Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I think the bigger issue is (And this actually is a point of annoyance for me) "Apps" are not "Programs", and in turn cannot be found in the Programs area to be removed. And sometimes Programs can't be found in the Apps and Programs area, either.

That... seems more like a 'you problem' and not a 'windows problem'. You don't have to do any of that, except for your own personal feel-goods. Most people just don't want ads and stuff showing up in their start area. It takes 5 minutes to fix when you first install W10 and done with it forever.

Which is fine, but they still can regardless. The campaign was just to spur things.

- - - Updated - - -

The Mail App is atrocious. It works good for...... some people. And some things. Form a technician's standpoint and having to fix it constantly, it's a bigger pile than Outlook Express or Windows Live Mail ever was.
    Really? Mail App works wonders for me. One click and I can keep upto date with stuff. But I can understand if it doesn't for everyone. Everyone will have different experiences.

Which is fine, but they still can regardless. The campaign was just to spur things.
    Where though? Website only sells it and after the pop up was removed, no option within the OS itself either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Really? Mail App works wonders for me. One click and I can keep upto date with stuff. But I can understand if it doesn't for everyone. Everyone will have different experiences.
    My main issue with it is compatibility and organization. Its great if you just want to check your mail and be done with it. But importing to, or exporting from, is a ridiculous pain, and it gives fits on occasion with certain imap servers (For what reason I havent been able to pin down)
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Where though? Website only sells it and after the pop up was removed, no option within the OS itself either.
    You download the ISO on their site and use your 7/8.1 key to upgrade.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

Best part about it being linked to your MS account is that you can use it on a brand new PC if you have it saved to DVD/USB. As long as you log in with that MS account when you setup.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-07-25 at 08:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You literally upgrade and put your Win7 key in as the activation license.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

My main issue with it is compatibility and organization. Its great if you just want to check your mail and be done with it. But importing to, or exporting from, is a ridiculous pain, and it gives fits on occasion with certain imap servers (For what reason I havent been able to pin down)
    The app is made to work seamlessly with the Microsoft account you use to log into the OS, and it does that really well.

More complicated uses? Yeah, it can get frustating easily.

One thing I would like to get rid of on Windows 10 personally is all the Xbox stuff. Sadly doesn't seem it can be uninstalled but thankfully disabled most of it.

I mean I do have an Xbox One but I have no intent of using the features for it on Windows 10.

10+ Year Old Account
    The app is made to work seamlessly with the Microsoft account you use to log into the OS, and it does that really well.

More complicated uses? Yeah, it can get frustating easily.
    I'll admit, I am a bit biased, as much of my experience is people who were on XP/Vista/7 using Office 2003/2007, and when they upgrade to Win10 and don't have a key to reinstall... Moving that data over is just... hgblergh. We usually end up just installing Thunderbird.
    Last edited by chazus; 2017-07-25 at 08:20 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gunchix View Post
    Yuck, you're one of the braindeads that has jumped in the bandwagon and calls programs apps? one more reason not to use win 10.
    Apps on a pc. get real microsh*t
    Apps is short for Applications. Apps IT. Apps Support. Apps Division. Long before smart phones and the App store. Windows Store also does updates for all major applications if companies want them there. Gone are the days of browsing to multiple websites to update or find a service pack. Centralized updating benefits everyone.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

That... seems more like a 'you problem' and not a 'windows problem'. You don't have to do any of that, except for your own personal feel-goods. Most people just don't want ads and stuff showing up in their start area. It takes 5 minutes to fix when you first install W10 and done with it forever.
    Of course you have to. Unless you have given up on your privacy forever. The whole operating system is full of spyware, bloatware and adds. Why would I want to use that ? I can't think of a single reason...

I kind of like my setup - Linux as a base OS, then qemu/kvm and Windows with a graphics card attached to the VM via PCI passthrough. Then I can do most of the "insecure" stuff in Windows - like gaming, and I can do most of my work and personal life related stuff in Linux. Works fine in Windows 7, and I can probably migrate it to 10, but I just don't want to.
    KVM is an amazing technology, there is nothing that even comes close to it. I'm getting 98% of the performance of a native Windows install, including the GPU...
    Last edited by haxartus; 2017-07-25 at 12:21 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    Who is honestly still using Windows XP or Vista? I mean i know somewhere in the world that may be someones only choice but these OS are ancient now.
    My dad actually decided to look through the attic of older PCs and scrapped together an XP PC so he could try out some games that just doesn't work very well with Windows 10. Of course, he DOES have a windows 10 PC, but it's a fun side-project for him!

But yeah, using XP seriously for your normal PC? Eh.. can't think of anyone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    good. i would not support things on outdated, vulnerable systems either.
    And also as an IT professional 99% of windows 7 issues with drivers, bluetooth, printers, office, email and other problems have been fixed simply by upgrading to 10 so I really don't understand the push back aside from "OMG IT LOOKS DIFFERENT...HISSSSSSSSSS"
    in 3 years Blizz will add win 7 to that list as well so you'll upgrade eventually.....
    What? As an IT professional, i hate windows 10, and i "hate" any of our clients who use windows 10. Its literally problems on top of problems on top of problems. Every update i spend 1 week fixing issues on clients pcs(via remote control like logmein or teamviewer) caused by windows 10 update. Printers stop working, win 10 no longer recognizing them, network not working, PCs not seeing each other, settings changing on their own or resetting to defaults etc. Win 7? No issues, everything works, can see everything, all drivers are out there(and that is funny, because literally every client has 1 pc with win7 for all the stuff that wont work on win10, and they have to switch to it completely for a while every update/change in win10 till its fixed on all their other pcs). Win7, set them once, its set forever and everything works.
    In couple of years since win 10 became the only option, ive had more issues with them and had to work more fixing stuff than with whole lifespan of win xp and win 7 combined.

