Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

WoW in VR needs to happen

After playing with this, this HAS to happen. It's really magical. Probably one of my best VR experiences. You'd think the scales would be off, but things are about as big as you'd expect them to be. Blood Elfs are ~ 6'2, Gnomes look like butch 5 year olds. Seeing a dragon fly by was pretty awesome. The Lich King was like 10-12 feet tall. Various statues around Dal are bigger than you realize in game, but in the right way. Saw an Alliance Gunship flying in Icecrown as well.

One thing I noticed was all the little details that I never payed attention to. Really on everything. Little markings and rune symbols, little pieces of art I never really saw are very apparent. Little things that were ignored before become more significant. I'm not saying it would necessarily be viable to do much more than sight-seeing, but neither was the NVIDIA 3D Vision. This was only in first but 3rd person actually works well in VR as well. It'd be doable to project the UI in front of you and play like that.

I visited Wrath Dal, Stormwind, Goldshire, Ironforge (though it wasn't done), and still need to try the Org one. I'm almost convinced that if a WoW dev were to try this they would push for it as much as they could. I don't know how big of an undertaking it would be, but if it's manageable it would be worth it.

Couple more vids:
    SW - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=317jqyz8wHs
    Tomb of Sargeras ship - https://youtu.be/8YexCed0ReM
    He's going to do Thunder Bluff too I think.

That doesn't look interesting at all. VR has it's place but not in wow. I'd personally never play wow in VR.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisxor View Post
    That doesn't look interesting at all. VR has it's place but not in wow. I'd personally never play wow in VR.
    Try this then tell me that.
    1 thing to remember about VR: watching videos don't do it justice.
    I'm not saying it would replace the 2D experience. I'd still raid and stuff like that. But VR would honestly renew the entire game to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    unfortunately, I think VR is doomed to be a fun gadget that we get bored of because of the fact that it's 1st person only (3rd person is plain superior for wow and most games), until we managed somehow to plug it into our brain and make us feel new things

see you in 50 years for the real vr I'd say :P

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is there a guide to do this?
    I'm HOT for HOTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Garneth View Post
    There's a download link for the Dal one in the YouTube description. I just added it to my steam library and launched from in VR. It's done by a single guy mostly for fun I think, so it's a little rough as far as optimization but if your pc is half decent it's not too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    unfortunately, I think VR is doomed to be a fun gadget that we get bored of because of the fact that it's 1st person only (3rd person is plain superior for wow and most games), until we managed somehow to plug it into our brain and make us feel new things

see you in 50 years for the real vr I'd say :P
    Nah, once the FoV and resolution gets a little better, which it should in the next gen, it'll be more legit than it is already.
    A game like Luckys tale works really well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9glTUNyyOE, and there's others.
    Again not saying it'd replace a screen, but it's a completely different experience.
    Last edited by Dormie; 2017-07-21 at 11:28 PM.

Deleted
    Like... it's funny for a little bit to sight see, but you can't play the game like that. So, no. I hope that doesn't happen cause it would be a waste of development time.

Doesn't seem very impressive to me. You could probably play a Gnome or Goblin and zoom all the way in and get most of that experience. VR might be awesome in games with realistic graphics or amazing vistas, but WoW really has neither.

If blizz came out with a wow 2 with next gen graphics then VR wow could become the next big thing MMO wise. I mean to walk around brill with ultra realistic graphics would be orgasmic and swinging a big ass sword or fireing a bow would be sweet.

VR with wow graphics looks like it would give me a headache and its not really that impressive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone saying this isn't impressive obviously hasn't played in VR, you have no idea what it's like when you are watching someone else do it. It's on a whole new level once you're inside yourself. I agree that it's a waste of money and time developing this for WoW, though. Not enough people have VR.

