Poll: Best Spot to be a Raidlead

Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Best Raid Spot to be Raidlead

Which Raid Spot is the best to do the job of a raidlead? I'm talking Tank, Heal, Range DPS, Meele DPS.

During WotLK I did Raidlead for first and second tier. In that time i was always a tank. How is it in Legion? Haven't been a tank for a long time.

Just curious what people think / experienced. What's your opinion?

BM hunter is best raid leader. Easy rotation, so can focus on raid leading :P

No clue, but every single raid leader i've ever had was a healer or tank. You absolutely can't raid lead as a dps, dpsing requires way too much attention and button smashing.

Hmm... It has more to do with having the right person for the job.
    I'd say tank would be the worst role for a raid leader though but it also depends on the fight.

If I have to pick one, I'd say ranged DPS just to get a good overhead look at how the raid is doing.

I raid lead as a Shadow Priest. It was hard as hell in EN/ToV while also trying to maintain StM. It's been a lot easier for NH/ToS, but I do still suffer in my performance from it at times. I found it easier to raid lead as a tank in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    No clue, but every single raid leader i've ever had was a healer or tank. You absolutely can't raid lead as a dps, dpsing requires way too much attention and button smashing.
    Gotta Agree with this statement. you have to be tank or Heals to be a raid leader. Dps rotations are way to interactive for a raid leaders to lead properly.

You need to stand at a good range so that you can observe the whole encounter, you also benefit from a simple spec where you don't have to watch dot timers, procs, health bars and things like that. BM hunter is actually a perfect choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Allenschezar View Post
    Which Raid Spot is the best to do the job of a raidlead? I'm talking Tank, Heal, Range DPS, Meele DPS.

During WotLK I did Raidlead for first and second tier. In that time i was always a tank. How is it in Legion? Haven't been a tank for a long time.

Just curious what people think / experienced. What's your opinion?
    Not a tank, you can't see anything going on, or where mistakes are being made.

Not a healer (Unless you have a fellow healer doing all the raid cds calls)

Probably not a melee dps, again you can't see what's going on quite as well, but if you were, go a simple spec, like ret pally.

Best spec would be a BM hunter ranged, extremely simple spec, mindless, but also giving you full mobility and the ability to see everything going on.

Quote Originally Posted by lavaalamp View Post
    Gotta Agree with this statement. you have to be tank or Heals to be a raid leader. Dps rotations are way to interactive for a raid leaders to lead properly.
    sorry to say that but i can do the mage fire rotation subconciously and i did raidlead for several years. As a healer i would find it much more difficult because you have to watch the grid and cant look at the fight for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by lavaalamp View Post
    BMs hunters are so simple, that a RL can play well and lead at the same time.

Tanks make for very poor raid leaders, as they can't see enough on what's going wrong each attempt, healers work quite well though.

Go ahead and mention any top guild with a non tank/healer raid leader. Oh that's right, there's none. The only way you can think a dps can make a good raid leader is because you don't raid, in the other words, you don't know what you're talking about.

I guess everybody has their own opinion, even if it's a wrong one.

You can raidlead as anything, but it goes with sacrifices.

Dont expect to DPS properly when you have to press that Push-To-Talk button every 5 seconds, you simply underperform a lot.

While if a tank doesnt press his filler for half a second isnt as punished as a DPS.

Myself as example, when i raid lead as Fury i have way worse performance then when i pug as Fury cause i dont have to spam the push-to-talk 24/7 , and when i raidlead as a Tank who cares, i might get 0.4% more damage overall in the fight if i hadnt pressed that Push-To-Talk so many times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta be Tank or Healer, roles that are no doubt critical but can sacrifice some attention and not suffer as greatly as someone fucking up their DPS rotation.

I've raided with my leader in all 3 roles, and the few that I've had always preferred tanking and healing. Let the Redbull-chuggers focus on their DPS priorities & rotations, you can call out DBM bard while you stack mitigation.

Nymrohd also makes a good point; Just because your raid leader is X role doesn't mean they're the only person calling stuff out, focusing on the fight and phases etc. It's best handled as a team.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    You need to stand at a good range so that you can observe the whole encounter, you also benefit from a simple spec where you don't have to watch dot timers, procs and things like that. BM hunter is actually a perfect choice.
    In Naxx (WotLK) it really depended on the encounter for me. As mentioned in my OP i did it as a tank. It was ok for most bosses as i saw everything even as a tank. But then there were bosses like Kel'thuzad. First phase was ok. But as soon as the second phase started i stood on the throne with the boss right in my face. That was a bit annoying. Could only rely on timers and stuff.

DPS was always a thing i thought to be impossible with rotation, dot management and so on. But then i never really played hunter so can't say anything about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Caladia View Post
    I raid lead as a Shadow Priest. It was hard as hell in EN/ToV while also trying to maintain StM. It's been a lot easier for NH/ToS, but I do still suffer in my performance from it at times. I found it easier to raid lead as a tank in the past.
    Raid leading as a tank is aids, on most fights the only thing you're seeing is a bosses genital area.

Deleted
    Go ahead and mention any top guild with a non tank/healer raid leader. Oh that's right, there's none. The only way you can think a dps can make a good raid leader is because you don't raid, in the other words, you don't know what you're talking about.

I guess everybody has their own opinion, even if it's a wrong one.
    Was Kuznam a Tank or Heal? Rogerbrown isn't either. Better check the facts before making such a post.

Doesn't matter. For once "bring the player and not the role or class" is applicable. raid leading is a mission not something one should be forced to do.

For a PUG - tank, for a guild run - who ever is best at the job, for LFR - what's a raid leader.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Whoever says Tank raid leaders cant see how you fail, please stop, before i simply say "git gud".

What makes a raid leader from a scrub that reads the timers of his screen is the ability to play the game at near maximum potential while spotting how shit your raiders are during the fight and adapting instantly to the situation.

Yes the new camera doesnt help, but doesnt mean its not possible, its just more hectic at certain fights/angles now than it was before, but doable.

Also, every respectable guild/raid would have "Announcers" along with the raid leader if something is getting out of hand with tracking, because the raid leader is in another side/room/dimension.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-07-12 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Why on earth are you not in drop down view? How can you judge positioning if you are looking at the boss?
    Drop down view is only used on a fight where you have to move a boss , otherwise it's pointless. You still don't see jack shit with the new camera in place and the boss takes up 60% of screen still.

I raid lead out of necessity as a tank when no one else will step up to do so but it's in no way optimal. There is a reason mostly all the top guilds use a ranged dps or healer as raid lead.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Whoever says Tank raid leaders cant see how you fail, please stop, before i simply say "git gud".

What makes a raid leader from a scrub that reads the timers of his screen is the ability to play the game at near maximum potential while spotting how shit your raiders are during the fight and adapting instantly to the situation.

Also, every respectable guild/raid would have "Announcers" along with the raid leader if something is getting out of hand with tracking, because the raid leader is in another side/room/dimension.
    Ya sure thing bro, I'll keep track of who is in the process of fucking up a shadow blade on the other side of the map while I'm tanking maiden in a beam 150 yards away on the opposite side.

When you want to sound pro, but actually end up sounding silly- The Post.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-07-12 at 07:43 AM.