Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Echoherb View Post
    A lot of the rushing through dungeons mentality comes from people being used to mythics where there's a timer. The game trains you to rush through dungeons.
    Lolno, it's the other way around, Mythic have been created BECAUSE people rush.

People ALWAYS rushed in dungeon, even back in vanilla (Startholm 45 anyone?), that's what happen when the content is too easy, and you have to do it again and again and again.

Why wast time and going slow when you crush the thing and have done it dozens of time already?

If only blizzard had focused on the "hard" side of dungeon, by making every pack a challenge that ask you to use CC (hey, remember thos?) and careful pull instead of the pack'n'aoe we got now... but sadly that's not the case.
    So yeah, I'll blame blizzard on that one, they streamlined the dungeon to make them rushable, so OF COURSE people are rushing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Echoherb View Post
    What's with these hyperbolic negative posts? If you think it's this bad then why don't you go play something else.
    It's not "hyperbolic" it's pointing out flaws within the system and how it could be improved. What's wrong with the concept players should be incentivized to tackle content appropriate to their gear and skill levels instead of content they overgear by miles and presents no challenge or engaging gameplay?

If you don't like reading people's opinions why are you even on a forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    I wouldn't say so. They could make the dungeons harder so you can't actually pull so many without wiping.
    They really cannot. Players will eventually out gear them.

The only way they can do that is to scale the dungeon with the gear level. And if they do that, they need to reward the players appropriately.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I can practically solo heroics as dps with current gear. I'm not gonna pull what I know I'll die to without the tank. I'm also not going to vote kick you for not keeping up with me, so I expect you not to vote kick me for making the run go faster.

Low level dungeons is usually the same situation, depending on the class you're playing and your heirlooms.

I don't have the slightest problem with the current mentality, which by the way has been this way since wrath (and arguably late BC and vanilla too if you had high end gear) when dungeons started to not need cc or even half as much coordination you needed for a raid. Besides the first few weeks of an expansion, heroics are an absolute joke and can be blasted through, so why would you not do that? It's not stopping you from experiencing the lore if you want to either, unless you're just not paying attention while playing.

If new players don't like this, that's fine. There's a lot of other games out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's just a product of the time. Players were younger in vanilla and had more free time. Now those same people work and only have some much free time, coupled with having more responsibilities. Entirely possible it's just me though.

Everyone goes fast because some how blizzard decided that the top 1% of players need content faster.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by Sinew View Post
    If new players don't like this, that's fine. There's a lot of other games out there.
    That's a pretty big problem tho.
    Let's be real, the low level dungeon experience is just completely ruined for new player now.
    You pop in, with a bunch of people who already know the dungeon and can individually solo it and rush forward. It's just a terrible experience, and telling them that "if they aren't happy they can leave" is pretty stupid and harmful to the game as a whole.

Because they are right to be unhappy with the dungeons, as we all should. They are shit.

The constant xp squeesh ruined the low level leveling (ie you start the zone red and get it grey halfwaytrought, without any heirloom), the heirloom ruined the dungeon, right now low level wow isn't fun, and there's no reason for that to be acceptable.

Boosting to 100 should be free to all players with a hero level max. If you just want to get a new class max to play end game content, fine there's no reason to force you to do AGAIN all the previous xpac, there's no reason to make you pay an insane amount of money to boost, and there's even less reason to ruin the old content to make it rushable.

But sadly, I imagine that boosting is just too good of a cashcow to make it free, even if it mean destroying your old content and harming your new player retention.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hav0kk View Post
    Fundamentally speaking:
    The game is currently built in such a way that NO ONE can slow down and simply enjoy the game at their own pace.
    Wrong! if that is the case for you you are playing with the wrong people.

I might have agreed with you when I was still a kid and had lots of a free time. My gaming time is too precious now to waste it doing things slowly for the sake of slowness.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell-Nicø View Post
    That's a pretty big problem tho.
    Let's be real, the low level dungeon experience is just completely ruined for new player now.
    You pop in, with a bunch of people who already know the dungeon and can individually solo it and rush forward. It's just a terrible experience, and telling them that "if they aren't happy they can leave" is pretty stupid and harmful to the game as a whole.

Because they are right to be unhappy with the dungeons, as we all should. They are shit.

The constant xp squeesh ruined the low level leveling (ie you start the zone red and get it grey halfwaytrought, without any heirloom), the heirloom ruined the dungeon, right now low level wow isn't fun, and there's no reason for that to be acceptable.

Boosting to 100 should be free to all players with a hero level max. If you just want to get a new class max to play end game content, fine there's no reason to force you to do AGAIN all the previous xpac, there's no reason to make you pay an insane amount of money to boost, and there's even less reason to ruin the old content to make it rushable.

