Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Not just humans and orcs, not just medieval fantasy.
    Actually current WoW lore is just medieval fantasy with some ripped parts from cosmic opera and Ctulhu thingy. TBH Legion's goal - destroy whole universe to prevent bigger EVIL TENTACLES to reach it reminds me of Mass Effect 3 bullshit ending.

Uh, hate to break it to you, but April Fool's was months ago.

Deleted
    Lore is fine expect for the fact that atm they don't seem to follow chronicles lore, and this is pretty.....meh.

Also OP moaning for MOP Is a red flag for incompetence and therefore this thread is a pile of shit.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    The real reason I think things are getting really stupid now?

Blizzard: -releases Chronicles 1 & 2-
    Blizzard: -immediately contradicts them with Legion-

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    The real reason I think things are getting really stupid now?

Blizzard: -releases Chronicles 1 & 2-
    Blizzard: -immediately contradicts them with Legion-
    None of the Chronicle was outright contradicted with Legion, though. Maybe your interpretation of them was, but I haven't seen anyone bringing up any undeniable contradiction in 7.3 yet.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Yes, that's what I was saying.

I just dislike that I can't follow the lore fully inside the game because usually quests make me venture into organized raids. That is fine but I am sick of organized raids.
    While I can see where you are coming from, I'd like to say that WoW players actually have it easy. At least you don't have to:
    - Clear the game
    - Clear the game on higher difficulty
    - Clear the game on even higher difficulty
    - Repeat anove processes while making different choices / decisions at certain time
    - Buy the FanDisc #1
    - Buy FanDisc #2
    - Buy Side Material / Extra Material books
    - Read Nietzsche, Kafka, Goethe, Wagner & Kant's pieces to understand the story more than a surface level. Nah, jk on this.

All to get the full experience of the story in game and its setting. (I don't hate that, though, most of the time the stories are enjoyable enough to worth the time / effort)
    Last edited by Qualia; 2017-07-24 at 12:45 AM.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    It's been dead since WOTLK. The devs even said they never really even intended for WoW to last as long as it has. The lore ended where the lore in the RTS ended. They've just been pulling stuff (and worse quality stuff as it goes on) out of their asses to keep the cash cow going ever since.
    But Cata was sourced in RTS material too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    But Cata was sourced in RTS material too...
    Eh, not really. Deathwing was still alive, that much we knew from the RTS, everything else was new or an asspull (like Cho'gall being still alive, the twilight cult having more members than a fucking faction but nobody noticed).

10+ Year Old Account
    What a bunch of nonsense of a OP
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyduke View Post
    WE HATE EACH OTHER BUT THE REAL ENEMIES ARE OUT THERE SO LET'S HOLD HANDS TEMPORARILY! BEWARE WE WILL GO BACK TO BEING MEAN TO EACH OTHER IN THE NEXT EXPANSION.

But in the one after that... There will be another foe that will force a "temporary" truce.
    This whole "alliance vs horde" situation sprung from "we were living here and they are invaders". Now we all live here and invaders are still here. There was literally nothing to "war" part of warcraft but "these green hulky humans are invading our land!", there was no conflict at all, and when blizzard tried to forge a conflict between alliance and horde we get... well we get terramore and jaina, sylvanas and genn, which are disappointment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You mean a group of Soldiers that has seen the presence and destruction of beings that dwarf their Planet are beyond the petty Squabbles of the Horde and Alliance?

WELL I NEVER!

ITT : "I don't like it so it's dead"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyduke View Post
    There is NO Lore.

How can anyone argue with that when every ret paladin gets a free Ashbringer? And when that Ashbringer will be replaced by greens in the next expansion?
    Another one who doesn't get:
    1) Video game logic
    2) PC
    3) MMO
    part of this game and its lore.
    I'll try to explain it in few words - there is only one Ashbringer and it is in the hands of Retribution Paladin Player Character
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

IMO the problem with WoW lore is, that history spans tens of thousands of years on Azeroth yet the parts that concern us players is very limited. They should just make player characters have 10 thousand year life span too and tell stories that reflect that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    You mean a group of Soldiers that has seen the presence and destruction of beings that dwarf their Planet are beyond the petty Squabbles of the Horde and Alliance?