Quote Originally Posted by Phumbles View Post
    Try this then tell me that.
    1 thing to remember about VR: watching videos don't do it justice.
    I'm not saying it would replace the 2D experience. I'd still raid and stuff like that. But VR would honestly renew the entire game to me.
    "for you", that is the point.
    It doesnt "need to happen".

Given what I deem to still be a huge cost barrier to many, I can't see the investment by blizzard to be worthwhile as it would be a very small number able to utilise it.
    Look at the minimum requirements, and think about what must be involved in supporting such old hardware.
    That is reasonably thought to be because low-end hardware represents a financially significant number of the wow players.

As well as the equipment in general, WoW sucks for utilisation of modern hardware, particularly on the CPU.

There are many things I want to see improved first, particularly on performance.
    Lower the cost barrier in terms of hardware for a "good" gameplay experience first, then consider "eye-candy".

Quote Originally Posted by Garneth View Post
    That isn't doable in the current game.
    That is simply an independant application using the game resources, for dalaran in that case.
    Hence the lack of anything actually happening, no NPC's etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserage View Post
    Everyone saying this isn't impressive obviously hasn't played in VR, you have no idea what it's like when you are watching someone else do it. It's on a whole new level once you're inside yourself. I agree that it's a waste of money and time developing this for WoW, though. Not enough people have VR.
    Dismissing other peoples views because they don't "feel it" the same way you do is an awful argument.
    Though I agree on the number actually able to utilise it being a disincentive.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2017-07-22 at 01:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would really be cool for pet battles and rp'ing.

Um... how about no?

They can make games where this is supported, rather than changing a current game to support it. I couldn't imagine doing anything other than sightseeing with VR in this game, and I don't consider that to be a good enough reason to claim that it "needs" to happen...

- - - Updated - - -

I've tried VR, so you'd be wrong.

I won't consider it impressive until VR actually becomes such, with sensations and the lot.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've tried VR, it's not that great. How would you move in WoW? Point warping would feel terrible in a MMORPG and using a controller would be disorienting and cause a lot of motion sickness.

There are games that work well with VR, WoW will not be one of them.

Besides, if we can't get DX12 or Vulkan support - why in the world would we get VR? Let's get the engine to multithread before we even discuss VR.

- - - Updated - - -

Have played VR - its not that special. Played all of Batman, a few tech demos and part of Resident Evil. It's not worth the money.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

I just watched the first 14 seconds of that video and felt nauseous. I hate first person games. Only time I zoom into first person in WoW is when I'm looking for something tiny. Beyond that, I can't tolerate not seeing my character. Closest third person game I tolerate is the Mass Effect series and even that makes me nauseous at times. I have to be able to see my toon's feet.

VR is nothing but a fad. It's like 3D movies. They were all the rage a few decades ago, fell out of style, came back, and will likely fall out of style again soon enough. VR will fall off the radar soon enough.

If they ever invent a working holodeck, I'd be in line for that. But VR? Hell no. That's just a waste of development time and money for such little return.

Deleted
    I have to say, that looks amazing for downtime and would be great when not doing combat. Just seeing everything in scale and all the detail would be amazing.

As of right now, yes. VR is very limited, both technologically and socially (i.e. not enough people have it). I've watched VR multiplayer games streamed and the streams are funny and amusing, but really don't sell it for me much.

One day, sure. Absolutely. But in the near future, no.

Who would play WoW in first-person?

I imagine it would be interesting to do some sightseeing for a short while, but would quickly get old. It's not really a format that supports games like WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    I've tried VR, it's not that great. How would you move in WoW? Point warping would feel terrible in a MMORPG and using a controller would be disorienting and cause a lot of motion sickness.

There are games that work well with VR, WoW will not be one of them.

Besides, if we can't get DX12 or Vulkan support - why in the world would we get VR? Let's get the engine to multithread before we even discuss VR.

- - - Updated - - -

Have played VR - its not that special. Played all of Batman, a few tech demos and part of Resident Evil. It's not worth the money.
    >"I've tried VR"
    >PSVR

Rofl