Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    The laws in Florida allows you to do nothing, but not all states/countries follow that. You don't have to physically rescue the person(s), but if you are able to get help (call 911, etc), you by law are required to, and can face prosecution if you decide not to.
    Yeah, obviously their behavior is morally reprehensible, especially standing around videotaping it without making any effort to contact police, even after the fact...

But to call it murder or manslaughter completely ignores what those charges entail. "Negligent Homicide", means that *your* negligence resulted in the foreseeable death of another person... *NOT* another person deciding to drive drunk, and then crashing their car into a tree near you while you watched them die.

The second consideration here, is that "mandating" lifesaving measures endangers the populace the laws should protect as well. I'm certainly not defending these kids, but its not uncommon for amateurs to try to save a drowning victim to end up drowning themselves. There was a mom a few years back that dove in to save her child after they didn't surface immediately, the child ended up not needing help... but the mom didn't surface and drowned. Its not out of the realm of possibility for someone who didn't have the foresight to avoid drowning in a pond to be a danger to anyone that might want to save them.

There *should* be some sort of obstruction of justice charge though, its a shame if Florida really allows you to witness a death and not even report it. I mean... you're legally obligated to report most fender-benders even if there's no injuries... why shouldn't people be expected to report a death ?

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    There *should* be some sort of obstruction of justice charge though, its a shame if Florida really allows you to witness a death and not even report it. I mean... you're legally obligated to report most fender-benders even if there's no injuries... why shouldn't people be expected to report a death ?
    It should be noted, according to the statute quoted in the posts before yours, that a duty to report a death does exist in Florida's legal code.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    what are you trying to say there aren't dick heads in every generation?
    At least other generations tried to be anonymous when they did something wrong. This generation seems to take in enjoyment in seeing just how far they can blatantly push the boundaries and get away with it.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

Quote Originally Posted by RyanEX View Post
    At least other generations tried to be anonymous when they did something wrong.
    That... That doesn't make it better at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    But they could've called 911, I'm sure one of them had a phone.
    But then how would they film the dude drowning???????? Dey finna get dere WORLD STARRRRRRRRRRRR on, bruh.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn. Pretty cruel, even by my standards. But what else do you expect from people raised on the trailer trash/ghetto lifestyle?
    Last edited by The One Percent; 2017-07-21 at 10:07 PM.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why am I eerily reminded of that Phil Collins song In The Air Tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I was thinking that, like 20% of the population can't swim. Also even if you can swim trying to save a drowning man is very dangerous and a good way to get yourself killed.

But they could've called 911, I'm sure one of them had a phone.
    They were obviously too busy filming it, gotta gather them likes and retweets on the social medias... as we all know kids now days all about those facebooks and twitters...

No rewards for saving people, but watching them die and filming it will make them an obvious internet hero...
    Last edited by Orby; 2017-07-21 at 10:22 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

I wouldn't have gone swimming myself (unless I could clearly see it was shallow water). Still, dialing 911 isn't dangerous unless you have an explosive Samsung Note 7. I would have put 911 on speed dial while trying to make a lifeline with me and my friends shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaice View Post
    they are facing a misdemeanor charge under Florida Statute 406.12 now.
    Source?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    I wouldn't have gone swimming myself (unless I could clearly see it was shallow water). Still, dialing 911 isn't dangerous unless you have an explosive Samsung Note 7. I would have put 911 on speed dial while trying to make a lifeline with me and my friends shirts.
    What's the 911 response time?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    What's the 911 response time?
    Depends on how close the nearest officer is. Did they even make an attempt?

Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    Not that I'm aware of. People actually tend to get into trouble if they get involved before the authorities. I've heard stories of good Samaritans who were sued by the people they saved because of "X" injury they caused in the life-saving process.

Then my best wishes to you that no one is lethally threatened within the circumference of your person.

Why? Why should it be illegal to put your own safety above others?
    Calling 911 doesn't put your safety at risk. Unless you think your cellphone is getting ready to explode right next to your head.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Depends on how close the nearest officer is. Did they even make an attempt?
    Nice dodge. It would take way too much time for 911 to respond. And they weren't required to call it. Also they are not even 18, so probably that 911 call itself might have taken longer due to operator thinking it's a prank.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakred View Post
    Calling 911 doesn't put your safety at risk.
    Calling 911 under these circumstances would have no chance whatsoever of saving the man's life, and would be nothing more than informing the authorities for corpse retrieval.

Which, apparently, they did have a legal obligation to do. So, there's that.

At least other generations tried to be anonymous when they did something wrong. This generation seems to take in enjoyment in seeing just how far they can blatantly push the boundaries and get away with it.
    Not saying it does, just pointing out things've degenerated from feeling the need to hide wrongdoing to doing it openly without fear of punishment. How often do we shit done, for the lulz, posted on Facebook? People just don't care anymore.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

yes..."teens"....like i didnt know what this was just by that phrase

Nice dodge. It would take way too much time for 911 to respond. And they weren't required to call it. Also they are not even 18, so probably that 911 call itself might have taken longer due to operator thinking it's a prank.
    I....uhh what?

Not a dodge, had a police response under a few minutes after a fender bender myself. Tell 911 that someone is drowning and any nearby police will be there. That part I bolded is the dodge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispraise View Post
    Calling 911 under these circumstances would have no chance whatsoever of saving the man's life, and would be nothing more than informing the authorities for corpse retrieval.
    I'm thinking that few people here know how 911 dispatches work.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    they only tried to be anonymous because they didn't all have smart phones.

Hey atleast now florida might have a good samaritan law, you know usually Red states dont like getting government involved, but you know the conditions of this case "specifically" might make them want to put these people specifically in jail, but im sure there is many un reported cases of similar situations of people refusing to help someone in need, who knows? but because of a "specific" uh quality of these particular teenagers i bet you republicans will be all up on criminalizing it now, and yeah they deserve it, it was wrong and should be criminal! everyone wants to bring up that one specific trait the teenagers had, and focus way tooo much on it, the victim had that same trait, are you saying because everyone like that is bad, then why do you care they didnt help, of course they should of done something!