WELL I NEVER!
    After orcs basically settled down in kalimdor it was the end to the "war". They are no longer invaders, they are living there somewhat peacefully (fighting with elves over the forests, but even this can be solved diplomatically, since Tauren and NElves are not exactly enemies thanks to their druids they could benefit from each other by fucking trading). Seriously, when i try to list reasons for why this "horde vs alliance" bullshit exists i can't find any reasonable one except "fanboys can't accept that there is no war"

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    After orcs basically settled down in kalimdor it was the end to the "war". They are no longer invaders, they are living there somewhat peacefully (fighting with elves over the forests, but even this can be solved diplomatically, since Tauren and NElves are not exactly enemies thanks to their druids they could benefit from each other by fucking trading). Seriously, when i try to list reasons for why this "horde vs alliance" bullshit exists i can't find any reasonable one except "fanboys can't accept that there is no war"
    Pretty much well. I got bored of "RAWRRR!!! HORDE VS ALLIANCE!!!" in TBC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Pretty much well. I got bored of "RAWRRR!!! HORDE VS ALLIANCE!!!" in TBC.
    I also wonder why as a horde character i understand what alliance leaders say, do i know [common] now? Why don't i understand players then? Do faction leaders / neutral use some sort of [commonmultifraction] language to communicate that somehow can be understood by both sides, but none of these "sides" can talk in [commonmultifraction]?
    It's just confusing. I really loved what warcraft the movie did with language, but i fucking hate what the game did. I wish blizzard reimplement skill of learning language, make it affected by Int stat and add cross-faction language to learn, remake every single piece that ruins whole language barrier thing, throw in some "translator NPC" who vaguely translate what the fuck is varian yelling at when a green beam struck a guy with ashbringer instead of me mentally comprehending the unknown for me language of humies

7+ Year Old Account
    Topic starter is right. Modern blizzard writers are weak as sh1t. They lost real conflict. Warcraft conception at the beginning was - alliance have their antogonist in the horde's face, same with the horde. Third powers were something we had to deal with without any happiness by working together. I felt that in aq40 and naxx event. But such move was used too many times, each expansion horde and alliance unite against greater enemy, no place for conflict left, and conflict between factions is forgotten long time ago. Writers could do much better job. For real. Sorry for my english.
    One of the reason why this happened is that factions are not anymore isolated from each other. For real, i still think that people should not be allowed to create characters of both factions on same server. It adds epicness, sense that there is *other side we are competing with*. But, moment has lost long time ago, at the point where warcraft is now i dont think they can change conception of the game, they dont have will (balls) to take such risk.
    Last edited by Dentelan; 2017-07-24 at 10:20 AM.

Deleted
    Ah, so when some folks with experience of conflict with actual threats to Azeroth do in result rise above kill hoomanz zug zug, it's a dead lore. k. /thread

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dentelan View Post
    Topic starter is right. Modern blizzard writers are weak as sh1t. They lost real conflict. Warcraft conception at the beginning was - alliance have their antogonist in the horde's face, same with the horde. Third powers were something we had to deal with without any happiness by working together. I felt that in aq40 and naxx event. But such move was used too many times, each expansion horde and alliance unite against greater enemy, no place for conflict left, and conflict between factions is forgotten long time ago. Writers could do much better job. For real. Sorry for my english.
    One of the reason why this happened is that factions are not anymore isolated from each other. For real, i still think that people should not be allowed to create characters of both factions on same server. It adds epicness, sense that there is *other side we are competing with*. But, moment has lost long time ago, at the point where warcraft is now i dont think they can change conception of the game, they dont have will (balls) to take such risk.
    Agreed 100%. In good old Warcraft races were facing Scourge/Burning Legion threats and still had time to kill each others. It's changed at Hyjal Battle but even then war reignited during TFT. I like Vanilla WoW - there still was world wide threat but A/H still had time and reasons to fight each others.

Stood in the Fire n7stormreaver's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwhale View Post
    It's changed at Hyjal Battle but even then war reignited during TFT.
    So at their very origin they united to defeat a threat that would destroy\conquer the entire world? And when there was nothing major they started fighting again.

How is that different from when they defeated Arthas, started all their war again (Invasion of Gilneas, Horde in Stonetalon, etc.) and then they suddenly realized that there is that thing that is able to rip the whole planet apart and somebody should probably do something about that?

And what happens after than? Oh right, Pandaria literally starts with factions being at war, gathering allies on a new land to kill each other, not even stopping in the face of Titan-Empowered Tyrant returned from Ancient Legends and still killing each other at the foothold of his palace and then Horde collapses on itself and asks Alliance to clean up their mess.

And after that, they go to a world full of resources with each faction having foothold on different ends of it and still fighting over strategic point of Ashran. And then the same dude who united them back in WC3 appears again with intention to destroy everything and someone again has to do something about it.

And then suddenly a largest Legion invasion happens and from a story standpoint every dead soldier from each side will bring the world where both factions live, in peace or war, closer to being annihilated.

Now please, point out where exactly in this abridged story line of past 7+ years of Warcraft do you think they could have crammed in more "war" that would also make sense.

P.S: Having a war while your world is about to be destroyed by dragons, elementals or demons does not make sense.
    Space magic.

Deleted
    The lore is not dead.

But i dislike that the writters turn toward peace between the factions.
    I rather see them go full on war between the two and make factions win and lose zones between exp packs.

War makes good heroes and villians, peace between the factions make the game boring and feel empty.
    I just see Legion right now and i never disliked the Horde story as mutch in all of the Warcraft games.