Poll: Should Blizzard Create another MMO??

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Do you think Blizzard will try another MMO I.P?

So it's been over 4 years since Titan was cancled in May 2013. For those of you not familiar with the story follow the link below to find out what could have been:

http://kotaku.com/heres-what-blizzar...was-1638632121

From the ashes of Titan rose Overwatch (Probably the best comeback from a canceled game i've ever seen).

Blizzard were looking to build a new IP in the MMO genre and 4 years have past since the failure of Titan. Maybe they saw an end to WoW maybe not but one thing for sure is the only MMO that will truly be the 'WoW Killer' would be a blizzard one.

I believe Blizzard would never go the WoW 2 route as it'll be an insult to the memory of the major pillar to the company.

Right now Blizzard is what i'd call a DLC company they have the I.Ps and the games already made and they'll happily spend the next 10 years cash cowing them (which is fine business wise).

But I for one would love to see a new MMO come from this iconic company even if it's based off Diablo/Starcraft.

What do you think? is it time for Blizzard to take the plunge again? or start another MMO in their current IP's?

10+ Year Old Account
    "I wouldn't say no to ever doing an MMO again," Morhaime said. "But I can say that right now, that's not where we want to be spending our time."
    I wouldn't count on them ever doing another MMO. Gaming generally has moved on from the MMO genre. Which is one reason why most of them have failed.

Just to be clear I don't think they'll do an RTS any time soon either. If there's a genre that is more dead than MMORPG at this point it would be RTS.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2017-07-14 at 03:33 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I highly doubt it.

When they cancelled Titan it was clear that they will focus only in WoW in the MMO market, which was a smart move IMO. Why would you want to make a new MMO compete with your MMO, which is already a HUGE success?

Plus MMO market is pretty full, and people tastes are changing IMO. We don't want to spend hours and hours in a MMO, we play more casual games, less time-consuming.

Just look what Blizzard has done lately:

- HotS (casual game).
    - Hearthstone (casual game).
    - Diablo 3 (casual game, especially with seasons).
    - Overwatch (casual game).
    - The casualization of WoW (not so casual IMO, but I'm a crazy completionist).

At the same time, all this games have the chance to become a hardcore game if you want to.

I can't say it enough, if Everquest is still receiving expansions, how long do you think that WoW will stay alive? It will bury us all. Its a game that makes such an enormous amount of money... there is 0 chance that they will stop making content for it as long as that doesn't change. Just look what a wonderful patching cycle are we having in Legion, finally they made a developer team big enough to keep us busy forever, with a high quality level of content (this is my subjective opinion of course).

What I see Blizzard doing is what almost every company in the industry is doing, make games with MMO elements, casual, with a nice online shop to milk our money with cosmetics and stuff. I think that Diablo 4 is going to be the first game in which we'll really see this pattern in Blizzard games.
    Last edited by Darkarath; 2017-07-14 at 03:45 PM.
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkarath View Post
    I highly doubt it.

When they cancelled Titan it was clear that they will focus only in WoW in the MMO market, which was a smart move IMO. Why would you want to make a new MMO compete with your MMO, which is already a HUGE success?

Plus MMO market is pretty full, and people tastes are changing IMO. We don't want to spend hours and hours in a MMO, we play more casual games, less time-consuming.

Just look what Blizzard has done lately:

- HotS (casual game).
    - Hearthstone (casual game).
    - Diablo 3 (casual game, especially with seasons).
    - Overwatch (casual game).
    - The casualization of WoW (not so casual IMO, but I'm a crazy completionist).

At the same time, all this games have the chance to become a hardcore game if you want to.

I can't say it enough, if Everquest is still receiving expansions, how long do you think that WoW will stay alive? It will bury us all. Its a game that makes such an enormous amount of money... there is 0 chance that they will stop making content for it as long as that doesn't change. Just look what a wonderful patching cycle are we having in Legion, finally they made a developer team big enough to keep us busy forever, with a high quality level of content (this is my subjective opinion of course).

What I see Blizzard doing is what almost every company in the industry is doing, make games with MMO elements, casual, with a nice online shop to milk our money with cosmetics and stuff. I think that Diablo 4 is going to be the first game in which we really see this pattern in Blizzard games.
    Great post with valid reasons!

I agree with the games with MMO elements! If they do that to Diablo 4 it'll be soooo goooood

No, they won't.

