Poll: Make Legion a faction?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lightbulb Legion as a faction.

Hey people, just thought of an idea. Could be really bad, could be really good.

What if the Legion survives for now (as it seems like it will), and in some expansion (perhaps the next) we get the choice to join them, thus creating a third faction in WoW, which will be PvPvE in a way. We could make this game a bit more RPG-like.

Stay with the Alliance, stay with the Horde, or choose to join the Legion. Making choices as players could affect the game for everyone. We could get into a place that we have to fight, say, Khadgar, or Thrall, and the next expansion will be focused on the outcome of that.

I realise it's a really hard to achieve idea, and I suppose (as it's usually fitting) I'm gonna see quite a lot of hate comments below, :P , but give me your thoughts/expand on it.

Cheers!

Have always wanted a third faction, but not Legion.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    I think story-wise it would be very difficult to implement. The horde and alliance are both good and evil at the same time. This makes for a lot of interesting storytelling and gameplay due to the grey areas in between and their interactions. The Legion would need a massive plot twist to suddenly be presented as having good aspects. At best you could argue they could be placed under the leadership of Illidan or demon hunters in general, to create an uneasy alliance between sworn enemies. Having a stand-alone faction without any connection to the two current ones, and without any question who is the bad guy sounds very boring to me.

Deleted
    I started WoW from Dark Age of Camelot, which had 3 factions. If it's played right it could be a MASSIVE boon to PvP. The element of working with the other faction to defeat the third, knowing they could turn on you at any time etc was always super cool.

Not sure it would work with the age of WoW. It feels too 'settled' at this stage and so many game mechanics would need to be altered to allow it.

If Legion were to become a playable faction, I'd rather play as demon races like Nathrezim, Sayaad, Shivarra, Annihilan, Wrathguard, Aranasi, or Ered'ruin.

Having two factions wasn't even really a very good idea.

I say to everyone that we need sargeras's help to fight with void so it's not that hard for legion to accept us when the founder of it is okay with it. Typcal blizz thing, beat the guy hard until he becomes the good guy again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Having two factions wasn't even really a very good idea.
    What do you mean 'not good idea'? The entire game is based on a faction war, lol. It was the idea.

That said, where the game is now factions make less and less sense from a practical standpoint if not a lore one. 3rd barrier would be a pretty bad move..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulbalance View Post
    What do you mean 'not good idea'? The entire game is based on a faction war, lol. It was the idea.

That said, where the game is now factions make less and less sense from a practical standpoint if not a lore one. 3rd barrier would be a pretty bad move..
    Well, actually the game has been about the factions teaming up to defeat a greater evil (with the occasional squabble that never leads anywhere) since WC3.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowyb View Post
    I say to everyone that we need sargeras's help to fight with void so it's not that hard for legion to accept us when the founder of it is okay with it. Typcal blizz thing, beat the guy hard until he becomes the good guy again
    just fyi, sargeras aint the founder of BL

Quote Originally Posted by CyferMax View Post
    I started WoW from Dark Age of Camelot, which had 3 factions. If it's played right it could be a MASSIVE boon to PvP. The element of working with the other faction to defeat the third, knowing they could turn on you at any time etc was always super cool.

Not sure it would work with the age of WoW. It feels too 'settled' at this stage and so many game mechanics would need to be altered to allow it.
    Blizzard would have to completely rebalance and create a system to handle population differences. Otherwise it would crash and burn. Some servers are already ruined, since people all flock to a single faction.

As for being a PVE faction, I don't think it would work. Again, Blizzard would have to completely rebalance everything. Horde and Alliance already do all the same quests, aimed at overcoming evil and preserving Azeroth or whatever. The Legion is bent on destroying everyhing, which would require writing completely different quests for them. There's no way Blizzard is going to put that much time in.

Game is way to late into its cycle to suddenly throw in a third faction. Odds are higher of them making the horde and alliance a single faction to stop population splinter and unite against a big bad than it is to further devide the population (and those odds are PISS poor). To much time to rebalance. To much reworking the world. To many new assests needed. Just to much for to little gain. They learned in Cata that huge projects for little gain aren't worth it with the whole reworking of the old world scheme.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Restors View Post
    just fyi, sargeras aint the founder of BL
    Yes he is?

