Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I imagine the Undermine as an underground desert with minecart tracks connecting the different lawless towns run by the cartels.

So in my headcanon, that's Azeroth's Wild (Wild) West.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    I imagine the Undermine as an underground desert with minecart tracks connecting the different lawless towns run by the cartels.

So in my headcanon, that's Azeroth's Wild (Wild) West.
    This is a great idea. Would your headcanon involve pre-cata Barrens?

My headcanon: Tanaris, I just loved this place; Thousand Needles, then some strange creeps, such as aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ametaphysics View Post
    Wild West could work. Why? If they make something as loathsome as Panda and Kung fu be tolerable, why not Wild West. I have to confess I did not play MoP. However, the majority of WoW community did and some even found it pleasant.
    It shows. You have no idea what it actually was about, or what was even in it.

How would you define 'wild west'?

Like i said we got the barrens with a heavy native American feel and we got miners on the south side of the barrens like the old gold miners of old. Not sure how much more wild west blizz can implement.

Quote Originally Posted by trrujkgklg View Post

Like i said we got the barrens with a heavy native American feel and we got miners on the south side of the barrens like the old gold miners of old. Not sure how much more wild west blizz can implement.
    Saloons, 10 gallon hats, bank and/or train robberies, I would say gambling but that brings up issues with the Teen rating and possible legal issues in the US...

Quote Originally Posted by Miatog View Post
    Saloons, 10 gallon hats, bank and/or train robberies, I would say gambling but that brings up issues with the Teen rating and possible legal issues in the US...
    So goblin town?

Bilgewater harbor is that way >.>

I personally wouldn't be surprised if we suddenly got a Wild West themed expansion to Hearthstone at least. Seems like there'd be a bunch of silly things to do with that.

In WoW though I suppose it could be pretty cool with some of the elements. Now I wanna see a duel between two Hunters or Outlaw Rogues...

Make it happen, Blizz! XP

Quote Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
    I personally wouldn't be surprised if we suddenly got a Wild West themed expansion to Hearthstone at least. Seems like there'd be a bunch of silly things to do with that.
    Mean Streets of Gadgetzan was more or less that.

So goblin town?

Bilgewater harbor is that way >.>
    Gadgetzan would be closer IMO :P But eh, it's hard to see goblins as cowboys. Snake oil sales men sure, but not a proper cowboy. It's what's really missing from the OP's request. There's zones that cover aspects of typical WW themes, but the cowboy is what defines it most of all. There's nobody cattle rustling, no stand offs in the street at high noon, no train robberies. You could have everything that makes a good wild west setting but the cowboys, and it just won't feel like the wild west.

- - - Updated - - -

That was more 20s mafia.

That was more 20s mafia.
    Obviously.

I meant that we've already had a HS expansion about outlaws and robberies.

Gadgetzan would be closer IMO :P But eh, it's hard to see goblins as cowboys. Snake oil sales men sure, but not a proper cowboy. It's what's really missing from the OP's request. There's zones that cover aspects of typical WW themes, but the cowboy is what defines it most of all. There's nobody cattle rustling, no stand offs in the street at high noon, no train robberies. You could have everything that makes a good wild west setting but the cowboys, and it just won't feel like the wild west.

- - - Updated - - -

That was more 20s mafia.
    You cant have cattle drives when the cattle is your closest ally!!!

So all you got left is shady bars and cactus!

Badlands is, visually, an adaptation of the Sonoran Desert. However, the quests don't seem to match the setting (and the story is all but nonexistent as far as I can tell).
    The (classic) tauren zones have partial wild west influences since their race is inspired by the American Indians.
    Grizzly Hills is a mix of the Rocky Mountains (which I include in the notion of "wild west") and wild Siberia.
    Also, I've always thought that Westfall has a wild west vibe (or at least had before Cataclysm).

Basically, the wild west theme exists in WoW, but it's always subdued / mixed with other themes.

Edit: After thinking about it more, the old Bael'Modan questline in southern Barrens is a classic plot about European populations (dwarves) encroaching on Indian (tauren) territory and messing stuff up with their modern technology such as trains (flying machines).

I realise, however, that the list above is not exactly what OP had in mind.
    Last edited by BarosanuNr1; 2017-07-23 at 10:29 AM.

Definitely had a nice batch of Wild West elements at any rate so that does make it unlikely for an actual Wild West expansion.

Then again, kinda more exciting with non-traditional themes anyway and Wild West would be one of those obvious standard themes to use. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Gambling? You can gamble in pokemon games. I doubt that's an issue "in the US."

The barrens was themed after the african savanna... Not too many giraffes in the wild west.

Quote Originally Posted by BarosanuNr1 View Post
    Badlands is, visually, an adaptation of the Sonoran Desert. However, the quests don't seem to match the setting (and the story is all but nonexistent as far as I can tell).
    The badlands is a bit too sparse, and, as you said, the story really isn't there to back up any sort of wild west theming. I'd say that the old thousand needles was closer to being based on the west, specifically places like Bryce canyon. But again, the story wasn't really tailored to any sort of wild west theming.

The (classic) tauren zones have partial wild west influences since their race is inspired by the American Indians.
    Mulgore maybe, but the barrens were clearly African Savanna. Hence the giraffes, lions, and so forth.

Grizzly Hills is a mix of the Rocky Mountains (which I include in the notion of "wild west") and wild Siberia.
    Grizzly hills is much more pacific Northwest, especially with the redwood trees and trappers.

Also, I've always thought that Westfall has a wild west vibe (or at least had before Cataclysm).
    I'd say this is probably the closest, especially with the "outlaw towns" like old Moonbrook. You're correct in your assessment that it was very subdued, though. It still took a backseat to the "medieval human kingdom" vibe.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2017-07-23 at 10:41 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Gambling? You can gamble in pokemon games. I doubt that's an issue "in the US."
    That wasn't online and ESRB rating standards have changed. Gambling in any form effects the rating now (though I'm not sure to what degree, so it may or may not mess with the teen rating) and US law frowns at online gambling. It's a grey area with 'made up' money (like wow gold) but wow tokens might make it too messy area for blizzard to bother with.

I can't think of any lore that would allow this (not that I'm opposed to a cowboy theme for certain aspects within a setting).

Westfall was kind of cowboy themed with VanCleef thugs and the place pretty much being a pseudo-desert. Nothing more recent though apart from Uldum, which was more of an Indiana Jones inspired theme.

the barrens has kind of a wild west feel to it. The Ratchet has kind of a dangerous feel to it on pvp servers as its a neutral city with pvp active.
    warp field to weaken its armor, let it close, then tech armor! - Turian hipster

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    OH GOD NOT AGAIN piss off with that idea.
    *Indiana jones theme played on kazoo in the background intensifies*

Imagine the Hearthstone "Mean streets of Gadgetzan" getting real in WoW! With a south seas expansion, we'll get Gadgetzan as the main hub. Lorewise it could have been expanded by the goblins and gnomes, reviving the city which is centered on the Tinker theme which also explains Tinker as new class. Imagine Gadgetzan then just like its fiction in Hearthstone!! Doesnt that sound cool?