And WoW2 would not only be risky, but downright retarded as a venture when WoW is 13 years old yet pulls a billion USD per year, growing its profits. They wouldn't risk that good will and the dedicated playerbase to try and create something new for people whom are mentally over the WoW universe.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    No, they won't.

And WoW2 would not only be risky, but downright retarded as a venture when WoW is 13 years old yet pulls a billion USD per year, growing its profits. They wouldn't risk that good will and the dedicated playerbase to try and create something new for people whom are mentally over the WoW universe.
    Love the Sig xD

There's like three different questions there.

Do I think they'll do it? No.

Should they do it? Probably not.

Do I want them to do it? Meh, the more games the better, but I don't see myself ever starting a new MMO again.

I have feeling they are going to do something different with Diablo, a Bloodborne type game set in the Diablo Universe. They were trying to fill positions for Diablo as well a few weeks ago.

Why would they?
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

MMORPG or RTS? A game of kinda dead genre or a game of dead genre? Hmmm... Hard choice T_T

Quote Originally Posted by Rivux View Post
    So it's been over 4 years since Titan was cancled in May 2013. For those of you not familiar with the story follow the link below to find out what could have been:

http://kotaku.com/heres-what-blizzar...was-1638632121

From the ashes of Titan rose Overwatch (Probably the best comeback from a canceled game i've ever seen).

Blizzard were looking to build a new IP in the MMO genre and 4 years have past since the failure of Titan. Maybe they saw an end to WoW maybe not but one thing for sure is the only MMO that will truly be the 'WoW Killer' would be a blizzard one.

I believe Blizzard would never go the WoW 2 route as it'll be an insult to the memory of the major pillar to the company.

Right now Blizzard is what i'd call a DLC company they have the I.Ps and the games already made and they'll happily spend the next 10 years cash cowing them (which is fine business wise).

But I for one would love to see a new MMO come from this iconic company even if it's based off Diablo/Starcraft.

What do you think? is it time for Blizzard to take the plunge again? or start another MMO in their current IP's?
    Out of their current IPs, the only option for another MMORPG is Diablo.

instead of them making a new MMORPG I can see them making old school servers available . Similar to what ragnarok online official server just launched called ragnarok restart (4000 people on there but lets be real 90% are bots... still though a little hype just for that). It's a progression ragnarok server from launch until current.

It would give them the ability to have Wow (progression launch server from day 1 until present or season type servers) and then Wow 2 ( legion and beyond) . There you go! wow 2 is already here!

Doubtful, they seem to want to develop smaller games, MMOs are pretty big and I don't think they will be able to replicate the success of wow with a new MMO. Plus MMOs are a huge undertaking, and after Titan was scrapped I don't think they will try again.

Deleted
    Blizzard said they won't make another MMO because they don't want to be known as the "MMO company". Of course they don't seem to have a problem with being known as the "makers of average, casual, multiplayer-centric games, to be milked for months until their hype dies down and so do they".

On topic. The only thing that would interest me, and quite a lot, would be a Starcraft MMO with 3 factions.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    They're probably working on another MMO right now with Tom Chilton and Senior PVP DESIGNER (which you only have in mmos) Holinka working on a secret project in the company.

They can't make WoW 2 because they've already gone through basically all the major lore characters from warcraft 1-3+x-pacs. It would be better for them to just start from scratch with a new universe. They are one of the best at world building.

MMORPG's is not where the money lies. Sure they might love to make something like a Starcraft MMO, but their main priority is to make money. Which other genres do way better at. Its also why there are no new RTS games at all, if the first Starcraft game wasn't so well known I very much doubt that SC2 would've seen the daylight. And even then its now their least performing game, which make sme doubt that we'll ever see a WC4.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akande Ogundimu View Post
    They're probably working on another MMO right now with Tom Chilton and Senior PVP DESIGNER (which you only have in mmos) Holinka working on a secret project in the company.
    Blizzard only has one new project in the works: an FPS game. Whether it's an MMO, a singleplayer game or yet another casual multiplayer-centric game, is unknown.

MMOs are all but dead at this point. Sure new ones pop up all the time but they barely last.

I could see Blizz trying to develop a heavily story driven single player RPG. Something in the mold of the Elder Scrolls franchise.

MMO? Absolutely

MMORPG like WoW? Likely not.