noctua 2x200 vs 2x140mm

I got the Corsair Graphite 780T case. I'm playing around with OC. Recently got my 7700k to 5.0GHz BUT..

I would like to see if I can remove a few degrees on the CPU itself by adding noctua fans.

Right now I got the stock 2x 140 fans in front and it's those I want to replace with the noctua.

Would the 2x200mm fans be better for the intake vs. 2x140mm??

In my head it goes like: The colder the air intake can make --> into the case --> into the CPU fan --> = lower cpu temp, right??

Thanks!

You wont notice "few degrees" off by replacing intake fans, there wont be any difference, maybe with godly luck and a change in room temperature you will save 1, maybe 2C which will amount to room temperature and not the fan themselves.

Really?! So you guys are saying there is no point in replacing the stock front fans with noctua?! :O God dammit.. :/

You need to have negative pressure in your system, or well that is one of the better aims. Have more rmps in the back then the front. Say you got 1 fan in the back and 2 in th efront, the back is running 1000 rpm and the 2 front are in total 800 rpm you get more hot air out. other way around is less efficient ( so 800 vs 1000 )
    Now that said, 200mm fans will of course move more air then 140mm fans, there is just more area being worked with, but unless you got it balanced right, it wont help.

I got 3 fans in the back, 2 in front, 3 in the back is a total of 2100 rpm and in the front 1400 rpm. So it sucks more :P
    Will it decrease your temp? Hmm a little but nothing major, water cooling might be a better choice to go (AIO ones).

*edit* stock fans are mostly a lot louder and move less air, so it is always a bonus to replace it with Noctua fans, but dont expect 10c off or something.

Hmmm I see! Right now I got all stock fans expect for top..

I got 1 back and 2 front. My plan was to replace the front ones to 2x200mm. The back I maybe should look into as well.. hmm!
    In the settings I got it all set to smart (auto)

Damn it's like a whole new project this here

Quote Originally Posted by Xofa View Post
    Hmmm I see! Right now I got all stock fans expect for top..

I got 1 back and 2 front. My plan was to replace the front ones to 2x200mm. The back I maybe should look into as well.. hmm!
    In the settings I got it all set to smart (auto)

Damn it's like a whole new project this here
    It isnt, most of the changes you will do will barely affect your CPU temps if you are having that much trouble, the only thing you can do is go to one of the good AIO watercoolers instead of wasting time with fans.

Even the best fans and the best airflow wont give you as much as you believe when you already have something semi-decent happening.

So ... all in all:

The only gain I would gain would be quieter fans / system and that's it? FeelsBadMan !

Watercooling is a no go.

That depends on your stock fans. Corsair stock fans are not bad at all in terms of performance, so the most you can do is probably make your system quieter.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    So ... all in all:

The only gain I would gain would be quieter fans / system and that's it? FeelsBadMan !

Watercooling is a no go.
    The only real gain you will get is lower temps on the GPU, but not by much. As others has said. you need a better cooler, if you want lower temps
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    You need to have negative pressure in your system, or well that is one of the better aims. Have more rmps in the back then the front. Say you got 1 fan in the back and 2 in th efront, the back is running 1000 rpm and the 2 front are in total 800 rpm you get more hot air out. other way around is less efficient ( so 800 vs 1000 ).
    My thought about negative pressure is it works so long as you put in the extra work to maintain the dust which will inevitably build up on your components since it's literally pulling air through every nook and cranny of the case rather than just the front. Negative eliminates "hot spots" better than positive but without proper maintenance the benefit will disappear to the point where it's a potential liability to the components.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-07-22 at 10:50 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

What case do you have that supports 2x 200mm? Holy Carp that thing must be mersive.

What CPU cooler are you currently using?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    What case do you have that supports 2x 200mm? Holy Carp that thing must be mersive.

What CPU cooler are you currently using?
    Was thinking the same thing. Most full towers can have 1x200mm/2-3x120mm or 2-3x140mm. Not even the Corsair 900D can have 2x200mm in the front and that case is HUGE
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

if you really want to shave off some (~10°) degrees your best bet is delidding the cpu an replace the ketchup under the ihs with liquid metal. everything else is most likely of homeopathic nature, when you're rocking a heatsink of the caliber of an nh-d14.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaim View Post
    if you really want to shave off some (~10°) degrees your best bet is delidding the cpu an replace the ketchup under the ihs with liquid metal. everything else is most likely of homeopathic nature, when you're rocking a heatsink of the caliber of an nh-d14.
    Yeah, your enemy is how thermally decoupled the core is from the cold plate of the CPU block, delidding is the best option you have for improving temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    My thought about negative pressure is it works so long as you put in the extra work to maintain the dust which will inevitably build up on your components since it's literally pulling air through every nook and cranny of the case rather than just the front. Negative eliminates "hot spots" better than positive but without proper maintenance the benefit will disappear to the point where it's a potential liability to the components.
    Yep, you want positive not negative pressure in an everyday system. The rpm approach is also far too simplistic as static presssure is increased by filters on the front intake and a lot of cases have large passive exhausts (which also become vacuum holes if you do try to run negative pressure, as these have less sp than a filtered hole).
    Last edited by mmoce90cf0ffae; 2017-07-23 at 08:51 AM.

I had it the wrong way around, indeed you want positive pressure not negative in most cases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NYHC3DXynM

15+ Year Old Account
    I got the Corsair Graphite 780T case. I'm playing around with OC. Recently got my 7700k to 5.0GHz BUT..

I would like to see if I can remove a few degrees on the CPU itself by adding noctua fans.

Right now I got the stock 2x 140 fans in front and it's those I want to replace with the noctua.

Would the 2x200mm fans be better for the intake vs. 2x140mm??

In my head it goes like: The colder the air intake can make --> into the case --> into the CPU fan --> = lower cpu temp, right??

Thanks!
    You need to look at the specs for the case again m8

Front: (x3) 120mm or (x2) 140mm
    Top: (x3) 120mm or (x2) 140mm
    Rear: (x1) 120/140mm
    Bottom: (x2) 120mm

Synthaxx: Thanks a lot for your post! Very nice information indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    You need to look at the specs for the case again m8

Front: (x3) 120mm or (x2) 140mm
    Top: (x3) 120mm or (x2) 140mm
    Rear: (x1) 120/140mm
    Bottom: (x2) 120mm
    Well it's weird because on their official site it says nothing about 200m fans, however, if you open the case you can see it says 200mm, which is printed directly into the case = It is possible! There are even holes for it to go in. So there WILL be able to put 200mm fans in.

See:
    http://imgur.com/a/ZnaMg
    Last edited by Xofa; 2017-07-24 at 07:26 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Synthaxx: Thanks a lot for your post! Very nice information indeed!

Well it's weird because on their official site it says nothing about 200m fans, however, if you open the case you can see it says 200mm, which is printed directly into the case = It is possible! There are even holes for it to go in. So there WILL be able to put 200mm fans in.

See:
    http://imgur.com/a/ZnaMg
    I did some google on the Corsair Graphite 780T and if you wanna fit 2x200mm fans in the front, you have to take out the HDD cage, to fit them and you might have to do some moding to fit them. not all 200mm fans fit. The Bitfenix spectre PRO LED does not fit even with some moding, But Corsair and cooler master 200mm fans fits with a little moding

When you say moding what exactly do you mean by that? The HDD cage are already gone

15+ Year Old Account
    When you say moding what exactly do you mean by that? The HDD cage are already gone
    It meens that you might have to modify the front of the case a little to make them fit 100%