View Poll Results: Distracted drivers. is the problem getting worse?

Voters
64. This poll is closed
  • Yes the problem is getting worse. (I've Noticed)

35 54.69%
  • No (it's about the same)

9 14.06%
  • Yes and we need stricter laws to find and punish.

14 21.88%
  • No, no problem No new laws needed.

6 9.38%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Seems like I see a lot more people on phones whilst driving. Was on the way home from work the other day, behind someone waiting for traffic lights to change. They changed but the person in front didn't move for a good 5 seconds because they were on the phone, not even looking up at the road.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    Was he not using one of these? https://www.amazon.com/AutoExec-Whee.../dp/B00E1D1GY6

The question & answer section for that is great.
    is this a parody page on amazon my brain just broke

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    So! There has been an argument in NJ about the police being allowed to drive while talking on their cell phones. Why they are not using Blu Tooth is beyond me, but they are permitted to drive their patrol cars, and talk on the phone.

The reason why? They are given 'special training' to be able to do so.

So I suggest that this 'special training' be extended to each and every motorist in the country. If it is available, provide it!
    Almost all people have it available without it being provided for them. It's in the Common Sense section filed under Don't do Dumb Shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    The fact is you could be driving and talking to the person next to you in the passenger seat and be distracted to the point where you enter a small, mental space where you stop paying attention to the road and your circumstances because people have very limited ability to multi-task.
    Lol I'm like that, I can't multi task for shit. But I do the opposite. I'm unable to listen to the passenger because I'm focused on the road, so I can make basic conversation, but if it's too in-depth I just hear prattle but cannot process the words. I simply refuse to allow myself to be distracted from the more important task which is watching the road. With passengers who talk too much I usually end up going "uh huh... that so? great!" and I know it's condescending, but if they don't get the hint then I eventually do tell them "look, I'm trying to drive and you're distracting me, sorry I can't talk"

90% of the time they carry on prattling anyway......

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    is this a parody page on amazon my brain just broke
    and this is why we need autonomous cars to become as good as possible as soon as possible. Because the average person simply lacks the ability to stay focused while driving.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    I'm not sure how Siri is the highest distraction and unless its worse than Google Assistant.
    I use Google Assistant in the car all the time, and it's amazing. I reply to texts on it a lot, and it understands my English well enough that I've only had to redo a text once every 20 or so texts. Never used Siri so I can't comment on that. I have no idea how the fuck it can be a distraction though. Fucking hell, I just say "ok google". I don't have to press a button to do shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    IDK about you, but I hunt for Pokemon while driving

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    So! There has been an argument in NJ about the police being allowed to drive while talking on their cell phones. Why they are not using Blu Tooth is beyond me, but they are permitted to drive their patrol cars, and talk on the phone.

The reason why? They are given 'special training' to be able to do so.

So I suggest that this 'special training' be extended to each and every motorist in the country. If it is available, provide it!
    Laws dont pertain to the Kings men. Now pick up that can citizen!
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

7+ Year Old Account
    I do occasionally talk on the phone while driving but I use my car bluetooth for it. Before I had a car with bluetooth I used a hands free headset.

Deleted
    I have never understood why you'd need to use a phone while driving. Turn your phone completely off when you get behind the wheel, and then turn it back on when you're done. Amazingly enough, we did just fine for decades driving without phones, or other such gadgets.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Take away people's license for doing it. They are endangering lives.
    You technically do this just putting the car on the road. Ban cars altogether?

I always enjoy the facebook, news were there is a driver filming someone else doing something wrong...

How the hell can using hands free voice commands be a bigger distraction than looking down at your radio or navigating a complex menu? One doesn't require you to take your eyes off the road or focus on something else, the other requires you to do exactly that. This is dumb, and nope distraction isn't getting worse because we have hands free systems stopping people looking at their phones while driving.

With a bluetooth connection to your car you can talk on the phone no different to someone sitting next to you while driving, and speaking. Texting while driving has been a thing since the 1990s, technology is moving to the point where people no longer have a need to do it, so breaking the law or not there should be a reduction in incidents.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2017-07-15 at 05:17 AM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

There was that, albeit not exactly extensive, episode on mythbusters. On it just talking, specifically formulating an answer to a question that was just asked slowed your ability to react more than being drunk. It suggests hands free, or even talking to someone next to you is dangerous while driving.

I realize they were trying to make the graphic more visually appealing or catching to the eye, but shouldn't there not even be a bar for "Driving only"? If theres any level of distraction you clearly aren't only driving.

Not just drivers, Pedestrians too. Pedestrians needs to have some laws.

There was this woman, who messaging, going through a red pedestrian light, stopped 2 cars, and the 3rd (on third lane) actually hit her. Good Riddance to be honest. I hope the Driver sues the living shit out of that woman. Or, have a law, where you get FINED for not checking the pedestrian crossings.

There are no accidents on road.

when you have shitheads like the above video, throw them in jail, and take away their license forever. That would be the best punishment.

In Canada if you run over someone you can claim mental illness and you can usually avoid jail time.

It's a huge problem. More laws won't help because there aren't enough police on the roads to enforce them, and it's just too easy for people to grab their phone and not be responsible. When sitting in a spot where you can view traffic, it's plain to see at least 1/3 or more drivers are on their phone either talking or texting.

The *only* answer to this is self driving cars. Not only will they let people text, get drunk and do whatever, but it will take the stress out of driving.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Good thing you were looking. That's another issue I have. I feel like pedestrians have too much trust in cars and they don't pay enough attention when they cross the street.

That reminded me of another incident though. This one was earlier this year. This guy pulled out right in front of me to do a U-turn. He realized I was coming right at him and stopped in the middle of my lane. There was nobody driving next to me so I was able to switch lanes really quickly and avoid him, otherwise I would have smashed right into his side. He pulled up next to me at the next stop light and apologized and then immediately after that he pulled out his cell phone and started texting. That was just like 'are you fucking kidding me?' moment. You just nearly got into an accident because you weren't paying enough attention, probably texting, and then immediately afterwards you stop paying attention again? Fuck...
    Holy shit that is crazy!

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    My mom got 6 tickets because she can never stop talking on the phone while driving even when I set up the car Bluetooth for her.

Only way is to stop this is to revoke driving licenses or impound the car.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, these assholes need to lose their license, ASAP. already got hit twice by these idiots and the first one had the audacity to yell at me while still having the fucking phone in his hands. It's unreal how careless these people are.