Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post
    No, how about something more AMERICAN like HEINZ or FRENCHZ (lol holy shit rofl)

A la the obama mustard "debacle" I think you're hinting at. ;p
    Commie Atheist Muslim Satanist OBAMA!
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Man this US show called "The Trump Presidency" is worse than harem anime. I hope it finally gets somewhere because all the teasing and unresolved plot strings start to cause me to lose interest. Not to mention all the plot holes.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2017-07-21 at 05:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Man this US show called "The Trump Presidency" is worse than harem anime. I hope it finally gets somewhere because all the teasing and unresolved plot strings start to cause me to lose interest. Not to mention all the plot holes.
    Sadly unless they improve the plot greatly or retcon this whole season, it'll probably be cancelled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchles View Post
    I wish I could say that Trump no longer surprises me, but this is unbelievably disturbing.
    What's wrong with him seeking clarification as to what his legal options are?

Sounds like something a smart businessman would do - know all your options.
    Last edited by mmocc836e66a65; 2017-07-21 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post

Sounds like something a smart businessman would do - consider all options.
    Why does he need to consider it as an option if he's innocent?

Sounds like something a smart businessman would do - consider all options.
    Nothing.

But let's be clear. It won't work.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/05/19/...investigation/

Trump knows the noose is tightening.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    The president being allowed to pardon himself is insane. How did the law get passed that way? What morons thought that was a good idea?
    Technically the only crime a President can't pardon is impeachment. I believe it was always controversial even among the Founders.

But many of the US's systems of checks and balances appear to be based on the assumption of a rational actor. Any President who used a Presidential pardon on his close family would be committing career suicide. Trump cares not a whit for that.

If this catastrophe has illustrated anything, it's how incredibly weak the checks on executive power are, and how desperately in need of reform the US political system is to combat corruption.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    It's politics, it moves at about the speed as George R. R. Martin publishes books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Technically the only crime a President can't pardon is impeachment. I believe it was always controversial even among the Founders.

But many of the US's systems of checks and balances appear to be based on the assumption of a rational actor. Any President who used a Presidential pardon on his close family would be committing career suicide. Trump cares not a whit for that.

If this catastrophe has illustrated anything, it's how incredibly weak the checks on executive power are, and how desperately in need of reform the US political system is to combat corruption.
    I've been thinking about this on and off this week.

After Trump, I can think of half a dozen constitutional ammendments we need to modernize our checks and balances.

Three in particular I think are relevant here.
    - It's insane to me that the Department of Justice, the FBI and the Attorney General are all political positions attached to the Executive branch, rather than non-political positions attached to Judicial Branch. The execution of the nation's law enforcement should not be political in nature.

-The power of the President to remove subordinates and cover-up wrongdoing is far too kingly and needs substantial reform. For example, if the President elects to fire the FBI director, it should only be valid upon a majority vote in the Senate confirming it. Something like that.

-The entire White House national security apparatus (namely the National Security Council) and the National Security Adviser, along with all these other powerful, unelected and not-voted-on-by-the-senate White House advisors ALL need to go away. When the NSC had a staff of 20 people, it made sense. WHen it has a staff of 400 people, and not subject to a confirmation of vote, it became too powerful.

10+ Year Old Account

There is nothing wrong with it, other than admitting that these fake news stories, do contain an option that is real enough to seek the information.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    After Trump, I can think of half a dozen constitutional ammendments we need to modernize our checks and balances.
    May as well look into regulation surrounding the election procedures.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    May as well look into regulation surrounding the election procedures.
    They need to switch everything to absentee ballots. Nothing else needs to change. The solution to our election problem, is people voting. Just about everything else I see in bitching about voting is just partisan crap. Even with gerrymandering, even if one side does it more, it's always going to be a partisan issue.

The goal should always be increasing the voter turn out. I personally favor compulsory voting... learn from advertisers... ding those who don't vote by increasing their federal taxes by 5%, but sell it as a 5% cut in taxes for those who vote.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account

Let me know when the orchestra starts playing that real somber number on the deck. I love that one.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    They need to switch everything to absentee ballots. Nothing else needs to change. The solution to our election problem, is people voting. Just about everything else I see in bitching about voting is just partisan crap. Even with gerrymandering, even if one side does it more, it's always going to be a partisan issue.

The goal should always be increasing the voter turn out. I personally favor compulsory voting... learn from advertisers... ding those who don't vote by increasing their federal taxes by 5%, but sell it as a 5% cut in taxes for those who vote.
    The amount of money pouring in to campaigns is a pretty big election issue and it should be non-partisan.

At the very least, the first step needs to be preventing donations from outside the district/state that someone is running for congress/senate in. They're to represent their constituents, not some PAC from halfway across the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    They need to switch everything to absentee ballots. Nothing else needs to change. The solution to our election problem, is people voting.
    That is a good point, although I really had all that bitching about photo IDs in mind.

- - - Updated - - -

The amount of money pouring in to campaigns is a pretty big election issue and it should be non-partisan.

At the very least, the first step needs to be preventing donations from outside the district/state that someone is running for congress/senate in. They're to represent their constituents, not some PAC from halfway across the country.
    Meh. They'd find straw men to funnel the money.

France has it right. We should modify and adopt

-Cap on how much a campaign can raise (lets say $150 million for President, $3 million for Senate, $1.5 million for a house seat). Exceeding cap = disqualification.

-A ban on political advertising by special interests groups (or PAC spending counts to the $150 million cap)

-Cap on how many days elected officials can spend fundraising.

-Regulated rate setting for political advertising on TV and Cable so campaigns don't NEED to raid millions of dollars in the first place.

-Reduce the individual contribution cap to $200, indexed to inflation.

- A lifetime ban on lobbying of you're an elected official, you can never become a registered lobbyist.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post

Meh. They'd find straw men to funnel the money.
    Would also like to see only donations under a certain amount and only from private citizens(no PACs, no corporations) with harsh penalties for violating the law.

The corruption has to end.

- - - Updated - - -

France has it right. We should modify and adopt

-Cap on how much a campaign can raise (lets say $150 million for President, $3 million for Senate, $1.5 million for a house seat). Exceeding cap = disqualification.

-A ban on political advertising by special interests groups (or PAC spending counts to the $150 million cap)

-Cap on how many days elected officials can spend fundraising.

-Regulated rate setting for political advertising on TV and Cable so campaigns don't NEED to raid millions of dollars in the first place.

-Reduce the individual contribution cap to $200, indexed to inflation.

- A lifetime ban on lobbying of you're an elected official, you can never become a registered lobbyist.
    These would be good rules to adopt. Would also reduce the insanity of elections.

I enjoy that he's also reportedly having his own lawyers investigating Mueller and his people.

I swear he's speed running Nixon on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I enjoy that he's also reportedly having his own lawyers investigating Mueller and his people.

I swear he's speed running Nixon on this.
    It is something magical.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Basically seems like an admission of guilt.
    I think Trump is guilty of som wrongdoing. But its common that board of directors get "freedom of responsibility" after they quite. They do not want to be entangled in some judicial battel years later. Not that the shareholders do not give "freedom of responsibility" if they suspect wrongdoing.

Problem with this part is that they just give the lobbyist another titel and call him a ''marketing executive'' or something. SO they kind of do everything a lobbyist does except they don't call that person a lobbyist.

Europe has lobbyist ofc but the influence isn't a fraction of what you see in the US. We recently got rid of roaming 0even thought the lobbying towards that was extreme from not just companies but also certain countries that profited the most.