Page 1 of 3
LastLast

GOP Health care bill on the brink (again)

From CNN Politics

'The Senate returns for a critical three-week period when Republicans will try to salvage their health care bill. But it's clearly in deep trouble and they might not be able to save it.
    Things are looking especially tough after the bill hung out there over the recess (which Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell badly wanted to avoid) and it got battered by voters and senators.
    Watch Tuesday's Senate lunch -- that's when we might get the first real indications of the week on which direction leadership is moving, and it'll be an opportunity for leaders to take the temperature of the conference on how they're feeling after the week-long recess.
    Maybe the clearest sign that things aren't looking good? President Donald Trump's tweet Monday morning: "I cannot imagine that Congress would dare to leave Washington without a beautiful new HealthCare bill fully approved and ready to go!"...'

Full CNN article link
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/10/politi...lay/index.html

I thought they were supposed to be voting this week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    I thought they were supposed to be voting this week.
    Turns out that letting Congress go home and tell the poor people they're going to kill so they can cut taxes on the rich about how they're going to do it, can cause push back.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    They need to give up on both the house and the Senate versions and just come up with something that isn't a complete abomination.

Which, of course, they can't because the interests they are financially beholden to are in direct conflict with their constituents.

The GOP will flail around on healthcare without success until either a) democrats take back control of one of the houses given them cover to give up or b) enough moderate GOP folks can craft something tolerable to the more conservative Dems that can pass the Senate -- which means it isn't likely to pass the house so I don't really know how that would work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    They need to give up on both the house and the Senate versions and just come up with something that isn't a complete abomination.
    Mitch McConnell is at a turning point in what's left of his political career.

A) He can follow Trump lock-step, insist on repeal and replace with...uh...well I guess he could try to force the issue with TrumpCare 3: the Trumpening, but everything I've seen suggest even he doesn't think it'll pass. Multiple GOP senators have been saying "no, it hurts too many people" and 52 is a fucking dangerous number for them to deal with (get it? I'm clever!)

OR.

B) He could actually work with Democrats to either make something 100% new, or failing that stabilize the already stable markets, and make something both sides can agree on. But this will be seen as heresy by the far right and Trump who are not the same but somehow agree on killing old people for money.

Based purely on the information we have so far:
    A) This route seems likely to fail. This leave the GOP with nothing, then August they don't work, then September they have a budget to pass which must happen before TrumpCare 4: Trumpsters on Ice is planned behind locked doors with no women, doctors, or people with souls involved. Worse, their lack of progress will embolden the Democrats, who will kick them in the wallet while they're down, and force them to cave on a few key issues during the budget process, leading to either a weakened form of B below or a government shutdown. With nobody to blame for a string of dismal failures but themselves, the GOP loses a pile of seats in 2018 and the implosion of the party commences in earnest. McConnell will not retain his leadership role, and might not even return to Washington. He might resign in disgrace.
    B) Moderates get to return to their voters and not get booed the fuck out of their town halls and likely re-elected, but the hard right will be out for fucking blood. A power struggle in the GOP will ensue, with McConnell's seat in jeopardy. Assuming he keeps it -- possibly by managing to win other points on other issues -- the far right likely goes full Tea Party and splits, saving the GOP from itself but costing them market share in the process. If this happens, McConnell will likely retain his job, and the GOP might even retain their majority role, but the attacks by Trump will be nonstop.

I admit, it is possible they can somehow salvage what they have with a few tweaks and squeak by with 50 1/2 votes. But the current evidence is against that, and I don't see that happening until later in the fall regardless.

This is what seven years of being the Party of No gets you. Maybe they should have been the Party of Try This Instead?

Gonna be funny when Trump goes to the democrats and They fix it.

they have to go back and figure out how to get that number to 30 million...then they can move on to gutting medicare, that other FORCED to buy insurance product.....you know just like Obamacare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Problem is, "Obamacare" was the Republican plan. So now, they gots nothin'.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    He'd have to spin that really fucking hard to his usual "it was my idea and plan and it was great and it worked just like I said". But he'd take credit for it, despite the fact that a Dem-Rep hybrid plan would look exactly zero percent like anything he's ever asked for. Except maybe the "heart" bit.

That said, a Dem-Rep bipartisan hybrid on something this big would be a massive step in the right direction and would also likely save thousands of lives every year. I'd love to see that.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    He'd have to spin that really fucking hard to his usual "it was my idea and plan and it was great and it worked just like I said". But he'd take credit for it, despite the fact that a Dem-Rep hybrid plan would look exactly zero percent like anything he's ever asked for. Except maybe the "heart" bit.

That said, a Dem-Rep bipartisan hybrid on something this big would be a massive step in the right direction and would also likely save thousands of lives every year. I'd love to see that.
    It might also be a good way to literally "let the healing begin" from the national-embarrassment/travesty that Trump has become and whom we will soon (not!) be rid of.