Ive got in fight with my boss who got windows 10 on everything in our company, as he is like "its new, and faster", and then i have to deal with all the issues. Hell, recently i had to remove win 10 from one PC and install win7 that no one works on, just for certain stuff that just cant be done and doesnt work on win 10.
    Funny enough, now couple of years afterwards, he(boss) hates it and is threatening buying Macs or going Linux, because he has issues on win10 literally every single day. And my PC still has win 7, and i had no issues since i installed them. Everything needed for work in our company works on my pc with 7, and is either insane trouble and days or weeks wasted trying to get it to work on win10 or we never get it to work at all (the reason why i had to put win7 on one new pc just so people that need to do some of those things can just sit at that pc and do it, and not bother me with it all the time).

I facepalm every time i see someone saying "just get win 10, its much better". They are probably worse than even win8 and vista, yet so many are forcing them on everyone. I dislike that win 7 removed some features and options that xp had(their ongoing crusade against features and options, as everything has to be for noobs so they cant mess stuff up, but us who know how to make use of those features, screw us. And thats been just worse and worse with 8 and now 10), but win7 is still light years ahead of win10. I just dont see how can anyone in their right mind recommend win10 to anyone, unless they have something to gain from it of course, or its your only pc and you do nothing at all on it except gaming.
    Or those that just check mail, use word and stuff like that, the most basic of things. Stuff that windows are made for now. Anything other than basics and its became worse and worse with each new release.

Only hope is that win7 will last until they release good ones again. 8 and 10 are just garbage(design wise) and just spawn more problems.
    Last edited by mmoc93208f15ee; 2017-07-25 at 12:38 PM.

There is not a single reason to linger behind on xp or vista and not swap to 10. You didn't get it when it was free. Well, that's your mistake.. Hell, even windows 7 and 8 is old garbage by now.

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    There is not a single reason to linger behind on xp or vista and not swap to 10. You didn't get it when it was free. Well, that's your mistake.. Hell, even windows 7 and 8 is old garbage by now.
    XP never got a free upgrade campaign. Not sure if Vista got the GWX thing either in the first year.

programs like shutup10 can disable ads and spying quite easily

Quote Originally Posted by khazlol View Post
    programs like shutup10 can disable ads and spying quite easily
    I guess it's a question of principle: why should I need a third party program to disable ads and spying baked into the Operating System itself? There shouldn't be any in the first place. Yeah i realize that anyone with a smart phone has that too, but that doesn't mean I want to tolerate it on a desktop OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    The Mail app does not work with thr "Focused Inbox" shit Microsoft is doing at all. It completely breaks it.

If you log into a microsoft email, hotmail, live, outlook whatever, it will show you ONLY what is in your "Focused" Inbox with no way to check anything else, meaning you lose access to 60% of emails.

Although granted FI does the same shit to my android Mail app too.

But yeah it's just not super fun to use and it can be rather buggy other than that

Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    Who is honestly still using Windows XP or Vista? I mean i know somewhere in the world that may be someones only choice but these OS are ancient now.

Although I no longer use XP, XP is far better then the shit Microsoft makes now in this "cell phone every one is connected world of ours". Soon will have windows 365 and you have a monthly subscription/annual subscription just to use you PC.

Consumers need more OS choices and big games need to support more OS choices.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    no..windows 10 is garbage. I want a PC not a ^&*%^*&%* cell phone.

And the future is going to get worst and worst.

Regardless what your personal decision is for os or your preference you have to accept everything moves forward. IIRC microsoft have stopped vista support havent they? Certainly xp, pray tell, if you were in charge, would you contuine to support older os's that the manufacturer doesnt? The answer is no, every time, any other answer is just stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by Banard View Post
    Although I no longer use XP, XP is far better then the shit Microsoft makes now in this "cell phone every one is connected world of ours". Soon will have windows 365 and you have a monthly subscription/annual subscription just to use you PC.

Consumers need more OS choices and big games need to support more OS choices.

- - - Updated - - -

no..windows 10 is garbage. I want a PC not a ^&*%^*&%* cell phone.

And the future is going to get worst and worst.
    Source on the bolded part? Or just wild speculation?

Also go look at the usage share for Linux and Mac OS. There is a reason most companies don't. It's not worth the hassle.

And no. Developers should not support old and outdated operating systems. They are making that crystal clear. The usage share for XP and Vista combined is less than 5% so why should devs bother supporting them especially when they are both outdated and barely used?

If anything gaming consumers should get with the times. And no that doesn't mean they should upgrade to 10. Means they should upgrade to 7. Especially if they want to continue playing Blizzard games.

They will support 7 for as long as it is viable because it is still widely used. After 2020 and when/if the usage share starts to decline heavily I imagine they will take the same approach to 7. Just speculation on my part though.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-07-25 at 03:01 PM.