But sadly, I imagine that boosting is just too good of a cashcow to make it free, even if it mean destroying your old content and harming your new player retention.
    I guess you're right. It's just not a point of view I've ever held. If I go play an mmo I've never played before like BDO or Rift or ESO, I'm not going to care about whats going on lore-wise. I'll be focused on how to get to max level asap, and then if I'm interested I'll go back and take a look at the lore I missed once I get bored of the max level content.

10+ Year Old Account
    A dying heart needs an adrenal injection for the few moments of life it may have left. I know you people don't want to hear it, but 13 year old game etc etc.

OP, what game design changes do you suggest? You left that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    A dying heart needs an adrenal injection for the few moments of life it may have left. I know you people don't want to hear it, but 13 year old game etc etc.
    A game that still has millions of players after 13 years is a "dying heart"? Uhm ok then. Games have proven they can survive fine on less than 1 million hell even 500k players so WoW is a long way from being as you put it "a dying heart"

Name me another game that's done this well in a 13 year period. Everquest has tanked, FF11 has like 3 maybe 5k dedicated players tops, Runescape doesn't exactly have a super large playerbase anymore, Asherons Call 1 and 2 both shut down and I could list more but you get the picture.

Not trying to defend WoW but to claim it's "a dying heart" when it's still churning out expansions and showing no sign of slowing down is silly.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-07-10 at 02:49 AM.

well not as negative as the OP ... i do despise the rush rush attitude of the game now, i feel its worse than LK for sure. Its a why i despise the concepts of CM's and now the mythic +. But i simply choose not to do them cause its not a play style I enjoy, if others do go for it.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

The rush mentality has always been a horrible thing. That mentality is part of the reason many call to nerf everything in the game. It goes back to diablo 1. In diablo 1, there were ZERO restrictions on how fast you could rush to the end. So, everyone hacked the game, gave themselves god mode, one shot the final boss in 5 minutes. Then they said "this game is boring" and quit.

Everything done since then has been designed to STOP people from rushing ahead. And its always a war. Stupid gamers who want to rush thru content without understanding why thats bad, and blizzard throwing up roadblocks.

Theres no defense for rushing thru content. None. It was tried. It sucked. End of story.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The rush mentality has always been a horrible thing. That mentality is part of the reason many call to nerf everything in the game. It goes back to diablo 1. In diablo 1, there were ZERO restrictions on how fast you could rush to the end. So, everyone hacked the game, gave themselves god mode, one shot the final boss in 5 minutes. Then they said "this game is boring" and quit.

Everything done since then has been designed to STOP people from rushing ahead. And its always a war. Stupid gamers who want to rush thru content without understanding why thats bad, and blizzard throwing up roadblocks.

Theres no defense for rushing thru content. None. It was tried. It sucked. End of story.
    That was more to do with how Diablo 1 was coded. Nothing else. Battle.net support and the infrastructure was meagre at best back then so it was easy to do things like that. All the infrastructure really was for Diablo 1 was a lobby. Also everyone? I played through it on each difficulty.

Also that shit happened in Diablo 2 just Battle.net was much better than so Blizzard caught onto it. As they also do with their modern games.

Also what roadblocks? I rushed to 110 on my alts and was 870 in a couple of days. With my Artifact secondary traits unlocked because I can trade AK40 books from my main that has it. I'm genuinely curious to these roadblocks you speak of.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-07-10 at 03:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    A game that still has millions of players after 13 years is a "dying heart"? Uhm ok then. Games have proven they can survive fine on less than 1 million hell even 500k players so WoW is a long way from being as you put it "a dying heart"

Name me another game that's done this well in a 13 year period. Everquest has tanked, FF11 has like 3 maybe 5k dedicated players tops, Runescape doesn't exactly have a super large playerbase anymore, Asherons Call 1 and 2 both shut down and I could list more but you get the picture.

Not trying to defend WoW but to claim it's "a dying heart" when it's still churning out expansions and showing no sign of slowing down is silly.
    You greatly over estimate how many millions it has. It is nowhere near what it once was. And yes, it is a dying heart; the mechanics, environmental design... a lot of it is simply out of date. It continually builds on a software foundation more than a decade old. But what makes it a dying heart?

In it's time it saw the dawn of YouTube, social media, smart devices THREE generations of consoles, numerous generations of computer upgrades but most importantly it spanned two generations of gamers themselves. There isn't a soul alive that saw the original trailer for Legion and didn't think "fan service". It's a game running out of ideas, running out of lore and must I remind you the last time they tried something original lore-wise it wasn't well received. The original design team is for the most part gone on to other things, Blizzard themselves have said they don't want to just be 'the wow company', it's a beast that is the biggest phenominom in gaming! TRUE! But: all good things must come to an end.

