Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    The dogs also aren’t trained to release on a verbal command. Instead, officers are taught to apply pressure to release the canine’s jaw, to ensure they’re always in control. It’s also done to lessen the chances of a second bite.
    What kind of half-assed training is this?

They aren't trained with a release command????

The officers are just supposed to pry the jaws off???

That is just...what chucklehead thought that was a good idea?
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    And people wonder why BLM exists.
    Nice meme, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    What kind of half-assed training is this?

They aren't trained with a release command????

The officers are just supposed to pry the jaws off???

That is just...what chucklehead thought that was a good idea?
    If it's to lessen the chance of it biting again, 'causing more damage than if it were to just hold the suspect in place, then what's the issue? The dogs are trained to apprehend and hold people until they can be secured. So from what I see, it went down as it should have, in that scenario, when the guy didn't back down while he was aware of the dog being there.

The way that blood-hounds for hunting accidents can be trained, if the dog is large and strong enough, it can kill the wounded animal it finds, without having to call for a handler/hunter to do it...it'll still mark that the animal was found though, at least that's what we do. There's no 'let go' command there either, but it's trained to kill another animal. Some people would consider it cruel, but it suffers either way, so it is a kindness to kill the poor creature quicker than if it had to lie there, panicking and bleeding out, with a dog next to it barking it's head off, waiting for a human to catch-up and kill it.

Besides, the cops aren't supposed to pry the jaws off, they apply pressure, dog knows it should let go then...that's technically the 'let go' command. This dog held on for too long in my opinion, but I don't know how long it normally holds on, so I couldn't say.

Update, because this subject interests me; First off, yanking on the dog to get it off is extremely stupid, and the cpo didn't do that at least, as that would have caused a lot more damage if the animal really didn't want to let go. The man can have done something to provoke the animal to not wanting to let go (and the man did provoke the situation in the first place by staying agressive to the officers even with the dog present and leashed), it's difficult to say.

Either way; https://www.attn.com/stories/18265/v...hile-handcuffs
    The article states that the dog adhered to to the local police dep. regulations, ergo it didn't do anything wrong in that area. The handler is allegedly not this specific dog's primary handler, which could also contribute to the dog possibly being unruly, as he didn't give the right 'command' (pressure), to let go of the cuffed man.

Slightly curious, as I found this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwqF2qRlCKk Very interesting watch first of all, but this should arguably be the standard for police dogs trained in takedowns everywere, but it's evidently also a difficult task for dogs to learn; verbal call-back before, during and after an engagement. The second dog is supposedly very well trained in this discipline, but it's also easy to see that it turns it's attention back to the training-perp multiple times, so even then, I couldn't fault normies in thinking that the dog is violent and out for blood...but it really isn't. Dogs are mostly simple animals, they want a purpose and to please, even more so for a working dog, such as the belgian malinois/GSD, which are preferred breeds for this sort of job. They don't love to bite, they love to work and please their handlers...no creepy innuendos here.

So, something definately went wrong, but I don't think it's as egregious as some people view it as. The man escalated the situation by not backing down when told, so dog was deployed. Dog did it's job in accordance with local department guidelines (but with criticism warranted), so it should be investigated. It's also difficult to assess an injury from bites just from that video in the OP, so calling it serious straight off the bat is not a good idea. It did shake it's head a bit as I watched, which could have caused more damage than necessary.

Either way, it's worth suspending both dog and officer until it has been cleared up, but there is no need to put the dog down when it did what it was trained for, and the handler seemingly couldn't handle it properly. It's a human error.
    Last edited by Halyon; 2017-07-16 at 12:23 PM.

Deleted
    Much like police get tazered to let them know the effects of the device,police should have to go through the same experience this man went through in on order to get their attack dog.

10+ Year Old Account
    As people have pointed out, the dog is clearly not "untrained". Otherwise it wouldn't have even been out with the cop.
    Second, it's a dog no matter how good the training, sometimes it will simply not obey commands, hell sometimes people won't obey commands.
    Clearly the officer was trying to get the dog off, presumably he attempted to use the command and it wasn't working so he tried other means, good for him.

