Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I miss the hair metal days
    You need to back up 5-10 years. 80s hair metal sucked hairy goat balls. We all made fun of those girly posers.

7+ Year Old Account
    I definitely feel that I fall into the "old man" category like the OP seems to.

After reading through the posts, I'm curious to see: what recent music, recent as in the past 3-5 years, do some of you think is "good" music?

If you think all music is bad then you're applying almost no effort in looking for good music. You're only scratching the surface of what's out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    finding good music is a quest that you can never finish in my opinion, given how many things there is to listen nowadays, but be happy, we probably have it easier than music lovers in 2117

You said 20 years? You are clearly not looking very hard for good music.

I've also got a few assorted channels I listen to like Chris Haron (AKA "TheDashDub") which I've always found perfect for falling asleep to.

Or just video game soundtracks in general. Night In The Woods being the most recent, pick darn near any music piece from that game and I can listen to it for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are so much choice now. Get out of the pop echo chamber and you'll find a lot of incredible gems.

I personally love to listen to VGOST. A lot of them are incredibly creative and don't remove your focus from what you're doing.

If I had to say the amount of time I've listened to the Draenei's starting area OST when trying to wind down, I'd say that it's well over a thousand time.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    there is tidbits of good music now...but if you ever grew up in the 80's..everything is shit though.
    Then listen to 80s-style music, like TWRP or Retrowave or whatever.

Deleted
    There's way better music now that it was 20 years ago. Reason for that is that people with talent have it a lot easier today to record their music and publish it.

Just because you prefer older 'popular' songs instead of today's 'popular' songs, doesn't mean the music is bad ...

What people fail to realize is that if you truly were interested in music, you would search for it. I listen to a lot of music, most of it is not actually underground per se, but not as popular as music you hear on the radio 24/7. There is so much great music out there! I feel like going on a treasure hunt when I have my periods of searching for new music. It's simply amazing when you hear new styles of music expression.

Not to be rude or anything, but I laugh so hard when I hear people say how Bohemian Rhapsody from Queen has amazing lyrics compared to today's music. Those people have clearly no idea what kind of music there is out there. Bohemian Rhapsody lyrics are absolutely nothing compared to some of the more lyrics heavy bands, and I'm not talking about rap.

As I posted elsewhere;
    It's fascinating to me to regard the history of music and see/hear just how things have changed since the Jazz age and Swing (which probably originated the "getting into the groove" of music.) The Andrew Sisters made a big splash in the 40s, but it was the 50s that things took off. I think things took an interesting turn in the 60s and saw a lot of experimenting in styles, R&B, Soul music, Folk music would also make its way into the mainstream. Country music for a while seemed to dominate. But Rock was hitting it out the park. Socio-political activism also was a big deal in music. And to cap it all off there was Woodstock in 1969.

But to me, the 70s...that was a decade of music in transition and I'm damn glad to have lived through it for the music if nothing else. (First time a person would ever a song on the radio that made it all the way to the top five...and it was sung in Spanish; Eres Tu...) There was just so much going on, stuff that bled from the prior decade and stuff that originated (Rap, Punk)...

A lot of today's music...well, the good stuff/garbage ratio seems a lot more imbalanced (I recall someone mentioning how Simon and Garfunkel stole "Cecilia" from the Vamps and I just shook my head..)

10+ Year Old Account
    there is tidbits of good music now...but if you ever grew up in the 80's..everything is shit though.
    Sup. I grew up in the 80s, but I'm also incredibly open minded. I like just about every genre of music. Honestly if I found myself in a position where I only liked a few different types of music or if I was stuck only liking older music I'd probably consider myself cursed. Would be so limited and dull. I love the impact that music has on my every day life, old and new.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 80s are the worst decade for music ever pal

10+ Year Old Account
    You got old.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    The same shit that happens every generation.
    Your generation's music is a gift from the gods, and everything after is an affront to god.

there's still fantastic music today just dont listen to pop shit in the radio

there's like 30 million genres with 50 million subgenres, there's literally a band for every single person on earth

if you dont like music from today yoU're either not looking hard enough or simply are just a cynical asshole for the sake of it
    the 80as had shitty popular music too fyi

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    I definitely feel that I fall into the "old man" category like the OP seems to.

After reading through the posts, I'm curious to see: what recent music, recent as in the past 3-5 years, do some of you think is "good" music?

Last edited by Hitei; 2017-07-23 at 03:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Time for feels

10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

of all the eras to hold up as the example of the best music ever... the 80s? Hair metal and bad synth?

not that there weren't good artists in the 80s but overall, yeesh

music when you are young gets associated with being a kid so it is better by association. Now you are an adult and you are more likely to like music that is sung by people you would probably like in real life. So is music worse now? yes, rap music drove it all into lazy, low talent, low discipline, cash grab, ghetto thug wanna be sewage.

Lot of stuff that just doesn't get any air-time. You just have to really dig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop listning to top 40 and expecting good music to be handed to you on a silver platter. Look around, go underground etc