm friends with a couple of 50 year olds.
    I think it's weird af that you associate coffee drinking with being your 50s. Most of my friends started drinking coffee in high school or college at the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgasm View Post
    You're probably just tolerant to it's effects.
    If one can become tolerant to both the effects of taking something and of stopping taking it ... it sort of isn't addictive then is it.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.