He put all the demons on these 'prison worlds' when he realised he couldn't just kill them all, then after wrecking the other titans decided he needed an army so he freed them and made them his army. The individual demons and their own factions existed beforehand but Sargeras brought them together to form the Burning Legion...

Quote Originally Posted by CyferMax View Post
    Yes he is?

He put all the demons on these 'prison worlds' when he realised he couldn't just kill them all, then after wrecking the other titans decided he needed an army so he freed them and made them his army. The individual demons and their own factions existed beforehand but Sargeras brought them together to form the Burning Legion...
    Where did you get your source? Sargeras got corrupted by the Dreadlords, and that turned him into stop believing in the Titans and their vision of order. Sargeras pretty much just tag teamed up with the demons. So no, I would never call Sargeras as "Founder".

Where did you get your source? Sargeras got corrupted by the Dreadlords, and that turned him into stop believing in the Titans and their vision of order. Sargeras pretty much just tag teamed up with the demons. So no, I would never call Sargeras as "Founder".
    The Burning Legion (aka the Legion, occasionally referred to as the Legion Forces, and the Burning Shadow or great burning shadow and the Infinite Army) is a vast, innumerable army of demons and corrupted races who seek to destroy all life. Sargeras created it with the purpose of destroying all world-souls in the universe in order to prevent the void lords from corrupting them, which would lead to the birth of a Dark Titan, a being of unspeakable evil that would utterly annihilate and consume the universe.

Chronicle Volume 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

The Legion honestly had its chance to be a new faction, chances are, if we ever see a new one now, its going to be old god related.

A third faction could have worked, but they would have had to introduce it right after Wrath, when the game was in it's high day. Or right at the start.

Now, scooping players away from the Horde and Alliance, dividing the community even further, just isn't a good option. Not for a slowly shrinking game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    The Burning Legion (aka the Legion, occasionally referred to as the Legion Forces, and the Burning Shadow or great burning shadow and the Infinite Army) is a vast, innumerable army of demons and corrupted races who seek to destroy all life. Sargeras created it with the purpose of destroying all world-souls in the universe in order to prevent the void lords from corrupting them, which would lead to the birth of a Dark Titan, a being of unspeakable evil that would utterly annihilate and consume the universe.

Chronicle Volume 1
    Oh my lord, Blizzard actually changed the lore. Before Chronicles, Twisting Nether and Fel were part of the universe since the Dawn of time. When Titans saw the demons consuming endless worlds, thats when Titans decided to do something about it, and appointed Sargeras as their champion to defeat them. Upon defeating the dreadlords lefted too much corruption on him, which made him go crazy and joined up.

So according to Chronicles, Sargeras didnt get corrupted. He just changed his mind and used Burning Legion as army against Void. Oh well.

In the latest canon lore, Sargeras lost hope when he found an unborn Titan world, infected with an Old God and the power of the void. He gained information from Dread Lords present there, basking in that world's dark power, learning more of the plans of the Void Lords, behind the plan to form a Dark Titan. But the demons didn't corrupt him.

He came to believe the path of the Titans was doomed to fail because of the Void Lords. That burning down every world was the only way to prevent their victory. Driven by this fear, he freed the demons from the prison world where he and Aggramar had been sealing them to prevent their resurrection. The fel released when he sundered the prison overwhelmed and corrupted him, changing him into the monster his dark crusade would require to accomplish its unholy goal of murdering and twisting every life form and world in the universe.

He empowered the demons, and gave these unorganized monsters the choice to die or unite beneath his banner, becoming his Legion. Even then, the demons proved difficult to lead alone, so Sargeras recruited the Eredar to be his generals, to bring more order and strategy to his Legion, and fully dedicate them to his Burning Crusade.

So yes, Sargeras is definitely the founder. Demons existed before, as creatures of chaos and corruption. But they were out for themselves. They weren't on a crusade to burn down all worlds on a galactic scale. Nor were they a united force. Becoming a Legion on a Burning Crusade would never have happened without Sargeras. And without him and the mighty Eredar generals we've destroyed, there's no way the Legion can effectively continue to exist. For demons are inherently chaotic and self-serving. And none will be left about with the power, charisma and strategic mind needed to lead the Legion unopposed and successfully.