Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know about other people but I consider my pet family so I'd find a way to save both. When my family adopts a dog it becomes a part of our family, it becomes my brother/sister or whenever I adopt a dog of my own which I hope to do someday it'll become my dog son/daughter. They're not just pet animals to me they become family.

For the sake of the thread though if it came down to only one choice, my human family member or my dog family member, I'd choose to save my human family member. As much as I love animals there comes a point in life where humans take priority. Cases like this is an example. If it were one of my human friends I'd also pick my human friend over my dog. Humans are unique you'll never find 2 of the same person. Dogs as much as I love them are mostly all the same with a few minor differences in behavior. All bark at nothing, chase squirrels and rabbits, eat random things off the floor, and can be taught the same tricks and commands and if treated right will love you all the same. You can't replace humans but dogs or cats, however, you can.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2017-07-26 at 02:29 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavey View Post
    I don't think I could ever martyr myself for someone else as my personal existence is better then non-existence. You can always have another kid, find another lover, spouse, but there isn't some magical way to return to the living.
    Let's hope you (and everyone here) will never have to choose then ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    If you had to choose between your pet, or your brother / sister / or any other member of your family (which includes husband / wife / GF / BF), in a life or death situation, which would you choose?

Imo Family comes first.
    Depends on the person, some people are not exactly worth it. Same for your pet, maybe it's a crappy dog that keeps shitting on the rug, kill that and get a new, better dog.

My wife? Yes.
    My parents? Yes.

The rest of my extended family (I'm an only child): No. I don't dislike any of them, but I'm not terribly close to any of them either. My dogs and cat mean more to me.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah....sorry fluffy...family comes first.

Familia es todos.

Pets are family members.

And I don't adhere to some romantic (Religious) notion that human life is sacred. I wouldn't expect "family" I don't get along with to sacrifice their pets for me, I wouldn't sacrifice my pets to keep them alive. And I'm entirely sane, despite how some try to dismiss what others are saying on principle because it hurts their feewings!

Mother - Of course
    Father - Of course
    Siblings - Of course
    Grandmother - Yes
    1 of my Uncles - Yes
    Cousins - Hell no
    The other distant uncles - Fuck no, one of them is a convicted paedophile as well whom ruined many lives
    Half-Aunts - Hell to the no, one of them acted as a curator for a retired old woman, and skinned her completely and left her in financial ruin.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-07-26 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    My wife? Yes.
    My parents? Yes.

The rest of my extended family (I'm an only child): No. I don't dislike any of them, but I'm not terribly close to any of them either. My dogs and cat mean more to me.
    That's incredibly selfish. Death of even the most extended family member would have lasting impact on those close to them, you can always get another pet. And this is coming from an animal lover who has gone through the death of various pets throughout my life.

OT, not even a choice, family. Like someone else in the thread said, the only sane choice is saving a human over an animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    Depends on the person, some people are not exactly worth it. Same for your pet, maybe it's a crappy dog that keeps shitting on the rug, kill that and get a new, better dog.
    ... This explains how the shelters are so filled with unwanted "problem dogs" though I suppose...

There is a dependency upon which family member is on the chopping block, as it were.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

10+ Year Old Account
    Im on good terms with most of my family, so yeah,

Although if I had a choice between my pets and my stepuncle who divorced my stepaunt and married the girl he cheated on her with, Id let that dude die. Sorry dude's wife and kid, but ya'll aint worth shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Depends on the family member.
    This right here.
    "How many eyes does Lord Bloodraven have? A thousand eyes, and one."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Pets are family members.
    I cant agree with you on this. Family members are your blood. You have a Mom and Dad and Brothers and Sisters, later on you have a Wife and kids, thats your family.

I'm sorry to say, my pooch is out if it means my wife is going to die otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulune View Post
    That's incredibly selfish. Death of even the most extended family member would have lasting impact on those close to them, you can always get another pet. And this is coming from an animal lover who has gone through the death of various pets throughout my life.

OT, not even a choice, family. Like someone else in the thread said, the only sane choice is saving a human over an animal.
    Of course it is. The nature of the question is selfish. My pets are more important to me than other people. I place a higher emphasis on my own happiness than I do on the happiness of others. Therefore...

Depends entirely on which family member.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    ... This explains how the shelters are so filled with unwanted "problem dogs" though I suppose...
    Shelters take dead dogs now?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ButterBeast View Post
    No sane person would let an animal live over a human in any real situation.
    What if said human was a murder that you disowned or something worse.
    Personally I wouldn't sacrifice anyone in my family for a pet except maybe one inlaw that isn't realy in the family

Yes...without question.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

I'd kill my pet with my bare hands. Love it but....you gotta go. My animals understand that if they need to be sacrificed, they are ready and willing. Or at least this is what I tell them sometimes.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

I'd sacrifice my pet for a stranger's life. People are more important than pets, and the love I bear for mine doesn't change that.