If they got some moderate republicans to do it? Possible.

The big problem with the Republican bill is it isn't intended to improve health care in any way. Not the quality, not the accessibility, not the cost. The singular goal of the bill was to kick people off insurance to give a tax cut to the richest people in the nation.

If Trump got some republicans together with the democrats with the intent of making a health care bill instead of a tax cut they could do something. But that would require Trump not be a total fucking idiot. And he is sadly a total fucking idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    If they got some moderate republicans to do it? Possible.

The big problem with the Republican bill is it isn't intended to improve health care in any way. Not the quality, not the accessibility, not the cost. The singular goal of the bill was to kick people off insurance to give a tax cut to the richest people in the nation.

If Trump got some republicans together with the democrats with the intent of making a health care bill instead of a tax cut they could do something. But that would require Trump not be a total fucking idiot. And he is sadly a total fucking idiot.

You mean to stop the trillion dollar unfounded Backdoor expansion of Medicaid? How are state budgets going to look in 10 years. Maybe expanding Medicaid is the right answer, but just yoloing it probably isn't the best solution

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean to stop the trillion dollar unfounded Backdoor expansion of Medicaid? How are state budgets going to look in 10 years. Maybe expanding Medicaid is the right answer, but just yoloing it probably isn't the best solution
    Wouldn't have to yolo it if you lot would pay your taxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    It might also be a good way to literally "let the healing begin" from the national-embarrassment/travesty that Trump has become
    If both sides of the aisle can come together for something like this, it is a huge deal regardless of who's president. That'd be massive and I'd be cheering openly.

The fact that Trump would have zero percent to do with it would be icing on the cake, but hardly the important part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Single Payer, why you handsome devil you, come over here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Color me skeptical, but I have a hard time seeing any plan with Republican involvement institute the cost controls we need to actually fix our healthcare system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Color me skeptical, but I have a hard time seeing any plan with Republican involvement institute the cost controls we need to actually fix our healthcare system.
    The only way it could happen is with bilateral support. And there's no chance anything remotely like that will happen with any GOP plan they're trying to rush out before the year ends.

10+ Year Old Account
    BREAKING NEWS!!!!

McCain is deeply disturbed.

More news when Donnie wakes up.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

They need to at least repeal the insurance mandate right now. The federal government can't legally require anyone to buy a product.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Healing Rain View Post
    They need to at least repeal the insurance mandate right now. The federal government can't legally require anyone to buy a product.
    ((that was supposed to be stepping stone to a single payer system))

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Mitch McConnell is at a turning point in what's left of his political career.

A) He can follow Trump lock-step, insist on repeal and replace with...uh...well I guess he could try to force the issue with TrumpCare 3: the Trumpening, but everything I've seen suggest even he doesn't think it'll pass. Multiple GOP senators have been saying "no, it hurts too many people" and 52 is a fucking dangerous number for them to deal with (get it? I'm clever!)

OR.

B) He could actually work with Democrats to either make something 100% new, or failing that stabilize the already stable markets, and make something both sides can agree on. But this will be seen as heresy by the far right and Trump who are not the same but somehow agree on killing old people for money.

Based purely on the information we have so far:
    A) This route seems likely to fail. This leave the GOP with nothing, then August they don't work, then September they have a budget to pass which must happen before TrumpCare 4: Trumpsters on Ice is planned behind locked doors with no women, doctors, or people with souls involved. Worse, their lack of progress will embolden the Democrats, who will kick them in the wallet while they're down, and force them to cave on a few key issues during the budget process, leading to either a weakened form of B below or a government shutdown. With nobody to blame for a string of dismal failures but themselves, the GOP loses a pile of seats in 2018 and the implosion of the party commences in earnest. McConnell will not retain his leadership role, and might not even return to Washington. He might resign in disgrace.
    B) Moderates get to return to their voters and not get booed the fuck out of their town halls and likely re-elected, but the hard right will be out for fucking blood. A power struggle in the GOP will ensue, with McConnell's seat in jeopardy. Assuming he keeps it -- possibly by managing to win other points on other issues -- the far right likely goes full Tea Party and splits, saving the GOP from itself but costing them market share in the process. If this happens, McConnell will likely retain his job, and the GOP might even retain their majority role, but the attacks by Trump will be nonstop.

I admit, it is possible they can somehow salvage what they have with a few tweaks and squeak by with 50 1/2 votes. But the current evidence is against that, and I don't see that happening until later in the fall regardless.

This is what seven years of being the Party of No gets you. Maybe they should have been the Party of Try This Instead?
    The problem is that they spent alot of telling people democrats are the devil. When the good senator from podunk shit hill midwest fly over state goes back to his base and says he worked with satan he gets primaried. Hell he may as well say he aborted a fetus.