Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Yeah, so why are you criticising people for using the internet as a resource to accomplish just that?

I mean, it's significantly more useful than just spamming CNN articles and making contemptuously 'hospitable' remarks.
    Did I actually "criticize" people? If anything it is you that is being critical of me my friend.
    What one person sees as useless another may see as useful. Just as the saying goes, " one person's trash is another's treasure". There are many on this forum that cannot see the forest for the trees. With experience they will learn though. Everything people learn comes from experience.
    Enjoy your week everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Did I actually "criticize" people? If anything it is you that is being critical of me my friend.
    What one person sees as useless another may see as useful. Just as the saying goes, " one person's trash is another's treasure". There are many on this forum that cannot see the forest for the trees. With experience they will learn though. Everything people learn comes from experience.
    Enjoy your week everyone.
    Good, because I am being critical of you for your entirely predictable posting strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Oh fuck you all pretending you know what any of this shit means.
    I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Good, because I am being critical of you for your entirely predictable posting strategy.
    As is yours my friend. I am not here to be unpredictable. If that is supposed to be an insult it fell short my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    If one were to ask me or anyone any question here they could pretend to be an "expert" on the subject matter because we have access to the internet. All one has to do is simply look the question up and they are instantly an internet "expert".
    We have plenty of internet 'experts' on MMOC and around the world.

Now, get them away from the internet where they have to apply that knowledge practically those so called "experts" will be dumbfounded.
    Being able to remember things is not expertise, well expertise at remembering things perhaps, but anyone can do that if they have access to books or the Internet, like you mentioned. But some people understand (the how's & the why's) these things, they can explain them, re-formulate them in layman terms etc - that's expertise in whatever relevant field is in discussion.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    Anyone mind explaining what the practical use could be?
    Likely none, I expect its half life is pretty tiny.
    RETH

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Likely none, I expect its half life is pretty tiny.
    The subject line is inaccurate - they are 'quasiparticles', not 'particles' and thus they don't necessarily have short half-lifes as one would expect from a discovered new elementary particle.

It is claimed that they might be useful for making quantum computers more stable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    Oh I've waited for this comment... *sigh*
    What? It's my money funding these researchers. I don't expect them to discover useless stuff for the fun of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Being able to remember things is not expertise, well expertise at remembering things perhaps, but anyone can do that if they have access to books or the Internet, like you mentioned. But some people understand (the how's & the why's) these things, they can explain them, re-formulate them in layman terms etc - that's expertise in whatever relevant field is in discussion.
    The way I understand it is that math predicted this particle and now that the particle has been found it's backing up the math so I guess the math was theoretical for a time.

If there's a layman's explanation out there I would like to see it. The math can describe it but the human mind has trouble with it. One of the particles when you split it creates two particles that have more mass than the original particle. *shrug*

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    I don't know man, I bet satan just put them there to test our faith and they aren't actually real.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    Aaaaand that's exactly the kind of reply I anticipated. Well done.
    That's two times in a row. Must be psychic..
    *puts tinfoil hat on*.

Leave it to the MMOC Gen OT forum to turn a story about physics particles into a giant argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Souls View Post
    Leave it to the MMOC Gen OT forum to turn a story about physics particles into a giant argument.
    I don't see a giant argument. But it is possible that this thread was it's own anti-thread and their sums are larger than their individual greatnesses.

My mind can't really grasp it, but I'm sure the math is out there somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    So.what does that mean : that if two identical particles meet they cancel each other out?

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic but you're probably actually right. It doesn't take much to realize that some posters here are actually pretty well educated in a diverse set of fields. Of course, you'd have to have some basic understanding of several fields yourself to realize that probably.

You seem envious.

- - - Updated - - -

They might be able to fool you since you already lack any real understanding of the topic but it wouldn't take much to realize they didn't actually have a clue what's going on. It becomes pretty evidence pretty quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't even fucking realize the irony in this response, do you?

- - - Updated - - -

You think people who study these things don't have free time? Just because you never understand basic algebra in four years of high school doesn't mean it's that tough for everyone else.

- - - Updated - - -

You're not contributing anything to the conversation and just here to bash people who are. Grow up.

- - - Updated - - -

Uh, how is it your money exactly? Most money for universities come from private donors that are alumni. Even the main university is a fucking private one.
    The largest bulk of scientific funding at the university level is government funded my friend.
    A breakdown from my alma mater.
    http://www.science.tamu.edu/research/funding.php

An article from Boston University.
    http://www.bu.edu/research/articles/...ific-research/

Enjoy the rest of your evening everyone.
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-07-25 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    So.what does that mean : that if two identical particles meet they cancel each other out?
    Yes, the (quasi-)particles disappear in a tiny explosion of energy (that may have other effects).

We already have that with photons (and Z0 and some others) - what is new is that they are fermions, i.e. have half-integer spin.

If a particle contains both matter and anti matter, it can be used as a building block without any extra refinement. The higgs boson field is basically a glue that holds other molecules together. The only way to witness these particles would be a quantum computer.
    Last edited by Hooked; 2017-07-25 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Souls View Post
    Many people on here live to argue. Sometimes it is best to simply ignore them. The most entertaining part is watching them echo off each other.

That's for a public university, not a private. Regardless, it's still a piss poor argument for someone to sit there and say, "I'm paying for this funding so we should only work on things we know have a real world use!" If you knew even the slightest bit about scientific advancement you would know why that's a stupid fucking argument.
    Except that the ones doing the research are aware of that sentiment and actually claim there might be real world uses for their discovery (according to the video they made presenting it) - and not just the claim that they might serendipitously invent teflon or internet.

That's for a public university, not a private. Regardless, it's still a piss poor argument for someone to sit there and say, "I'm paying for this funding so we should only work on things we know have a real world use!" If you knew even the slightest bit about scientific advancement you would know why that's a stupid fucking argument.
    Actually, there's a good case to be made that "let the scientists do what they want" is seriously flawed and its benefits grossly exaggerated.

http://www.thenewatlantis.com/public...saving-science
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"