I just hope they don't put the dog down.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tupimus View Post
    Go back to hitting yourself on the head with a spade. That's not a trained dog, that's an abused animal looking for something to victimize.

Trained to attack but not to stop lol sure. "Trained".
    Go back to throwing rocks in the air and wait for gravity to do its job.

You can train a dog to do one thing well, and one thing not so good. Simple, now keep going with those rocks or crawl down under your bridge,

The first video on the site is no longer up to be viewed. However, from what I can see I have no doubt he was a criminal who deserved it. The second video shows a violent naked man refusing to listen to the police and screaming at them, he too asked for it. I don't think a dog is needed once they have been tracked down, but a good beating with batons was fully in order.

*Edit* was able to find a post of the video elsewhere. The handcuffed guy was clearly a mental case wandering the streets and thus a danger to others, he shouldn't have been around in the first place. The guy video taping was hassling the police the whole time, rather then just keeping his mouth shut. He should have been arrested, and "by mistake" had his head slammed against the roof of the patrol car a few times as he was getting in the back.
    Last edited by Cruor; 2017-07-16 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Why was the dog biting him in the first place?
    The man was initially seen as a threat so the dog did a good job in initially subduing the subject. Why did it kept biting? IDK, that doesn't seem to be the officer's intent. He was trying to pull the dog off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Well the dog did nothing wrong if there was no command to let go, good boy.
    The officer made multiple attempts to pry the dog off. So no, the dog failed its job there.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

America, you need to train your police way better.

Get some English police to show you how it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post

The officer made multiple attempts to pry the dog off. So no, the dog failed its job there.
    no trainer in the world is going to tell you to try and pry the dog off like that in place of a command to release or let go.

Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    no trainer in the world is going to tell you to try and pry the dog off like that in place of a command to release or let go.
    So the cop's partner who was an integral part of its training didn't attempt to command the dog to release? I find that very hard to believe. This is a K9 unit dog who suddenly got disobedient. I'll admit that I am making an assumption, but it's the most logical one.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

So the cop's partner who was an integral part of its training didn't attempt to command the dog to release? I find that very hard to believe. This is a K9 unit dog who suddenly got disobedient. I'll admit that I am making an assumption, but it's the most logical one.
    we can't really say what happened, they cut out a chunk of the video before you see him trying to pull the dog off. even the best trained animal will not always obey.

Deleted
    you can never identify intentional discrimination in these stories but somehow it only happens to black people

Quote Originally Posted by Stickyick79 View Post

They're welcome to come over to some of the more crime-ridden areas of the country and show them how it's done then. But only after being there for several years and seeing how futile most of their training is in response to the types of people they have to deal with day in and day out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    They're welcome to come over to some of the more crime-ridden areas of the country and show them how it's done then. But only after being there for several years and seeing how futile most of their training is in response to the types of people they have to deal with day in and day out.
    Having good officers is a nice bonus but you don't prevent criminality with police alone

Wouldn't be the first time a "police dog" displays lackluster training and/or is put into active service before it's ready, won't be the last.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-07-16 at 08:42 PM.

As the English would say "don't be daft"

You have a much different history then the USA has. you lack a certain group of people (well you have a few but not nearly as many) who are constant problem causers, and violent. The police are a product of these people they have to deal with.

10+ Year Old Account

Sure, we need some new doormats around here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wilfire thread. Check.

Anti-cop theme. Check.

Sensationalistic rag quoted. Check.

Same old shit.

The problem I see with this situation is that training and regulation for the police there is...wanting, but they don't have 0 training. If the regulations say this is fine, and the 'let go' command is physical instead of verbal, then it is what it is, still subpar though. Either way, the handler of the dog was allegedly not the dog's primary handler, which could have caused a problem, since the other handler could be doing it wrong, thus the command is useless.