You jump like a white knight and you attack the one thing that is keeping wow alive: it's community. You say this mentality dearth of wow when in reality not a damn one of the current players could stand the old grinds. Hell you mentioned EQ, and bitch not one 'career' wow player could take a week in that digital hell. I've played MMOs since 1996. Twenty. One. Fucking. Years. Guess what? Ultima still exists in some format, too! And so doesn't EVE, which is a year older than wow! But how many Horde Red Mountain Dews do you drink, how many times does Ozzy still play his warlock.. lol...

You are wasting your time complaining about this rush mentality. That's the normal gamer mentality. You want something more meticulous like back in my day? I suggest newer games. Everyone I know from WoW had moved on. We were once the 2nd best EQ guild, moved on to being one of the best Horde guilds and now we're all on with life. What i'm trying to tell you is what I said was the most important thing that happened during wow: you're just playing with a newer set of gamers and this is just what they do.

The game itself caters to this: how mush resist gear do you farm now? How many ingredients and how many hours of making pots for the raid do you put in? How many phones do you call when its raid time and your heal team isn't all on yet? How many raids do you cancel due to... real life people you know dying in a traffic accident...

WoW is dying. I didn't say it's dead. But I am saying your complaint is folly: nothing you do here or suggest elsewhere will change the mentality of the current generation of players. To do that, you must lead from the front, not post from the forums. If you choose that path, be prepared. It will take more work than most would care to truly put in. I hope you take this speech with a grain of salt, sir. What I say is all true.

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    -snip-
    When you start trying to present your opinion as fact and throwing the "white knight" argument into the mix then I stop taking you seriously.

Also I never complained about "rush mentality". That was the OP. Me personally I sure as hell wouldn't want archaic levelling systems back in the game unless it was optional.

What I say is all true
    Uhm no. What you presented is your opinion piece of why you think a game is dying. Either present it as an opinion or I see no point continuing with you.

Where is your hard evidence the game is "dying"? Give me some factual evidence rather than your opinion piece.

Again name me an MMO that is still kicking normally after 13 years and pumping out content like WoW is. Hint there is none.

Any MMO from that day either has barely any players or has shut down.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-07-10 at 03:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    When you start trying to present your opinion as fact then I stop taking you seriously.

Also I never complained about "rush mentality". That was the OP. Me personally I sure as hell wouldn't want archaic levelling systems back in the game unless it was optional.

Uhm no. What you presented is your opinion piece of why you think a game is dying.

Where is your hard evidence the game is "dying"? Give me concrete numbers.

Again name me an MMO that is still kicking normally after 13 years and pumping out content like WoW is. Hint there is none.

Any MMO from that day either has barely any players or has shut down.
    Jesus Christ, child. Try reading my post. EVE is a year older, the OLDEST subscription model game (though recently FTP) and still produces content. Fans kept Ultima up, and EQ still exists (barely). But tell you what, go ahead with your temper tantrum and lashing out against those who disagree. Keep waving that banner, it will hit you one day. Several posters above spelled it out already: it's just the way gamers are now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hav0kk View Post
    The "Rush Mentality" which currently defines WoW's gameplay and the community mindset has led me to the conclusion that this game is on the verge of entering its death throes and I can no longer put up with it.
    ...That's part of the fun.

When the Expac started you had to go sort of at a regular pace when doing Heroic/Mythic/+ at appropriate gear levels.

But when you gear up you can do fun things like pulling half an instance.

Or in my case... Tossing a Fireblast on Midnight, waiting for all the mobs to instant-pull to her, tossing up living bomb, combustion, Dragons Breath. Explosion. BOOM!

It's fun.

Gigantic numbers on the meters, clearing a large chunk of the instance in one go.

Can't do it at an appropriately challenging Mythic+ Lower Karazhan, but you adapt.

As for the other 'Rush'

That is because Blizzard is finally doing what they should have done since WotLK. By not trying to put out an Expansion every year or so and instead just accepting that an expac will last two years and putting in tons of content they're solving what the big scream was about for the past 4 Expacs.

Content Drought.

There's a LOT of content, I had 10 alts at 100 and doing stuff on WoD, but in Legion, I can only maintain my main. Maybe it's my lack of patience for doing multiple Mythic+ Keys to 15 each week or I don't spend enough time playing, but I'm satisfied with the amount of content where I was hungry for more back in LK, Cata, MoP and WoD.

So this 'Rush' you're talking about? I think if anything it's bringing people back, and it's kept me subscribed throughout the expac (where normally I'd take a 2-3 month break in the past)